• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

21 killed, 18 injured in shooting at elementary school in Uvalde, Texas

My kids school has already reacted the way I'd prefer which is by adding an additional resource officer. Ive met a few of them and they are great guys who get involved in the school.

The cats long been out of the bag with the crazy/Manchurian person doing what they do. Pragmatically all we can do is put people there who will deter passivly and fight when needed.
I'm fine with a resource officers, I think they need to be plain clothes and the kids shouldn't know they are an officer. If an 18 year old is hell bent on shooting up a school with a semi-automatic rifle, that uniformed resource officer is getting shot first.

Gonna be this:
  • Get police out of schools--they aren't effective at stopping school shootings and only contribute to the school-to-prison pipeline
  • Raise the minimum age for firearms purchase to 21
  • We need to ban assault weapons now!
  • We need to ban ghost guns now!
  • Possible pistol ban (depends on how far they want to take this one)
  • Possible ban on high powered sniper [hunting] rifles (depending on what he purchased)
Guaranteed the first four points minimum. For the kids, you know.
an executive order cannot do it all.
they can raise the minimum age at a federal level, yes. and throw more hurdles in into the acquisition process, like from a 1 week to 6 months delay on the federal gun purchase confirmation transaction.

they would love try to do something about semi-automatics, but it is not really doable, so they probably will try to insert hurdles into something that already exists, to make it non-operational.

I'm fine with a resource officers, I think they need to be plain clothes and the kids shouldn't know they are an officer. If an 18 year old is hell bent on shooting up a school with a semi-automatic rifle, that uniformed resource officer is getting shot first.

Umm... have you been in a school lately?

There's no way the kids don't figure out who the cop is after their first day on the job.

an executive order cannot do it all.
they can raise the minimum age at a federal level, yes. and throw more hurdles in into the acquisition process, like from a 1 week to 6 months delay on the federal gun purchase confirmation transaction.

they would love try to do something about semi-automatics, but it is not really doable, so they probably will try to insert hurdles into something that already exists, to make it non-operational.

You think they give a shit? Have you not been paying attention the last two and a half years?

You think they give a shit? Have you not been paying attention the last two and a half years?
to talk about it calmly - yes, they do give some shit to all of that, plus of course they pursue the same old agenda.
everybody with brains understand that current situation is in a deadlock and requires some sort of the resolution, and while both sides are locked into absolutism of opinions like 'all or nothing' - it is not going to produce anything productive.

Gonna be this:
  • Get police out of schools--they aren't effective at stopping school shootings and only contribute to the school-to-prison pipeline
  • Raise the minimum age for firearms purchase to 21
  • We need to ban assault weapons now!
  • We need to ban ghost guns now!
  • Possible pistol ban (depends on how far they want to take this one)
  • Possible ban on high powered sniper [hunting] rifles (depending on what he purchased)
Guaranteed the first four points minimum. For the kids, you know.
The last two would stir the Fudd's I think.

I'm going to disagree with you on this one. I don't think it's "better" to push a false narrative than no narrative at all.

I'd generally rather media outlets keep their mouths shut until they have facts. This is why responsible media organizations have policies about sourcing. Sure, it slows information, but if you think it's "better" to spew unsourced lies? I'm not sure why you'd think that.

Im gonna be honest and say that my visceral reaction to any mass shooting is to go into a hyper defensive mode to distance any identifiers I have in common with the suspect because I know that for another media cycle my views and way of life will be under constant attack. Its an immature and non productive reaction to have in such a case and after a good nights sleep I have to wake up to the repercussions of acting like a spaz and using my lizard brain last night.
The wiser members here have a pattern of sitting out these discussions until the facts remain clear and I feel like a retard for not following that path. All I can do is say that it was stupid of me and I should've put my phone down the moment I got home last night until I had time to digest this story and make a level headed assessment.
I respect you and your criticism and hope that youll call me out in the future if Im unable to catch myself first.

Says who? Has that ever happened?

I wasn't listening to the boob tube, but the missus interrupted my NES reverie by stating, "I'd take that training. But I don't know how I'd live with myself if I had to kill somebody."
My wife (LTC and carries everywhere) would feel absolutely awful as well. She probably "wouldn't know how she'd live with herself if she had to kill somebody".
Then she'd realize she just saved her own life plus our kids lives (plus the lives of 20 or so kids plus others etc).

Then she'd probably go for coffee... (with her Ruger locked and loaded and holstered in her waist, just as always).

