• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2022 Cast Bullet Seminar Sign Up Thread

If you buy the block then make up molds from pvc pipe and wood to make your own sticks.
This is also a good way to do it but the cost of the moulds and the time spent eat up that savings.
Again it’s all what you want to do in this game. If you prefer to have the tools and the knowledge then take the long road and learn about it and maybe make some of your own. I went the other way and buy in bulk so if the world ends it’s one less thing I need to learn how to do.

I made lube once. That was a mess and it didn’t smell as good as the white label stuff so I said forget it.

This is also a good way to do it but the cost of the moulds and the time spent eat up that savings.
Again it’s all what you want to do in this game. If you prefer to have the tools and the knowledge then take the long road and learn about it and maybe make some of your own. I went the other way and buy in bulk so if the world ends it’s one less thing I need to learn how to do.

I made lube once. That was a mess and it didn’t smell as good as the white label stuff so I said forget it.
My attempt at homemade lube worked great in that it left my barrel perfectly clean with a simple wipe down - the fact it smoked like black powder made it pretty much a fail though.

You can buy the block but then you need to gently melt it and pour it into the machine. It can be done but it’s a damn mess and if you burn the lube it’s smelly and useless.

A solid stick will lube around 1000 pistol bullets depending on caliber and lube groove quantity/size. So it really is worth the money to just grab a few sticks.

I buy the sticks for ease of use.
Sticks it is.

You can buy the block but then you need to gently melt it and pour it into the machine. It can be done but it’s a damn mess and if you burn the lube it’s smelly and useless.

A solid stick will lube around 1000 pistol bullets depending on caliber and lube groove quantity/size. So it really is worth the money to just grab a few sticks.

I buy the sticks for ease of use.
As much as I am a cheap ass I attempted this and said “f*** this”
Bought the hollow sticks for my lubesizer

Kidding of course. Great class and anyone on the fence should just go for it. I attended last year and walked away with a bunch of info. I’ve even managed to cast some super accurate bullets. My 1911 loves my 200gr SWC and I grabbed a 30.06 Ruger American to push cast through… I have the .06 hitting a dime at a 100 which for me is great. Great class and a great group of people.

This is well worth your time and money to attend. It will open up new exciting worlds of shooting and savings. If you squint your eyes and shake your head while looking at your transaction records, you will notice the savings (for someone like myself with poor spending control). If you're like me and only soak up a certain amount of knowledge in one sitting, you will want to keep Attending. You will learn more valuable lessons attending again if you already have.

Powder coating
A little shotgun fun

And a few pot covers for door prizes
If I have time I'll make a probe holders to go with them

Attachments

• IMG_20220424_122947839.jpg
    IMG_20220424_122947839.jpg
    597.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20220327_163652104.jpg
    IMG_20220327_163652104.jpg
    372.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20220327_163644252.jpg
    IMG_20220327_163644252.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Will pot covers be available for purchase?
I've got four - since I've already posted them as door prizes I'll offer one to you for free.
If there's interest I'll order a bunch since I need to order some blanks for 3d printed glock rails. I don't own any glocks so getting things right is difficult

Not a big deal if not. Plenty of other molds will be available.
Artie I found it.
Now I just need to meet up with one of you all to get my donation and your mold to you.
Today seems like a good day to drop some balls! I will cast up what I need.
I have assorted alloy that can go to either door prizes/ new casters

Im hoping I can at least make it at some point in the day but softball play offs are a mess schedule wise.

For those looking for alloy I am bringing un-smelted COWW and SOWW to be smelted at the seminar and can bring a bunch already smelted COWW and SOWW into roughly 1 pound ingots for very cheap. I gotta pay for the propane somehow. I can also bring about 20 pounds of pewter ingots and a bunch of 5 pound tin/lead solder bars and these will be for sale. I'll also have a box of miscellaneous stuff like videos, knives, RCBS die sets, RCBS powder dispenser and other RCBS parts with suggested pricing. This stuff is mostly from house cleanouts and stuff I do not need or will not use. I'll even bring cardboard boxes for you to pack your stuff into for the ride home.

For those looking for alloy I am bringing un-smelted COWW and SOWW to be smelted at the seminar and can bring a bunch already smelted COWW and SOWW into roughly 1 pound ingots for very cheap. I gotta pay for the propane somehow. I can also bring about 20 pounds of pewter ingots and a bunch of 5 pound tin/lead solder bars and these will be for sale. I'll also have a box of miscellaneous stuff like videos, knives, RCBS die sets, RCBS powder dispenser and other RCBS parts with suggested pricing. This stuff is mostly from house cleanouts and stuff I do not need or will not use. I'll even bring cardboard boxes for you to pack your stuff into for the ride home.
When is this? I might have to make the trip just for that.

I worked on the Star Luber/Sizer today to make sure I remotely understood how it worked before the seminar. There was still a projectile in the die, so I removed that first. That answers my question about whether it had ever been used ;) I then proceeded to remove all of the old lube (about a full stick) by slightly heating the base with a heat gun. The follower for the wax was a real pain, as it would not come back up. Luckily, Magma still maintains some troubleshooting tips for these things and I was able to pull it up. I also have the old manual which has a very good parts explosion diagram. There was a vacuum that had formed that just required me to pull it quite a bit. (The follower assembly would suck back down when I released it). Once I removed the "inspection port" at the base I was able to release the vacuum and clean off the wax cylinder and follower.

I will now orient the die correctly and put new wax (WLL delivered the other day) in and get it set up to use by pushing as much of the old wax out with the new wax as possible. I should have that all done today so I can be ready for next Sunday.

I worked on the Star Luber/Sizer today to make sure I remotely understood how it worked before the seminar. There was still a projectile in the die, so I removed that first. That answers my question about whether it had ever been used ;) I then proceeded to remove all of the old lube (about a full stick) by slightly heating the base with a heat gun. The follower for the wax was a real pain, as it would not come back up. Luckily, Magma still maintains some troubleshooting tips for these things and I was able to pull it up. I also have the old manual which has a very good parts explosion diagram. There was a vacuum that had formed that just required me to pull it quite a bit. (The follower assembly would suck back down when I released it). Once I removed the "inspection port" at the base I was able to release the vacuum and clean off the wax cylinder and follower.

I will now orient the die correctly and put new wax (WLL delivered the other day) in and get it set up to use by pushing as much of the old wax out with the new wax as possible. I should have that all done today so I can be ready for next Sunday.
🥹🥹 reminds me of my first star sizer. It seems like just yesterday.

It wont melt the lube out but if you want a cheap heater hack. You can find these things at yardsales and thrift stores for $2 or so

View: https://youtu.be/K8Iy26hnuuE

Back
Top Bottom