2021 CMP M1 Garand Clinic/Games/Match @ OCSA Pembroke Ma.

mac1911

NES Member
UPDATE: Please contact the program director prior to attending if you will need ammo as with everyone supplies are limited and cost of course may change.

NEVER SHOT A GARAND? WANT TO TRY? COME DOWN!
MATCH READY RIFLES ARE AVAILABLE FOR USE.

LINKS TO SCHEDULES FOR CMP GAMES. THERE IS ALWAYS A SECONDARY MATCH RUNNING WITH THE M1 GARAND CLINIC/MATCH

Click on flyer below to see other events
Modern Military-ARs, M1a, 308 M1. FAL, SKS, AK , and other semi auto military style rifles
Vintage- All bolt action military style foreign and non springfield US service rifles
SpringField Match- 1903/A3 as issued match

Also if you have a rilfe you want to shoot under match conditions come on down. As long as there is room on the line you can shoot. You just shoot what is called "out of competition" so no trinkets for you.

CLICK ON THE GARAND SCHEDULE BELOW TO SEE THE OTHER FLYERS
If you have questions about the match and facilities please contact the match director on the flyer, general questions can be asked here in the thread

i will post Flyers soon, dates are as follows.

See Flyers below for details , match and club specific questions contact Match Director on flyer
General Questions can be asked here.

M1 Garand Clinic Flyer

View: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ws8G77YXRfa0JGhQK-7o5GW7wtzFakZZ/view?usp=sharing

Modern Military Flyer

View: https://drive.google.com/file/d/17X52c1wLZ8Om6qow1Wz7TQIDCjxXGIVB/view

Springfield Match

View: https://drive.google.com/file/d/15e666ebqASoXPZfp_Atr_57fhp4Wpd-k/view?usp=sharing

Vintage Match

View: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WR8UfbtSvi5cn-PYyfMvUK3BbdZEcP7m/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
I gotta make it down to one of these matches sometime.....being an hour and a half away doesn't make it easy

No, but it's a good time. Regardless of level, you'll improve your shooting skills and enjoy some camaraderie. I make most if not all of these and I'm 1 hour 40 minutes away.

There are many who simply come to shoot their military rifles and have fun. If you want to take the competition seriously and can win matches at Pembroke, such scores would be solid at Camp Perry Nationals- maybe top 20 or better in the 'Games' events.

No, but it's a good time. Regardless of level, you'll improve your shooting skills and enjoy some camaraderie. I make most if not all of these and I'm 1 hour 40 minutes away.

There are many who simply come to shoot their military rifles and have fun. If you want to take the competition seriously and can win matches at Pembroke, such scores would be solid at Camp Perry Nationals- maybe top 20 or better in the 'Games' events.
always fun.... I rotate through all my milsurps and shoot all sorts of different ammo.
I particularly like shooting cast in the old war Irons as most of my surplus rifles have well worn bores.
Bringing out the Arisaka type 99s more this year. Along with my K98 with a brandinew barrel!

always fun.... I rotate through all my milsurps and shoot all sorts of different ammo.
I particularly like shooting cast in the old war Irons as most of my surplus rifles have well worn bores.
Bringing out the Arisaka type 99s more this year. Along with my K98 with a brandinew barrel!
I need to cast up some more Ranch Dogs and try them in the various bolt guns. Now I have to wonder what powders I have will be cast compatible...

I need to cast up some more Ranch Dogs and try them in the various bolt guns. Now I have to wonder what powders I have will be cast compatible...
H4895 and 2400
Trailboss is ok for practice but really does not deliver out to 200 for me.
Various other pistol powders work well also but really only good for short range .
Im on the look out for a inexpensive oven to start coating. I think the ranch dogs coated are going to do very well.
Im trying to get into the reloading mood. i have to load up everyrhing i want to use in cmp this year.
The arisaka , enfield , K98, M96 might all see cast loads this year.

H4895 and 2400
Trailboss is ok for practice but really does not deliver out to 200 for me.
Various other pistol powders work well also but really only good for short range .
Im on the look out for a inexpensive oven to start coating. I think the ranch dogs coated are going to do very well.
Im trying to get into the reloading mood. i have to load up everyrhing i want to use in cmp this year.
The arisaka , enfield , K98, M96 might all see cast loads this year.

