• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2020 Fishing thread

Pro with the 3rd lens. No idea which lens it used. I just opened CAMERA and went "click." It was shockingly orange and on teh bottom and very mottled. Hence the pic in the first place. Most bluegill I end up accidentally catching get tossed back double-quick. Guy attempted to swallow a full-sized spinnerbait. LOL.

Thank you. That’s the one she’s looking at.

When you look at it is crazy the things that they try to fit in their mouths.

Bob

Finally got my N.H. driver license so I could get my fishing license.
Been pulling small trout out of the CT river all week, and today I decided to keep a few for supper. Landed three decent meal sized rainbows.
In between fish two and three a canoe cane down the river, with two game wardens in it. I had my license in my phone, but they just looked me up by name, and went down the river. They came out of nowhere, though. So glad I made sure I didn’t fish until I was legal, I was tempted: after all I’ve never seen a game warden in MA, guess it’s different here.

Finally got my N.H. driver license so I could get my fishing license.
Been pulling small trout out of the CT river all week, and today I decided to keep a few for supper. Landed three decent meal sized rainbows.
In between fish two and three a canoe cane down the river, with two game wardens in it. I had my license in my phone, but they just looked me up by name, and went down the river. They came out of nowhere, though. So glad I made sure I didn’t fish until I was legal, I was tempted: after all I’ve never seen a game warden in MA, guess it’s different here.

I have seen far more Wardens in Connecticut than in Massachusetts.

Bob

I think Mass is understaffed. And under-fished. Probably more at the coast due to SW regs Than in a pond or river. NH has Ltd sea coast.

The canal has been steadily heating up. This was the first of 7 fish, all relatively small, the biggest going 22lbs on the boga. My dad caught the fish of the day, 32.28 lbs.

Attachments

• 2CBF4A2A-414B-406B-804C-33DAA1921323.png
    2CBF4A2A-414B-406B-804C-33DAA1921323.png
    120.1 KB · Views: 15
The canal has been steadily heating up. This was the first of 7 fish, all relatively small, the biggest going 22lbs on the boga. My dad caught the fish of the day, 32.28 lbs.

Awesome!

LOL not so awesome for me. Was finally able to have my knee surgery done and I'm sure the big ditch will be slow before I'm able to crawl up and down those boulders again.

You know, I thought it might be. But I've never seen them in the lake. Ever. Seen em in the river. Hence the vivid colors, eh?

Picked up a new raddison 14 foot canoe over the weekend. Been eyeballing those for a few years. Found one new for a decent price and got it Saturday. 41 pounds and I can load and carry it by myself. My old town was just getting too heavy for me to load and tote alone (85 pounds). Took it out Sunday afternoon with my son and caught a dozen crappie in an hour on in line spinners. Tons of fun on ultra light rods and light line. I had not been canoe fishing in over a year because I dreaded loading and unloading the old town. I can load the raddison on my truck with the extended bumper bar in no time now. Will be heading out again tonight.....basically I'm back on the water because of this very light and easy to deal with canoe. It paddles ok.....not as maneuverable as the old town but it's a good trade off to be able to handle it when loading so much easier.

Last edited:
I have seen far more Wardens in Connecticut than in Massachusetts.

Bob
Been fishing in mass my whole life. Had my license checked by an epo only one time.

In NH I fish occasionally.......maybe once every other year. Been checked 3 times up there.

From last year but a sample of the fish at “The River”.

A river chub, lol. I always called them shiners or suckers but the past few years here they have been getting much bigger in size.
A81AD065-BA2B-4F19-9CAC-0D0EE2A598B2.jpeg

Nice. Congratulations!
BTW: I fished the CCC yesterday AM... by 4:30AM there were fisherman 10 FEET apart from the RR bridge almost 1/2 mile away toward the Bourne! :( The parking lot was almost full too!

What a difference a week makes...NO crowds last week at the same time!
BUT I did see a number of stripers caught...which was also different from last week! ;)

Seriously???

I was down there height of full-moon in. . . . July (or August) 2018 and it wasn't that bad. You didn't have to go 1/2 mile to find a spot with no one around. It was busy, but not crazy.

It was a weekday AM. I think a Friday.

I guess enough people aren't working so getting up at 3am and back to bed at 7 for a few hours is allowed on a Monday.

From last year but a sample of the fish at “The River”.

A river chub, lol. I always called them shiners or suckers but the past few years here they have been getting much bigger in size.
View attachment 367469
We always called those Creek chubs (I'll admit that may not be the correct common name.....but that what we called them). Used to use em for striper bait. Catch a couple on a tiny hook and a piece of worm in the shawsheen and toss em in a bucket of water then head over to the Merrimac and live line them.

