• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.22 conversion for a 1911

I went to the range last night – again – and before I knew it I’d put another 200 rounds through my 1911. That’s 400 rounds in the last week. This is very quickly becoming an expensive addiction. I want to continue to train with the 1911, but I don’t know if I can afford to shoot it as much as I’d like. I have a Ruger Mark III, but it feels so different from the 1911, I don’t feel like practice with that gun helps.

So I’m very seriously considering a .22 conversion for my 1911. I figure at the rate I’m going, if I only shot half as much .45 as I do now, I’d probably pay for the conversion within a few months.

My first question is, what’s the general consensus on .22LR conversion kits for the 1911? Is there any particular brand I should look for? Colt and Wilson are at the top of my list right now. I’ve seen a few old Colt conversion kits floating around, most recently at FS, but they’re all well used and seem kind of expensive. What about Wilson – I’m a big fan of their other products, so I’d imagine the conversion kit has to be pretty good. I’ve seen other kits online, but I don’t know anything about the manufacturer or their reputation. Is there anyone else I should look into.

Second question is, do I need to take into consideration the platform I’m putting the conversion on? Will custom parts or trigger jobs cause a problem with a .22 conversion? Or should I just get an old 1911 clone and slap a conversion on that instead?

Or (third question) is there a better alternative to the conversion kit? What about a .22 that feels similar to the 1911 (like the Ruger 22/45)?

Thanks for your input!

-Christopher

I've heard rave reviews of hte Advantage Arms conversion kits for Glocks, from the Glock factory technical support folks.

Thus, I would expect the same from any 1911 model.

No personal experience with any of them.

The Marvel conversion is the best currently- They offer a sighted vesrion or one with a rib for a scope. The Kimber also a good unit. As for your lower you should have no problem with either the Marvel or the Kimber on it. Greg Derr

Last edited:
The top shooter in one of the two Bullseye leagues I shoot in uses a Marvel conversion - not sure what lower it's on. He's carrying a 282+ average and a 294 top score this year. Not too shabby.

The top shooter in one of the two Bullseye leagues I shoot in uses a Marvel conversion - not sure what lower it's on. He's carrying a 282+ average and a 294 top score this year. Not too shabby.

So I get a Marvel conversion, and I shoot like him, right???

Have you considered reloading as an alternative? or are you already doing that?

Something I've considered, but I'm not quite ready to venture into that world just yet. Eventually, but one thing at a time.

Out of curiosity, how much does it cost to reload? Assuming you've already bought the equipment and deal with the start up costs, what does it cost to reload 50 rounds of .45? How much time does it take?

Over the years, I've heard mixed reviews on .22 conversion kits for 1911 pistols.

The issue is how to derive enough power to cycle the locked-breech .45, given that the .22 does not develop enough recoil. The "solution" is to employ a chamber that floats in the rear of the barrel. When the .22 is fired, some of the gas gets between the rear of the barrel face and the front of the floating chamber, and this forces the floating chamber back against the breech face with enough force to cycle the gun. In essence, you have convered the 1911 from a recoil-operated pistol to a gas-assisted pistol.

So far as I can divine, the key to these things is to keep the barrel, floating chamber, and the recess in which the chamber floats very clean.

I've never seen a conversion kit that had any interaction with the trigger assembly, so that should not be a problem. You are using the regular 1911 trigger, sear and hammer.

I'm using a Colt .22 Conversion Unit on my M1911, and it works fine
with all SV loads.
They became quite pricey over the years, used ones are running from $ 500
up by now; an original mag from $ 70.

Just an fyi - Tactical Solutions is coming out with a new 1911 22lr kit within the next couple of months - This unit is very well design, made out of steel and has newly designed alumn. mags - I've had a chance to use one of their prototypes and it seems to work great. I had some light strike issues with ammo - but that was due to my light trigger.
Out of 1000 rounds I had one failure to feed - and I attribute that to a dirty slide.

For those "old school" shooters - I have an old Kart 22lr kit (6" slide) w/ two mags - I'll be listing it for sale soon.
Paul

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom