• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2021 Fishing thread

I have never in my life caught a fish on a plastic worm. I have been trying to end that streak this summer with no luck. I don't think anyone has, they just say they do so I keep buying worms and not catching anything.

Oh and I went out today and caught bluegills like they didn't want to be in the water anymore. I also got 1 perch and 1 Bass that was only 3/4 of a pound, but it was in the weeds and I had my ultralight.

vvSd8v4.jpeg

4kCIkHt.jpeg

p6NPmoZ.jpeg

Really???

I was that way as a youngster. I picked worm colors based on what I wanted. Never thought hte fish needed to care. I had a good black/silver combo ribbon tail worm. And an electric blue flake. Both seemed good. Never caught a damned thing. (Some of that was likely that I was fishing in barren places.)

Today? I'll take a worm over everything if forced to pick one bait.

I started ned rigging a couple of weeks ago - just to goof off. Caught fish on translucent pink and pink bubblegum so far. (Was testing the odd colors, too)

A stick worm or a Good craw (Personal preference: Rage craw) with minimal (or no) weight on a EWG hook in green pumpkin or watermelon will catch fish just about anywhere in the N/E.

The other thing I wanna try and "master" is big-honkin-worms. Those 10-14" things. I think that would be a trip. I tried a few years ago, but I lost patience. I need to just go out to the deep grass and give it a whirl. At least the perch may not bother with it. LOL

Really???

I was that way as a youngster. I picked worm colors based on what I wanted. Never thought hte fish needed to care. I had a good black/silver combo ribbon tail worm. And an electric blue flake. Both seemed good. Never caught a damned thing. (Some of that was likely that I was fishing in barren places.)

Today? I'll take a worm over everything if forced to pick one bait.

I started ned rigging a couple of weeks ago - just to goof off. Caught fish on translucent pink and pink bubblegum so far. (Was testing the odd colors, too)

A stick worm or a Good craw (Personal preference: Rage craw) with minimal (or no) weight on a EWG hook in green pumpkin or watermelon will catch fish just about anywhere in the N/E.

The other thing I wanna try and "master" is big-honkin-worms. Those 10-14" things. I think that would be a trip. I tried a few years ago, but I lost patience. I need to just go out to the deep grass and give it a whirl. At least the perch may not bother with it. LOL
What is ned rigging? I've caught some decent bass on wacky rigged senkos.

Ned rig???

5ea6f5532a2a6.image.jpg

Light head. Small stick worm (or other plastic) 3-4" in length. Something fairly flexible. Work it how you want in the bottom of the water column.

Best thing is a good outlet for torn up Senko's. Get a few fish hammering your Senkos and the top end is toast. Just save em and clip em down to the tail end.

Only do ned rigging on light-ish line and a spinning rod. Set the drag somewhat light as well so you don't pull the hook straight. (They are very fine wire hooks.)

Ned rig???

5ea6f5532a2a6.image.jpg

Light head. Small stick worm (or other plastic) 3-4" in length. Something fairly flexible. Work it how you want in the bottom of the water column.

Best thing is a good outlet for torn up Senko's. Get a few fish hammering your Senkos and the top end is toast. Just save em and clip em down to the tail end.

Only do ned rigging on light-ish line and a spinning rod. Set the drag somewhat light as well so you don't pull the hook straight. (They are very fine wire hooks.)
Great idea for extending the life of a Senko, thanks!!!

It has been a dream to hike into a mountain creek and fly fish. Well today was that day. We grabbed our packs, bear spray and flyrods and headed into a creek in Montana. It was only a few miles but it qualified. We had no idea if it would hold fish but we wanted to do some exploring. Imagine my joy when a hungry yellowstone cuttie slammed my hairs ear. I landed two more, and pricked a couple more. My daughter got a beauty, probably thirteen inches in length and fat. Now I am yearning for 3wt!

20210730_105552.jpg

Ned rig???

5ea6f5532a2a6.image.jpg

OK, what is the retrieve on something like that in the fresh water ?
Is it anything like jigging for striper on sand banks ?

However you want. It seems to be a bottom of the water column bait. Hop it. Drag it. Swim it. But when it lands, it’s always tail-up.