Last edited:
Picked up a new raddison 14 foot canoe over the weekend. Been eyeballing those for a few years. Found one new for a decent price and got it Saturday. 41 pounds and I can load and carry it by myself. My old town was just getting too heavy for me to load and tote alone (85 pounds). Took it out Sunday afternoon with my son and caught a dozen crappie in an hour on in line spinners. Tons of fun on ultra light rods and light line. I had not been canoe fishing in over a year because I dreaded loading and unloading the old town. I can load the raddison on my truck with the extended bumper bar in no time now. Will be heading out again tonight.....basically I'm back on the water because of this very light and easy to deal with canoe. It paddles ok.....not as maneuverable as the old town but it's a good trade off to be able to handle it when loading so much easier.View attachment 367445View attachment 367446
Nice. I have one of those bed extenders sp.??? Great for lots of stuff.

We always called those Creek chubs (I'll admit that may not be the correct common name.....but that what we called them). Used to use em for striper bait. Catch a couple on a tiny hook and a piece of worm in the shawsheen and toss em in a bucket of water then head over to the Merrimac and live line them.
There is a creek and a hornhead but this one seems to be the general “River chub” from what I’ve found. Also, there is substanial hybridization of such species so who really know what it is. We were catching yellow perch there with no stripes whatsoever. Really weird.

Picked up a new raddison 14 foot canoe over the weekend. Been eyeballing those for a few years. Found one new for a decent price and got it Saturday. 41 pounds and I can load and carry it by myself. My old town was just getting too heavy for me to load and tote alone (85 pounds). Took it out Sunday afternoon with my son and caught a dozen crappie in an hour on in line spinners. Tons of fun on ultra light rods and light line. I had not been canoe fishing in over a year because I dreaded loading and unloading the old town. I can load the raddison on my truck with the extended bumper bar in no time now. Will be heading out again tonight.....basically I'm back on the water because of this very light and easy to deal with canoe. It paddles ok.....not as maneuverable as the old town but it's a good trade off to be able to handle it when loading so much easier.View attachment 367445View attachment 367446

Those are awesome canoes. They also make for a great hunting vehicle where a waterway will get you back into areas others can’t go.

Been fishing in mass my whole life. Had my license checked by an epo only one time.

In NH I fish occasionally.......maybe once every other year. Been checked 3 times up there.

We were checked during bear season last year. My friend had a crossbow and the EPO was asking for his crossbow permit. He told her it was printed on the license. She couldn’t find it so I had to show her where it is printed on the license.

She was a good egg though. Just a paper check and she was off.

Bob

Those are awesome canoes. They also make for a great hunting vehicle where a waterway will get you back into areas others can’t go.

We were checked during bear season last year. My friend had a crossbow and the EPO was asking for his crossbow permit. He told her it was printed on the license. She couldn’t find it so I had to show her where it is printed on the license.

She was a good egg though. Just a paper check and she was off.

Bob
I have heard they are a good duck hunting platform. I've never hunted ducks so can't speak to what is good in a canoe for that type of hunting. Seems like it would be fun to do though.

I have heard they are a good duck hunting platform. I've never hunted ducks so can't speak to what is good in a canoe for that type of hunting. Seems like it would be fun to do though.

With the foam flotation on the side and the floor they are very stable so I imagine that they would make a great duck platform.

You have to try pretty hard to roll them.

Bob

Seriously???

I was down there height of full-moon in. . . . July (or August) 2018 and it wasn't that bad. You didn't have to go 1/2 mile to find a spot with no one around. It was busy, but not crazy.

It was a weekday AM. I think a Friday.

I guess enough people aren't working so getting up at 3am and back to bed at 7 for a few hours is allowed on a Monday.

:pYup! I was complaining to my SO that the crowds were w/in the 'social distancing' of 6'....but my SO (as stickler for accuracy) told me NOT to exaggerate! ...and I agreed...and went up to 10' apart!

The place "cleared out" around 7am...by that I mean you could ALMOST be a comfortable distance from others while jigging....

Don't go on Saturday or Sunday if you like space! :(

Does anyone have a recommended portable fish finder setup for a canoe? One that can be removed easily to car-top it.

I’ve seen some YouTube videos but they are a few years old and the tech doesn’t seem to be available. Humminbird in particular makes or made a battery-powered unit that clamps onto the gunwales but I don’t think it’s available anymore.

Back
Top Bottom