I think I have both powders, at least the H4895. Just gotta fire up the furnace and drop bullets. I have a cheap toaster oven for coating.

Shot my best score so far at the winter offhand match today with my self built M1 National Match clone- 179-0X. Odd that I hit no X's but I'll take the score, especially with a Garand. Shooting these matches has definitely helped my offhand.

PlXd7f6.jpg

Op rod is original NM, I think rear sight too except for the hooded aperture, which you want new anyway so you can get a close fit. Built with all the usual NM mods / tricks. In case anyone hasn't seen this rifle:

OcsFP11.jpg

I think I have both powders, at least the H4895. Just gotta fire up the furnace and drop bullets. I have a cheap toaster oven for coating.

Shot my best score so far at the winter offhand match today with my self built M1 National Match clone- 179-0X. Odd that I hit no X's but I'll take the score, especially with a Garand. Shooting these matches has definitely helped my offhand.

PlXd7f6.jpg

Op rod is original NM, I think rear sight too except for the hooded aperture, which you want new anyway so you can get a close fit. Built with all the usual NM mods / tricks. In case anyone hasn't seen this rifle:

OcsFP11.jpg
Very good, im happy inside 8 ring, all last year I was plagued with some way off 5s and misses. Sucks when you still pull a high 60s low 70s with some eay off 5s and misses.

PlXd7f6.jpg

OcsFP11.jpg
Great shooting! Rifle looks great...

Great shooting! Rifle looks great...
Thanks! That stock cost me $50. It's a surplus Terni that was originally milled out as a BM59 stock but I guess Terni had too many and added back the missing tip to sell some for M1's. Works fine for me.

I saw Terni stocks on Numrich the other day while looking for something else.

This is the link and description

"In Original Terni, Italy Military Packaging Dated In The Mid-1980's. N.U.C. 1005-15-089-3964. Stock Is 1/2" Shorter Than A Standard U.S. G.I. Stock & Is Unmarked. Metal Hardware Is Not Included."

@Mountain is your stock shorter than a GI stock?

I saw Terni stocks on Numrich the other day while looking for something else.

This is the link and description

"In Original Terni, Italy Military Packaging Dated In The Mid-1980's. N.U.C. 1005-15-089-3964. Stock Is 1/2" Shorter Than A Standard U.S. G.I. Stock & Is Unmarked. Metal Hardware Is Not Included."

@Mountain is your stock shorter than a GI stock?
It was shorter, until they brought it back to standard dimensions via butt splicing a new tip. It's a pretty nice stock excepting the add-on, but I don't care about that. It's been a solid shooter and has always kept tight lock-up. If you look closely in the pic, you can see the mismatch.

The ones listed on Numrich didn't get 'corrected' to fit a M1 Garand. Guess that's standard BM59 configuration? IIRC I paid ~$56 for mine and figured it would be worth trying for the price.

It was shorter, until they brought it back to standard dimensions via butt splicing a new tip. It's a pretty nice stock excepting the add-on, but I don't care about that. It's been a solid shooter and has always kept tight lock-up. If you look closely in the pic, you can see the mismatch.

The ones listed on Numrich didn't get 'corrected' to fit a M1 Garand. Guess that's standard BM59 configuration? IIRC I paid ~$56 for mine and figured it would be worth trying for the price.
Interesting. My pea brain moved in the direction of the stock being shorter at the buttstock area - kind of like A1 vs A2 stocks.

Man im getting impatient !
Have not shot the M1a since Nov 2020
I have some nice creedmore that should be here by next sunday.
My oldest daughters softball schedule is not out yet....which can really put a dent in my shooting schedule 3 kids 3 different teams....whoohoo.
So if I have a full day sunday I might do 3 guns, M1 06 , M1 308 or AR and of course M1a.....heck thats why I built that thing.

Getting closer to Sunday! High 40's to mid 50's, mostly cloudy is the forecast.