Point is none of us - NONE of us - really want to kill anyone, ever. But we carry because we know fully well that we have roughly three to seven SECONDS to react quickly to save ourselves (or our kids). "Just call 911" ain't gonna save us. And if we absolutely, positively have no other alternative than to eliminate a threat by firing our weapon at it?
Then so be it.

Just sayin'

The last two would stir the Fudd's I think.
fudds will suffer with everybody else, as the only way for feds to interfere, again, is to disrupt something they do have control over, already. so they will try to alter the existing processes - no more an immediate 'proceed' response from NICS, ever, and instead - who knows what.

there are a ton of things they can try doing in this grey zone that does not directly 'infringe' anything, but will render your efficient ability to acquire any guns ad-hoc nearly non-existent.

I think your correct but would a shooter recognize him? A uniform is nothing but a blue target.
School shooters aren't looking for return fire. The majority of school shootings take place in known gun free zones with no police. The only exception i can think of is parkland and in that case the officer fled/hid and did not engage.

to talk about it calmly - yes, they do give some shit to all of that, plus of course they pursue the same old agenda.
everybody with brains understand that current situation is in a deadlock and requires some sort of the resolution, and while both sides are locked into absolutism of opinions like 'all or nothing' - it is not going to produce anything productive.
If anybody really cared they would go after the root of the problem; the disintegration of the strong family unit. But if you look at every news headline they are doing the opposite. By design. That is a fact. And most people are too busy watching reality tv to realize what is happening right in front of their face. Our society is an absolute disgrace.

Biden, Pelosi, and crew, as well as a bunch of rhinos, just wet themselves. Has good old Mitt opened his mouth yet? This is a wonderful opportunity to finally get closer to disarming the public. With all this Global crap going on, they need it done. It is the last line of defense and they need it out of the way.

Yup. Got my tinfoil hat on, but I'm not far off from the truth.

I think your correct but would a shooter recognize him? A uniform is nothing but a blue target.

My two thoughts:

1. Most school shooters have some familiarity with their target building, probably enough to know who the cop is.

2. I don't think it matters: school shooters, once they start taking return fire from ANYWHERE, more often than not didi mau to some other AO or shoot themselves. Granted, if the reports about this shooting are correct, this guy didn't. But almost all the rest of them do.

I wasn't listening to the boob tube, but the missus interrupted my NES reverie by stating, "I'd take that training. But I don't know how I'd live with myself if I had to kill somebody." Surprised the hell out of me. She doesn't really have students as much as she adopts 15-20 urchins every school year. Then she said, "I know I couldn't live with myself if I couldn't stop somebody from hurting one of my kids." She's got more brass than I give her credit for.

Apparently there was a story on TV about a formal group that trains armed teachers. Sorry I missed it.
Please tell your wife thank you for being a teacher and trying to make a difference in her "urchins'" lives.

I bet you could find guys or gals with firearms experience and military in every community they would volunteer a few shifts a week covering schools. If you know there are folks with AR-15’s waiting for you. You might just think twice. Of course that’s just nonsense talk why with towns like Newton and Cambridge. Those pinko commies would faint at the thought. But other parts of the country that could fly if it’s not already happening.

I bet you could find guys or gals with firearms experience and military in every community they would volunteer a few shifts a week covering schools. If you know there are folks with AR-15’s waiting for you. You might just think twice. Of course that’s just nonsense talk why with towns like Newton and Cambridge. Those pinko commies would faint at the thought. But other parts of the country that could fly if it’s not already happening.

I would assume these volunteers would demand legal protection, though, in the event they did have to shoot. So now lawyers are involved, plus insurers, plus expenditures. And these are public schools, so a policy would need to be written, vetted by the school committee...

I don't think your simple solution is all that simple, when compared to simply funding an additional SRO for whom none of those needs exist.

Two of the officers were shot by the POS
The officers shot were chasing him. He crashed the car and ran into the school.

Why were the doors not locked as is the standard today? It's coming to light that the school might not have been a target until the crash. Very little is known or being released at this time.

That 54 billion we just sent to Ukraine would hire an awful lot if private security...

Lets do some quick, simple math...

130,930 schools in the united states according to a quick google search.

54 billion dollars
÷
--------------------------------------
$412,000 per school

If they actually wanted to stop this, they would, but they dont, not until you give up your ability to secure yourself from their tyranny.
a security expert on Fox said there are 500k schools with 900k entrances.

The officers shot were chasing him. He crashed the car and ran into the school.

Why were the doors not locked as is the standard today? It's coming to light that the school might not have been a target until the crash. Very little is known or being released at this time.

That's becuase it doesn't fit the narrative.

Back
Top Bottom