• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2020 Fishing thread

Anyone doing well in the big ditch? Knee doing OK after surgery but I'm months away from being able to rock hop at the canal. Was dead quiet last time I went.
My son and i are heading down in a little while to see what's going on down there, I will let you know when i get back.

FINALLY hit fish on Sat AM. Foggy as S-word. Like, when I went out at 5:15, you couldn't see 100yds. It was spooky. My wife was all, "let's drive over to. . . " No. We can't see a damned thing. I don't need to get lost in teh middle of this lake!

So I worked my way to where I USUALLY know there is fish late-July. 6 fish. One Larry. 4 Sallies. One ugly-ass almost-a-pin Pick.

IMG_7592.jpg

I've taken the raddison canoe out about 8 times since I bought it last month. Wish I had bought one sooner. It's nice to be fishing again and not have to dread loading and unloading the canoe. It's a breeze to get in and out.

One con so far.....took it solo for the first time last night and it doesn't track as straight as I'm used to from the old town when going solo. Not terrible.....but it zig zags noticably alone and I'm damn good at j stroke and Canadian stroke and always can paddle from one side and keep a boat straight. With this one solo I find myself switching sides because the j stroke won't keep it on track very well. Small details but I'll take it vs the 85 pound Beast I was using.

Here on Wellesley Island.
A couple chubs, smalleys, and a sunfish. Unfortunately the sunfish have been decimated by round gobys eating their eggs. That was the rarest catch here. Pike are in deeper colder waters by now. Sheepheads are lazy. I can never catch them.
0073B585-5340-467C-9C58-8EDC9BB9019B.jpeg 4A6A21A7-EFE1-47BB-B5EF-2895F6569535.jpeg 50F01DA2-BD28-40B3-9F30-A6841A72D9E4.jpeg 48AE8B40-E4BE-4E10-99BB-D32C1C925E16.jpeg

Last edited:
Spent the morning in Chadwick pond Haverhill in the canoe with the wife. Bought a dozen shiners had a good morning. Wife got a 3.5 pound Larry her first in a rod that big.....she's got bigger than that through the ice though she was happy. Got my shiners at Merrimack bait and tackle old Donnie is a riot......paid for a dozen medium shiners......went through at least a dozen on the lake this morning and still more than a dozen left over 🤣. He's the best and I'll never buy bait anywhere else.

Also.....I absolutely love this canoe 20200725_072055.jpg

Last edited:
Everybody and their mothers was fishing up in the Whites this past weekend. Frekkin everyone. Trout, small mouth, sunfish, you name it. Echo lake, Saco, Stinson, Lincoln brook, Lonesome lake, etc. One of the best fishing summers in years.

Put up a good fight?
Definitely. These smally’s and largemouths will leap out of the water when caught. I don’t spend the time to weigh and measure as I like to get the fish back in the water as quick as possible. Futzin around over the past years has been detrimental to some big fish I’ve caught.

Nice..I'll be down in Centerville this weekend...I hope to do some surf casting... I'd like to hit Dowses...anything going on there?

Oh sorry I didn’t see your question until now.
I used to fish Dowses often when I lived near there. I’m a few towns away now but I did go down there in May for my first time wetting a line this year. No bites. I’ve caught some big fish there back in the day.

I have been in Maine on vacation. The water is crystal clear and loaded with fish. I have caught dozens of smallmouth. I have also been catching 12 and 13 inch yellow perch. I filleted several and it was delicious.
Oh yea perch is great eating

I have been in Maine on vacation. The water is crystal clear and loaded with fish. I have caught dozens of smallmouth. I have also been catching 12 and 13 inch yellow perch. I filleted several and it was delicious.

If you take a hook, some line, and a small ballon you can keep track of the school until you have your limit if you want that many.

Attach the hook, 4’ of line or so, and ballon to the first one you catch and toss it back in. The fish will rejoin the school and you will be able to follow them.

Bob

If you take a hook, some line, and a small ballon you can keep track of the school until you have your limit if you want that many.

Attach the hook, 4’ of line or so, and ballon to the first one you catch and toss it back in. The fish will rejoin the school and you will be able to follow them.

Bob
Wow that's a great idea.

Back
Top Bottom