Looking forward to it.
Perfect!
Im hoping that storm kicked down some of the "allergens , im a mess right now. Itchy eyes , sneezing like crazy. Im getting ready to go pull weeds!

Perfect!
Im hoping that storm kicked down some of the "allergens , im a mess right now. Itchy eyes , sneezing like crazy. Im getting ready to go pull weeds!
Been fighting allergies a bit too. Also my sinuses are a mess since wu flu over the holidays. Been practicing offhand, so I should have a much better chance of improvement there. It's a match and sh!t happens, so you never know...

Been fighting allergies a bit too. Also my sinuses are a mess since wu flu over the holidays. Been practicing offhand, so I should have a much better chance of improvement there. It's a match and sh!t happens, so you never know...
yup, eyes feel like sandpaper should be fun tomorrow. its only 11:30 am and im exhausted doing the work around the yard. Time to chill and get my gear to gether and hydrate!

Today was a nice day to shoot
Several new faces and thats what CMP is about. Few 1st timers posting respectful scores and groups and getting shots on paper @ 200 yards
M1 Garand scores ( I dont always remember the scores correctly)
Gold 276/300/5X
Silver 276/300/4X
Bronze 271/300

Modern Military
Gold 289/300/5X
Silver 287/300/5X
Bronze 277/300

there was a lot of wood and steel and this was just one rack

View: https://imgur.com/a/LeBpHNI

Great day and good to be back into the CMP match groove. Agreed that the highlight was seeing all the new faces for the clinic. Was thinking on the drive over what might be the future for these matches given all the draw for IDPA, 3-gun, Walls of Steel, etc. Seems like over the last couple seasons the popularity is actually on the rise.

Overall great turnout and the scores were on average quite high. Some of that attributed to all the 'stoke' for the upcoming Camp Butner (NC) CMP games.

@Gasgunner 's HK projects are pretty much like this to me, with my wallet in the middle:

fixitology_socialmedia_pinto.jpg

I wish cmp would source the trinkets state side? Can there really be no one in the states that could do this at a reasonable cost?
View attachment 473855
Yeah, that's pretty irritating. China of course doesn't allow its subject to have or handle firearms. Some of the old school guys I know would love to get a small taste of freedom by visiting a gun store or range. The latest generation shudders at the mention of it- literally that's how one of my colleagues reacted. Probably taboo for their social credit score / Big Brother is watching program.

CMP should really find a more appropriate source.

NATIONAL RECORD: Brad Diehl, 294-09X, 2018
This is the top score so far for M1 as issued
Top scores range in the 280s-low 290s
CMP M1 as issued have been running since 1998?
Heres the last 12 or so years
EED8050E-C413-4F35-98AD-84B9675D671D.png

I saw the flyer in this thread, so I contacted the organizer and a friend and I made the trip to Pembroke. I'd never been to that club, didn't know anyone there, had never shot an M1 before, and never shot out to 200 yards. The guys at the match were very friendly and helped us get set up with the sling, scoring, and the function of the weapon. We had a great time and can't say enough about how helpful and cool these guys were. I highly recommend the future matches to anyone who wants to try shooting an M1. All you need is eyes and ears and money for ammo. They have everything else. My friend and I are already talking about making it to another match. Extra shout out to Rich, Franco and the man in the USCG hat (whose name escapes me right now).

I saw the flyer in this thread, so I contacted the organizer and a friend and I made the trip to Pembroke. I'd never been to that club, didn't know anyone there, had never shot an M1 before, and never shot out to 200 yards. The guys at the match were very friendly and helped us get set up with the sling, scoring, and the function of the weapon. We had a great time and can't say enough about how helpful and cool these guys were. I highly recommend the future matches to anyone who wants to try shooting an M1. All you need is eyes and ears and money for ammo. They have everything else. My friend and I are already talking about making it to another match. Extra shout out to Rich, Franco and the man in the USCG hat (whose name escapes me right now).
WARNING : Please call the program director to check on ammo availability.
As with everyone supplies are running low.

Glad you had fun and put shots on target.
There was some very good 1st timer scores. Hope to see everyone again soon

Next Match is 5/16
M1 Garand and also Springfield 1903 and 1903a3 Match

Back
Top Bottom