• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2022 Fishing Thread

In God We Trust

NES Member
I searched and didn’t find one for this year yet. If I missed it, sorry, mods please delete.

Went out for the first time this year today. I only stayed for an hour and a half because the sun was right in my face and it was brutal out.

First cast of the season and I caught this little guy.

97751102-675B-44AA-85DF-752AF2B60122.jpeg

First time in my life catching something on the first cast of the season. Unfortunately, he snitched me out and I didn’t get another bite today. Forgot to make him sign the NDA before letting him go.

I went out to South Cape Beach in Mashpee fishing from 5:30 - 7PM looking for bass and blues. Beautiful night with a light SW breeze. No hits no runs no errors.

Did seee several fish blast out of the water chasing bait fish. They were in casting distance and looked like blues. There was probably 8 others out there but didn’t see anyone catch anything.

No lost gear or injuries and all in all a good time.

I went out to South Cape Beach in Mashpee fishing from 5:30 - 7PM looking for bass and blues. Beautiful night with a light SW breeze. No hits no runs no errors.

Did seee several fish blast out of the water chasing bait fish. They were in casting distance and looked like blues. There was probably 8 others out there but didn’t see anyone catch anything.

No lost gear or injuries and all in all a good time.

Blues for sure. Great fun to catch with a silver spoon and wire leader.

They are also good to eat fresh if you fillet off the dark meat next to the skin and put a thin layer of Mayo on top. I use Helmans.

Bob

Blues for sure. Great fun to catch with a silver spoon and wire leader.

They are also good to eat fresh if you fillet off the dark meat next to the skin and put a thin layer of Mayo on top. I use Helmans.

Bob
That is pretty how my Mom would cook a blue that I would filet right when it came out of the water.
I used kast masters, crippled herrings, deadly dicks, and probably 10 different popping plugs. I usually change the lure every 12 casts or so if nothing hits.

Son in Law caught the FATTEST 33" Striper I've seen in a while IMG_2592-preview.JPG yesterday on the Westport River. It was Dock Day at the lane and after, he and this old guy go fishing in the dude's boat. All caught a keeper this time, his being biggest. He didn't weight it. It was HUGE!

He had a nice dinner last night. And probably tomorrow night. And Tuesday. And Wednesday. And likely Thursday.

Nice.

Bagged 4 in total over the weekend. Well, 4 bass.

Had a hard time locating them. In 2 weeks we went from spawning to post-spawn. First place I tried was just too windy, so you couldn't hold the boat and fish.

Moved onto another area but it was a haul. We started in one spot - nothing really. Moved down the shore a bit and in 30 min (of a 2.5hr trip) caught 4 fish total. d'OH!

Next AM, started there - now too windy THERE. Just couldn't hold the boat to work the grass line. Moved onto another area that was leeward. I caught another 2 fish in short order. I think we had 4 total that day as well.

You can tell it's post-spawn when the heron are blanketing the lake. They are all shallow looking for fish. It's amazing. One day last summer, I think I counted 14 heron on the lake. 14!

Getting the surf gear ready for this weekend, one of my Stradic reels feels a bit like a coffee grinder. I've replaced the clutch but this reel now has 10 years on it. I've been partial to Shimano spinners, but not too long ago picked up a Daiwa Saltist 5000 for fishing off the rocks. And it's a much nicer reel than my earlier Daiwa reels. So... I picked up a Saltist MQ 4000 and 6000. Hoping to get on the board soon!

The striper fishing from the beach has been slow. Nothing but a handful of schoolies and a few feisty shad landed so far. Beach is packed with people, mung has been thick... Summer.

I've never "loaded" a plug before, but the steady onshore winds have motivated me to give it a try. I watched a YT video for tips, and had to utilize tools I had on hand.

The CC Redfin was easily penetrated with a small screwdriver, using a drilling action. I had to guess how much ballast to use, and managed to add water by shaking the lure's new orifice beneath running tap water. After dabbing the orifice to remove moisture, two passes of Loon Outdoors UV goop were used to seal it. Test results to follow.

20220629_130539.jpg

20220629_130551.jpg

Surfcasting newbie.
I hope to get out this weekend, South Cape Beach area.
Best times to go? I was thinking around 6am and then 6pm?
I plan on throwing out some chunk bait depending what I can find at the local shop.
Been working on some knots and rigs. Need to pick up some more tackle ASAP.
Tips and suggestions appreciated....

Surfcasting newbie.
I plan on throwing out some chunk bait depending what I can find at the local shop.
Dawn and dusk is generally the time too go. The water is getting warmer so chunking is a good idea. Sometimes the heavy Mung weeds can be hit of miss which can make fishing difficult.
you can also check the On The Water magazine fishing report, it gets published late Thursday afternoon.

