• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2022 Fishing Thread

My son Ben caught his first fish on a fly rod today.. then about 2 minutes later caught his second. LOL.

On a side note... I added metal studs to my new wading boots and what a difference. I've been a felt guy for years but needed a new pair this year and decided to try rubber. The shop I bought the boots from was out of studs so I had to order them. Been using the boots without studs for the past week and miserable. Really slipper and uneasy. My studs came in yesterday and I got to try them out today... Huge Difference. I do kind of miss felt though.
295174925_5315020718577337_8237137945379935426_n.jpg

295263605_5315020628577346_7384248500033700467_n.jpg

295340926_5315020651910677_3931424187639220379_n.jpg

Sold the 14' fishing boat. Picked up a couple of Hobie pedal kayaks (Compass and Lynx). First time out, it didn't take much time to get used to them. Compared to our 10' Old Town sit-in yaks, these things are like a sport cruiser. And I had no problem casting the fly rod while standing in either one, which was an initial concern. I'm looking into adding a side-imaging sonar but first have to decide which boat to outfit, pending approval from the CFO.

My son Ben caught his first fish on a fly rod today.. then about 2 minutes later caught his second. LOL.

On a side note... I added metal studs to my new wading boots and what a difference. I've been a felt guy for years but needed a new pair this year and decided to try rubber. The shop I bought the boots from was out of studs so I had to order them. Been using the boots without studs for the past week and miserable. Really slipper and uneasy. My studs came in yesterday and I got to try them out today... Huge Difference. I do kind of miss felt though.
View attachment 641210

View attachment 641211

View attachment 641212
What river? Also what flies? Nice job Ben! Smallies are a blast.

Gave the river a break today and hit a small stream near the house with a 3WT. Was after some small browns or brookie's but they were really skittish. Have to work on my tactics. Found some sunfish in a few spots and those were enough entertainment to keep me happy.

295680054_5320535241359218_4682395225680036490_n.jpg

295669115_5320535224692553_404502852016600548_n.jpg

295684416_5320535118025897_6680956905246335118_n.jpg

295519502_5320535161359226_3667725415957666413_n (1).jpg

Gave the river a break today and hit a small stream near the house with a 3WT. Was after some small browns or brookie's but they were really skittish. Have to work on my tactics. Found some sunfish in a few spots and those were enough entertainment to keep me happy.

View attachment 642086

View attachment 642088

View attachment 642087

View attachment 642085
Years ago I bought a custom 5wt made from IM6 blanks. This is the guy who made it Home, Sierra Classic and he's still going strong. He made a 6'9" 3wt for me with a quick turn-around so I could fish over the 4th. Low clear water and a bit warm, so the trout fishing was tough. No matter- we have many large ponds with some monster bluegill to catch. The 3wt makes it much more fun and it has enough juice to throw small poppers and hoppers. May have to borrow some nail polish from my wife to touch up my favorite popper bug- big bluegill chewed the hell out of it and the paint is almost gone.

Years ago I bought a custom 5wt made from IM6 blanks. This is the guy who made it Home, Sierra Classic and he's still going strong. He made a 6'9" 3wt for me with a quick turn-around so I could fish over the 4th. Low clear water and a bit warm, so the trout fishing was tough. No matter- we have many large ponds with some monster bluegill to catch. The 3wt makes it much more fun and it has enough juice to throw small poppers and hoppers. May have to borrow some nail polish from my wife to touch up my favorite popper bug- big bluegill chewed the hell out of it and the paint is almost gone.

Good to know.. I'll have to check them out.

My 3wt is a cheapo 5'6" rod made by Wild Water. I bought it like 14 years ago at a hunting fishing show.
It really doesn't cast that great and I want something closer to 6'6" or 7'.

I did order some better line for it last night to see if it'll help cast any better.
I figure worst case it doesn't help all that much... I buy myself something nicer and my son can use this one for stream fishing. Win Win

I forgot how addictive fly fishing can be.

tried out a new spot. Also got to watch a baked eagle for a while. iPhone doesn’t do it Justice.

illeagledrugs.jpg

Good to know.. I'll have to check them out.

My 3wt is a cheapo 5'6" rod made by Wild Water. I bought it like 14 years ago at a hunting fishing show.
It really doesn't cast that great and I want something closer to 6'6" or 7'.

I did order some better line for it last night to see if it'll help cast any better.
I figure worst case it doesn't help all that much... I buy myself something nicer and my son can use this one for stream fishing. Win Win

I forgot how addictive fly fishing can be.
Pretty short for a fly rod, maybe shortest I have heard of. Better line might help but if the casting action is sluggish that's the rod.

Temple Fork Outfitters was always a nice go-to for good performance at a great price but their prices are higher now and the Sierra Classic rods are better, hand made, and priced similar or lower. Bob usually has several in stock but can build a special order in a couple weeks.

Pretty short for a fly rod, maybe shortest I have heard of. Better line might help but if the casting action is sluggish that's the rod.

Temple Fork Outfitters was always a nice go-to for good performance at a great price but their prices are higher now and the Sierra Classic rods are better, hand made, and priced similar or lower. Bob usually has several in stock but can build a special order in a couple weeks.

Good Info thanks... really enjoying this stream fishing with a fly rod. Not to mention it's within walking distance of my house.
I'm sure a nice 7' 3wt will be on order from somewhere soon.
Hoping to find something used in FB marketplace for a little cheaper than new.

Today I went south instead of north and found deeper water and the trout I was looking for. Lots more water to explore.
It got pretty deep..... deep enough to make me nervous wearing waist high waders.

295836300_5322729724473103_7216828568345467473_n.jpg

295938549_5322729704473105_4142133196487054462_n.jpg

Today the boy and I went upstream instead of down. High water from todays rains but the browns were smashing Thomas Bouyants. We each got two in less than an hour.

I caught one while my son was swimming literally ten feet away. Trout aren’t nearly as spookish as I’ve been told. I think my Dad just wanted me to shut up.

Today the boy and I went upstream instead of down. High water from todays rains but the browns were smashing Thomas Bouyants. We each got two in less than an hour.

I caught one while my son was swimming literally ten feet away. Trout aren’t nearly as spookish as I’ve been told. I think my Dad just wanted me to shut up.
LOL both could be an option. As a kid with a scuba mask, I can remember swimming around and basically being ignored by trout.

Went out Tuesday night and caught our limit of 15 fish. Also confident to say I caught the heaviest/fattest striper ever (I’m 6ft for reference). Not the longest (very close tho) but the heaviest. About 46" and belly ready to pop. At least 40 pounds. Had the drag locked up tight and he was still taking line.
View attachment 640059View attachment 640060View attachment 640061View attachment 640062
Then went out after midnight and caught another 9 jumbos. Smallest was a 35” and the rest were 42-45" and 30-35 pounds. Just insanity. Boats everywhere fish everywhere.
The fish buyer was loaded up. Tons of fish to sell.
View attachment 640063View attachment 640064
Now home at 5am I need some sleep. Lot of work cranking these monsters in.
I fish the same waters as you and now I know why I can’t catch those monsters…..cuz u caught them all!!!😂😂😂 Good Stuff!

Ya, at night is the ticket. I’ve spent many a morning and afternoon fishing only to pull into my slip, drink a few beers and play the catch and release game on 24-30 in bass! 😂😂
I'm going out again tonight. My buddy went out last night and said it was the most amount of stripers he's ever seen. He had 3 fish on at once and ended up losing many because he was by himself. Really needs my assistance LOL. He's yet to compensate me for all of the fish he's selling that I caught...It was just fun to reel them in but at some point if you really need my help maybe toss me a hundred bucks or something.

I'm not trying to be too greedy as he's a few years younger than me and still lives at home and is trying to save up money. But still...

I'm going out again tonight. My buddy went out last night and said it was the most amount of stripers he's ever seen. He had 3 fish on at once and ended up losing many because he was by himself. Really needs my assistance LOL. He's yet to compensate me for all of the fish he's selling that I caught...It was just fun to reel them in but at some point if you really need my help maybe toss me a hundred bucks or something.

I'm not trying to be too greedy as he's a few years younger than me and still lives at home and is trying to save up money. But still...
Ya, it’s been insane this year

Almost like shooting fish in a barrel 😂
Just got home a little while ago. Side scan sonar + live eels = 🎣
My buddy already caught 5 early this morning so we only needed 10 more. Only took a few hours. Had 5 that were 44-46" and when we got to land they weighed about 35 pounds. Put up a good fight.
The rest were “small” 36"-40" fish lol.
Boats everywhere even had some surfers close to us just before sunset 😂

I reeled in 7 of the 10 and my arm is sore lmao. Had some killer strain on these fish with the drag locked down.

