• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2021/2022 Upland Hunting

I don't know about that. I've shot some absolute borderline small turkey sized roosters this year in MA. No complaints on the state birds here.

What is that 16Ga O/U you are using? Looks like a nice gun......I nearly bought a Browning 16ga lightning this year...but it got sold before I could get up to KTP with a trade.

I ended up getting a 28gauge...which actually has been very effective and nice to carry.

I don't know about that. I've shot some absolute borderline small turkey sized roosters this year in MA. No complaints on the state birds here.

What is that 16Ga O/U you are using? Looks like a nice gun......I nearly bought a Browning 16ga lightning this year...but it got sold before I could get up to KTP with a trade.

I ended up getting a 28gauge...which actually has been very effective and nice to carry.
Doesn't seem to be the case in the western half of the state... birds have been pretty small.

Either way.. the shotgun is a FAIR NEA 400.
I love it... would buy another for a spare in a heartbeat. I keep looking.

Doesn't seem to be the case in the western half of the state... birds have been pretty small.

Either way.. the shotgun is a FAIR NEA 400.
I love it... would buy another for a spare in a heartb. I keep looking.
Ive seen FAIR doubles before but never an O/U. They are nice guns

Saturday mornings are for the dogs. We usually get our limits but have to work for them working up and down, back and forth through different parts of the cover. Not this time. One pass from one end to the other and we were done.

Dogs were great. Weather was perfect. Breakfast came earlier than usual!

View: https://youtu.be/5yh0IbWCs-E

Dogs were great. Weather was perfect. Breakfast came earlier than usual!

Great to watch that springer working. My girl is 13 and getting lame, but she used to cover ground like that and she's still got an amazing nose. Is that the Southwick WMA?

Had to pull down some stands and cams yesterday morning, before the SG season starts. I'm all done on state birds anyway.

Shot a couple roosters this morning on the preserve cleanup hunt with the Ruger 28. Regular Season's come to an end for me. Not hunting next week at all.

I'll be doing Addieville and/or preserve hunts once a month from here on out if the weather isn't too bad.

Attachments

• A291B82F-589F-488C-89BF-D94E31DFB120.jpeg
    A291B82F-589F-488C-89BF-D94E31DFB120.jpeg
    706.8 KB · Views: 15
  • B7557F29-8FF9-468D-A497-6AC1CB6C5392.jpeg
    B7557F29-8FF9-468D-A497-6AC1CB6C5392.jpeg
    541 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I see next year MA Fish & Game will require a $4.00 pheasant/quail permit.
And they've removed the 6 bird max on total pheasant take.

I bet they will base the number of pheasants they stock on the number of pheasant stamps sold. I fully expect the numbers of pleasant stocked to go dowwn.
I was told as it stands right now they have no clue how many people hunt pheasant in MA and selling permits should help them identify number of hunters. Hopefully it helps.

I bet they will base the number of pheasants they stock on the number of pheasant stamps sold. I fully expect the numbers of pleasant stocked to go dowwn.
In my opinion this was a very good year, and stocking was better than other years. This may have been by design to feel good about paying, but I also heard some spots ( Bolton Flats) flooded and not stocked. My area of Central MA may have gotten more birds than normal because of that.

I will let you know if the number goes down. Our club gets the same allotment of pheasants every year.

We pay for at least the food part raising our birds to the tune of $2500 a year....yet we still have to let the public hunt them as well.

Not really sure what the stamp fee is for.......Local Clubs pay a lot of freight for raising and stocking birds.

Whatever, the season limit will be gone and Ill be shooting a hell of a lot of birds if that's the case.

I was told as it stands right now they have no clue how many people hunt pheasant in MA and selling permits should help them identify number of hunters. Hopefully it helps.
Its definately down in my book compared to years ago. The pressure where I hunt is very low mid week now. 4 times after work I hit areas that were stocked and pretty much untouched. Which is a blessing and a curse, you get your two birds in like 15 mins and the dog gets no workout. I had to go to shooting roosters only and letting hens fly.

Older hunters dying off and younger people not getting into sporting dogs, as they can expensive and time consuming. Everyone I see out there is over 50 nowadays, and thats the young crowd. My dad who is 80 and people his age aren't busting brush for pheasants anymore, that's for sure.

I see next year MA Fish & Game will require a $4.00 pheasant/quail permit.
And they've removed the 6 bird max on total pheasant take.
If you talk pheasant hunting, we have a good program. 4.00 is cheap if the hunting quality stays. Shit...20 dollars is cheap.

Go hunt a preserve....your paying 25 a bird or more and 3-400 a hunt, granted you can shoot 10 or so birds...but still. I've had some really good hunts, fields to myself full of birds this year, just as good as some of my preserve hunts, and its 5 mins from my house. I have a hard time complaining about it.

Deer hunting....different story.

Nice. Interested to see how the breed does. Lot of hunting were bred out of them for show dogs back in the day.

But they are a nice small dog. And if I get another dog it might be a cocker. Getting older and need something I can keep up with next time.

Nice. Interested to see how the breed does. Lot of hunting were bred out of them for show dogs back in the day.

But they are a nice small dog. And if I get another dog it might be a cocker. Getting older and need something I can keep up with next time.
I hunted with a cocker that was a hunting machine. It wasn't planned, it just worked out that way. She hunted alongside a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon, and they complemented each other very well (pheasant & rabbit). I won't know for some time how well this dog works on birds, but she's a very alert little dog and picks up training tasks quickly for being only 10 weeks old. And she's got no problem going out in the rain and putting her nose to the ground. She does have her webbed paws, so I'm hopeful her hunting instinct is intact as well.

I hunted with a cocker that was a hunting machine. It wasn't planned, it just worked out that way. She hunted alongside a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon, and they complemented each other very well (pheasant & rabbit). I won't know for some time how well this dog works on birds, but she's a very alert little dog and picks up training tasks quickly for being only 10 weeks old. And she's got no problem going out in the rain and putting her nose to the ground. She does have her webbed paws, so I'm hopeful her hunting instinct is intact as well.
Let me know if you need some wings. Can mail you a few.

Still finding a few birds down in CT taking advantage of their late pheasant season.

271243176_4729953987084016_1945795738584599127_n.jpg

271236730_4729953997084015_5093518081390194387_n.jpg

I would have gone today to Addie with the warmer weather....but feeling kinda shxtty.

Next day that's on the warmer side....I'm headed down there to do a chukar hunt.

Looking to get into pheasant hunting in 2022 in MA this fall when the season opens. Raising a GSP who will be doing her best alongside me.

Can anyone recommend some guided hunts for new folks that are open to people who aren't a member of a private club? If I understand correctly, private/guided hunts can operate outside of the "normal" season (at least in NY, I believe).

Looking to get into pheasant hunting in 2022 in MA this fall when the season opens. Raising a GSP who will be doing her best alongside me.

Can anyone recommend some guided hunts for new folks that are open to people who aren't a member of a private club? If I understand correctly, private/guided hunts can operate outside of the "normal" season (at least in NY, I believe).

Addieville.

Addieville East Farm: Hunting

While Addieville does have a membership program, the membership functions more like a discount with perks than a "only members can hunt here" gatekeeping function. Addieville has (a) guide(s) if you need one. Nonmembers can book a hunt a week or less in advance. Go shoot sporting clays and book a hunt while you're there.

There's also Green Mountain Shooting Preserve in NH:

RATES

Which is also open to nonmembers.

Give Scott at New England Upland a call:

I think he will have birds all winter right through April.

Where did you get your pup? Have you considered joining a NAVHDA club for training your pup? I highly recommend it!

Back
Top Bottom