Surfcasting newbie.
Check the tides, don't aim for hours on the clock, before & after sunrise or sunset can be productive. If you're throwing bait, a fish finder rig is a good setup.
The Palomar Knot is quick & easy to tie and strong.
1656638021879.png

Surfcasting newbie.
I don't often soak bait, but when I do...

I use a fishfinder rig with a 3oz pyramid sinker and a size 5/0 circle hook. I snell the hook with 50lb Berkley Big Game mono. Mainline is 50lb Power Pro. When using braid, I always use a Polamar knot to tie into the terminal tackle. And I usually don't "spike" the rod. If I do, I use a bait runner reel (Shimano 8000D).

My preference for bait is fresh mackerel, frozen clams, or frozen macks, in that order. When baiting mackerel chunks, I pass the hook through the spine area, leaving plenty of hook exposed.

Times of low light are the most productive. And heavy surf is bonus. Look for troughs to place bait. I've caught 35" fish on clam, in a foot of water, not far from where I was standing. But typically, when fishing surf during the day, I like to get the bait out to the first set of breakers.

I've been out a bit.
Not on any good days yet.
Mainly just to bring the dog out so she can cool off and swim.

Hit a few hold over rainbows so far.

Attachments

• 20220629_154737.jpg
    20220629_154737.jpg
    947.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 20220603_164902.jpg
    20220603_164902.jpg
    561.9 KB · Views: 15
I thought you couldn't fish within 300 yards of the landing light pier. Prior to 911, I used to tie off there and drift chunks. Lots of large hanging in the pilings

I thought you couldn't fish within 300 yards of the landing light pier. Prior to 911, I used to tie off there and drift chunks. Lots of large hanging in the pilings
Stay outside the white security buoys and you’re fine.

If airport security sees you inside those a state police boat will be sent out and they’ll move you back.

Went across the pond this am. Hit this one cove. Dozens of used bluegill beds. Ran the reeds on the far shore across from this cove (which is on a small island) and found dozens and dozens more. Now I know where to spend my time post-spawn next Spring. Damn. I’d never seen that before over there. Not sure if we had an explosion of bluegill or what.

Landed 4 bass. Tried out the Berkely Gilly lure. Worked well but too easy to lose them and they are $2 each or something.

Went out by myself yesterday AM after everyone left to be in the parade. Caught 2 sallies in the pads off of the rock point. One on a jig, but he hit it as soon as it hit the water. The other on a Strike King Hybrid Hunter. It's an L-shaped lipped crank bait. Came thru the pads with no hangups at all. I was shocked. And every few casts, it came back with a dozen or more small perch followers. Any sort of pause or speed-up or twitch has it hunting left and right erratically. I think I'll leave it on instead of a chatter bait the rest of the season as my search bait. Just to see how it goes.

I searched and didn’t find one for this year yet. If I missed it, sorry, mods please delete.

Went out for the first time this year today. I only stayed for an hour and a half because the sun was right in my face and it was brutal out.

First cast of the season and I caught this little guy.

View attachment 618499

First time in my life catching something on the first cast of the season. Unfortunately, he snitched me out and I didn’t get another bite today. Forgot to make him sign the NDA before letting him go.
I take my granddaughters out to Webster Lake and they love catching those !!

Finally had a good weekend. Nailed a 5# Larry yesterday morning. Then me and my son in law went out this am and caught 17. 5 white bass. One pick. Rest were decent sallies. Oh wait. The last one I caught (#7) was a dink. Lol

Fun weekend. We struggled a ton this year. I’d love to know where the Larry’s are. I think they are just spread out.

Went out to a swimming hole with my son yesterday and brought my rod. Took a few casts from about 20' downstream of the normal bank access point. Caught 6 nice rainbows in about an hour - all lightly hooked and released. One monster hit my Thomas Bouyant like a train, but I wasn't able to hook it.

Lost my hat in the wind when it blew off the bank unnoticed while we swam.

Wow what an insane afternoon of striped bass fishing. Probably the best bass fishing ever. All monster bass as far as you could see. Biggest one I caught was 43 inches and well over 30 pounds. My dad got a couple 49 inchers earlier in the day on his charter. I’ve never seen such fat stripers - bellies were about to pop 😂
2BE33BAB-6FBD-42AE-9C7B-B648AF80E9CD.jpeg 440C65DE-55EC-4CB8-B65A-9815F9061B22.jpeg 4BA22264-4B91-4BD8-9D92-9D65D2BC5D91.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom