• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2023- NH Legislation

Coming up next week and WTF is up with this committee recommendation? I got it, shit happens and people can't attend a hearing, but come on man. [banghead]
Things do happen, but there is no excuse for not notifying your whip that you're going to be absent, so that another member can sit in.

Even if Sytek (or a replacement) had been there to force a tie vote ("without recommendation"), it would still get an OTP vote in the full House.

The amendment passed the committee 17-2. That means the original version must have been horrible, and of course the committee knew the numbers before any votes were taken.

Things do happen, but there is no excuse for not notifying your whip that you're going to be absent, so that another member can sit in.

Even if Sytek (or a replacement) had been there to force a tie vote ("without recommendation"), it would still get an OTP vote in the full House.

The amendment passed the committee 17-2. That means the original version must have been horrible, and of course the committee knew the numbers before any votes were taken.

It would be nice if party leadership could communicate this to the members.

I just read the amendment. It looks like they cut out all the stuff about locks and focused the scope on negligent storage. Instead of a new section in 159, it simply amends existing law in 650. The original bill would have fined a private seller $1K for selling a firearm without a lock.:rolleyes:

As a disclaimer, I do not want this bill to pass as it is a bad precedent to let a D sponsored gun bill pass. The additions under 2, III are extremely overreaching-see (d) and (e). That said, RSA 650-C:1 could use some work. I am obviously not a prosecutor and am only reading this law all by itself, but from what I understand is if my imaginary 14yo kid acquires my negligently stored firearm and uses it in a felony, I'll be fined not more than $1,000. Kind of low, IMO. This bill as amended would change that to a misdemeanor and in some cases a class B felony.

Bill still does not need to pass as it is written or amended. Republicans could hijack the intent next year by simply adjusting some of the penalties in 650-C:1.

HB 351 was "Indefinitely Postponed". I didn't watch the session, so no idea why that instead of ITL.

Dan Wolf voted with the Dems on both roll call votes for this bill(the amendment which failed and then the OTP for the original egregious bill). Joseph Pitre (R-Strafford) voted with the Dems on the original egregious bill.

HB135 (prohibiting no-knock warrants) passed 374-9 (6R/3D opposed).

I didn't see the debate. Hopefully @design will be along to comment, since he voted against it.
The amendment left a loop hole that was it effectively made the bill a feel good measure.

Last edited:
I also see from the news that the "parental bill of rights" (HB10) failed in the House. Seems like some random rep luckily saved it from being completely killed by tabling it after the failure of the OTP.

R reps voting against parents with the Ds: Mike Bordes, Travis O'Hara, Mark Proulx, and guess who-Dan the Dem Wolf.

This is despite this:

New Hampshire residents are divided in supporting proposed “Parental Bill of Rights” legislation. However, most Granite Staters agree with some rights included in the legislation, including the right for parents to consent to all medical treatments for their child, inspection of educational materials, and to know if their child identifies as a different name or gender at school. A slim plurality oppose a separate proposal to ban gender-affirmative care for minors in the state. One-third of Granite Staters say that housing is the most important problem facing the state, an all-time high. Chris Sununu is still viewed positively as governor.

Last edited:
The amendment left a loop hole that was it effectively made the bill a feel good measure.

Oof

Just read the as passed bill.

The amendment basically allowed on scene decided no knocks under II(a)(2 &3).

Is this bill worth passing in the Senate/signing into law or is it just more garbage to confuse LE and/or allow large holes in the protection of citizens' rights?

Oof

Just read the as passed bill.

The amendment basically allowed on scene decided no knocks under II(a)(2 &3).

Is this bill worth passing in the Senate/signing into law or is it just more garbage to confuse LE and/or allow large holes in the protection of citizens' rights?
Bill is useless and at a minimum needs to be re-written.

HB 351 was "Indefinitely Postponed". I didn't watch the session, so no idea why that instead of ITL.
Indefinitely postponed is the ultimate way to kill a bill. It is a higher priority motion and sometimes it is fun to make a serious political point.
Tabling is also a higher priority motion and that is a "we don't want to talk about this and just want it to go away quietly and maybe it can come back next year" motion.

I also see from the news that the "parental bill of rights" (HB10) failed in the House. Seems like some random rep luckily saved it from being completely killed by tabling it after the failure of the OTP.

R reps voting against parents with the Ds: Mike Bordes, Travis O'Hara, Mark Proulx, and guess who-Dan the Dem Wolf.

This is despite this:

New Hampshire residents are divided in supporting proposed “Parental Bill of Rights” legislation. However, most Granite Staters agree with some rights included in the legislation, including the right for parents to consent to all medical treatments for their child, inspection of educational materials, and to know if their child identifies as a different name or gender at school. A slim plurality oppose a separate proposal to ban gender-affirmative care for minors in the state. One-third of Granite Staters say that housing is the most important problem facing the state, an all-time high. Chris Sununu is still viewed positively as governor.

👎

back to hb135: This loophole is so large, everything fits through it.

"(2) If an officer did not anticipate the need for a no knock entry at the time the warrant was sought, the officer may conduct a no-knock entry only if exigent circumstances arise at the scene such that knocking and announcing the officer’s presence would create an imminent threat of physical violence to the officer and/or another person.

I'll look myself later on, but does NH law address no knocks at all?

If not, HB135 as amended is a start at tightening that up.

Still, the amendmant is absurdly anti citizen in its on scene flexibility.

Sorry for the thread drift, but I am trying to find the bill or RSA that addresses health providers charging uninsured patients the same as they would if they were insured. Been looking for a while and can’t seem to find much of anything. Does this ring a bell with anyone? Thanks.

The Senate loves them some checkpoints and interfering with citizens traveling through NH. :rolleyes:

The previous killed immigration checkpoint notification thing was put into HB2. Looks like the Senate is going to yank that out.

The Finance Committee also voted Monday to strip a provision from the budget passed by the House requiring that local and state police notify the public of any federal immigration checkpoint.

The Senate has already rejected an identical standalone House bill on that policy.

The Senate loves them some checkpoints and interfering with citizens traveling through NH. :rolleyes:

The previous killed immigration checkpoint notification thing was put into HB2. Looks like the Senate is going to yank that out.

The Finance Committee also voted Monday to strip a provision from the budget passed by the House requiring that local and state police notify the public of any federal immigration checkpoint.

The Senate has already rejected an identical standalone House bill on that policy.
I am not surprised, as the prime sponsor of a previous version of that bill (this year's language was identical).

If the NH House is GOA/SAF/JPFO/NAGR, the NH Senate is the Fudd range officer at your club, yelling at you for shooting more than 1 shot every five seconds.

I am not surprised, as the prime sponsor of a previous version of that bill (this year's language was identical).

If the NH House is GOA/SAF/JPFO/NAGR, the NH Senate is the Fudd range officer at your club, yelling at you for shooting more than 1 shot every five seconds.
I am so sick of the senate f***ing up or f***in* with good legislation from the house. What the hell is wrong with these people?

Back
Top Bottom