They’re getting over $4 per pound for these 😮
AD6A7C50-5080-43A3-B5CE-52039BC0DF9B.jpeg 3417B1CF-63BE-4A7A-8A70-EAA3DC3BB218.jpeg 52024662-ABBB-4CE2-95BA-9B92024F8340.jpeg 4E83C10A-1163-48BD-8ABE-4A23D9D9FC42.jpeg 611344D3-0858-4187-9B99-8F40F4712A61.jpeg 8FD12A3E-27E3-4B61-B15C-2425F641035C.jpeg

Almost like shooting fish in a barrel 😂
Just got home a little while ago. Side scan sonar + live eels = 🎣
My buddy already caught 5 early this morning so we only needed 10 more. Only took a few hours. Had 5 that were 44-46" and when we got to land they weighed about 35 pounds. Put up a good fight.
The rest were “small” 36"-40" fish lol.
Boats everywhere even had some surfers close to us just before sunset 😂

I reeled in 7 of the 10 and my arm is sore lmao. Had some killer strain on these fish with the drag locked down.

They’re getting over $4 per pound for these 😮
View attachment 642878View attachment 642879View attachment 642880View attachment 642881View attachment 642882View attachment 642883
Rich Chinese and Japanese buying them up? This weekend I wanted to enjoy the spoils of the Gloucester bounty at our local sushi joint with striped bass on the menu. They had none- fvck, where the hell does it go?

When do they start migrating back south?

Rich Chinese and Japanese buying them up? This weekend I wanted to enjoy the spoils of the Gloucester bounty at our local sushi joint with striped bass on the menu. They had none- fvck, where the hell does it go?

When do they start migrating back south?
Yeah I need to find out where they’re going.
Last weekend I saw bass on the menu at a new restaurant in town - Decklyns. Only place I’ve seen it on the menu. Not cheap either. B39D5916-3D27-4279-9F5A-616BFB4FCC28.jpeg

Yeah I need to find out where they’re going.
Last weekend I saw bass on the menu at a new restaurant in town - Decklyns. Only place I’ve seen it on the menu. Not cheap either. View attachment 642968
LOL any primers to sell? Mrs. Mountain doesn't like seafood but I bet she'd go for that Watermelon Crush. [smile] But damn, that striper meal price... Does it come with a box of SRP's?

Looks like I need to take some time off and get some saltwater fishing in.

I'm going to try using a push pole with the kayak. This one was $75 from Bezos. It should be arriving today.

Damn. Busy week. I didn't even post.

Hit the lake last Sunday AM. Calm as hell. Nice temps. Went out around 5:30 which is now a smidge BEFORE sunrise.

Missed 4 in 30 min on a Plopper and crank bait. Then realized I was in the Sallies. They couldn't get their mouths around the treble hooks. (They were all small - 1-2.5#)

Swapped to a Bico jig in orange/green pumpkin with a Rage Craw matching trailer. In the next 45 min or so, I boated 5 Sallies. Again, not big, but aggressive. . . after the bite.

Every single one barely took the bait. It was so subtle. But once they knew it was on it was like telling your wife during lovemaking that her sister is better at it. Grab hold and HANG ON! LOL

A fun day to be sure. I may not get out this weekend - lots of work to be done around the cabin. Plus it's hotter than blazes out there.

I went out again on Tuesday and Wednesday night with my buddy. TONS of fish around in very shallow water but it took a long time to catch them as they were not biting. 7 on tuesday night and only 4 wednesday night. All 30-35 pounders and 43-47 inches.
The biggest one I caught on Tuesday had a big circle hook in his throat.
6B275C26-FEE6-404D-98FB-41186E7781D3.jpeg

Damn. Busy week. I didn't even post.

Hit the lake last Sunday AM. Calm as hell. Nice temps. Went out around 5:30 which is now a smidge BEFORE sunrise.

Missed 4 in 30 min on a Plopper and crank bait. Then realized I was in the Sallies. They couldn't get their mouths around the treble hooks. (They were all small - 1-2.5#)

Swapped to a Bico jig in orange/green pumpkin with a Rage Craw matching trailer. In the next 45 min or so, I boated 5 Sallies. Again, not big, but aggressive. . . after the bite.

Every single one barely took the bait. It was so subtle. But once they knew it was on it was like telling your wife during lovemaking that her sister is better at it. Grab hold and HANG ON! LOL

A fun day to be sure. I may not get out this weekend - lots of work to be done around the cabin. Plus it's hotter than blazes out there.
Those little smallies don't know they're little. lol

Back
Top Bottom