Thanks. It's not all wine-and-roses, LOL. For the last 11 years, 14' Jon boat. Now I've got this monstrosity. I told my wife this am - after having stress dreams about hte damned thing last night (which will stop once I get the 10 hrs on the motor - I'm 2.5 or so deep already) that it's like living in a crowded, narrow city all your life and riding a BMX bike around and then swapping out for a full-size SUV.

All them tight moves I used to do are all gone. LOL

Did some exploration on the Boulder River today. I gotta say, the place does not suck. Even found four access points on the lower section which is mostly private land. I have heard that the browns can get up to 24 inches in those parts. I will back once the cooler weather comes and the fish put on the feed bag. Fortunately, only a half hour from the house :)

Boulder river shrunk.jpg

FINALLY got on some Larry's over teh weekend. I haven't fished this part of the lake in a while b/c it's usually too low. We fished for about 2.5 hours and bagged 8. Missed another 4. First bass on the pontoon. Another 6 hours and the motor will be finally broken in. Although at 4 hours and have barely used 1.5 gallons. So that's nice. Seems pretty efficient.

Not sure why NES wants this pic sideways. LOL tempImage5vYaP2.png

Makes your thing look bigger though. A buddy of mine YEARS ago always wanted to date an Asian girl. "Why?" "Small hands." [rofl]

Oooh. You just need a decent spinning combo. I'm partial to the BPS Carbonlite. (Although I hate the baitkeepers on the white version of them. Keeps the bait BELOW the reel. Grrrr.)

Reel??? Shimano is my pick. Sedona is a good reel. Stratic is the bomb. I scored 2 of these (probably stolen) off of Ebay a few years ago.

They have a pile of soft plastics there this week. I was there killing time on Tuesday. I got some Z-man ned baits with the wigglies at teh end and a pack of Z-man tube baits. Gonna see if they are better acting than my normal KVD tubes. Should be about that time at the lake for the sallies to start congregating in a few key spots.

I didn't look to see what their selection was for rods at all. LAST time I was there a month ago it was a ghost town in the rod department.

Oooh. You just need a decent spinning combo. I'm partial to the BPS Carbonlite. (Although I hate the baitkeepers on the white version of them. Keeps the bait BELOW the reel. Grrrr.)

Reel??? Shimano is my pick. Sedona is a good reel. Stratic is the bomb. I scored 2 of these (probably stolen) off of Ebay a few years ago.

They have a pile of soft plastics there this week. I was there killing time on Tuesday. I got some Z-man ned baits with the wigglies at teh end and a pack of Z-man tube baits. Gonna see if they are better acting than my normal KVD tubes. Should be about that time at the lake for the sallies to start congregating in a few key spots.

I didn't look to see what their selection was for rods at all. LAST time I was there a month ago it was a ghost town in the rod department.
Most of my stuff is baitcasting or larger spinning. Thinking a 6.5 to 7’ medium light rod. Spinning Reel that will handle 6 or 8lb line. I like Penns too.

I decided that this would be a good morning to test out my brand new Douglas DXF 4 wt rod. Well it did not disappoint. The nine inch cutties were so much fun. But then I hooked up to this bruiser, a beautiful rainbow. What this was doing in a ten foot wide stretch of water is beyond me. But man I'm so glad he was there. Wow, what a battle on a 4wt. Half dozen spectacular jumps and he even started to take line off the reel. What a rush.

rainbow.jpg

I decided that this would be a good morning to test out my brand new Douglas DXF 4 wt rod. Well it did not disappoint. The nine inch cutties were so much fun. But then I hooked up to this bruiser, a beautiful rainbow. What this was doing in a ten foot wide stretch of water is beyond me. But man I'm so glad he was there. Wow, what a battle on a 4wt. Half dozen spectacular jumps and he even started to take line off the reel. What a rush.

View attachment 514269
That’s what it’s all about right there!

How did you make out?????
Got a St Croix Medium Light 6' 10" rod. And a Johnny Morris Spinning Reel made by Daiwa. I always liked Penn and Shimano but pickins were mighty slim. Very few rods in the size I wanted. I could have waited or ordered but wanted to get out on the water. Actually found a sales guy who knew his stuff. Some Z Man Finesse Shroomz Jig Heads in a few sizes and Finesse TRD in Green Pumpkin, Canada Craw and California Craw.

Back
Top Bottom