22 LR ammo

Today was my lucky day . Happened to stop into Walmart in Bellingham. The kid in the sporting section was stocking the ammo cabinet. They received 5 cases of Winchester 22LR. I bought a 1000 rd box for 54.00 and change including tax.

I keep seeing people say don't buy Winchester 22LR? As long as you know it works in your 22s.

I have guns that shoot it no problem and i have guns that won't cycle a single round of that and many others. Seems to me any of my newer 22's will shoot it fine, my older ones wont. You dont know till you try but i bet most will be ok.

The only .22LR ammo that doesn't run well in my Ruger MkIII is this Federal stuff:

1967.jpg

Lots of FTFs.

I stumbled into a supply of 100 round boxes (bought the 3-box limit), but the big boxes were gone. The kid behind the counter was amazed that they had gotten so much in, and that they still had some left.

That was Littleton, NH; I got lucky in Woodsville NH a couple of months ago.

This has been a problem since the 22 round has come out.Finding the right ammo that will work in your gun.What does not work in my semi auto I save for my revolers,and bolt guns.

I have seen a lot of duds in the M22 in the black boxes but it is also probably the cheapest available right now at about .05 per rd. I have also had issues with the Winchester super x in the 100 rd red plastic boxes. Lots of duds on first hit, most will fire if you hit them again.
I think it all depends on the gun(s). I went through a bucket of golden bullets over three range trips 2 weeks ago with not 1 issue. Others have told me that they wouldnt use the GB's if they gave them away.

The only .22LR ammo that doesn't run well in my Ruger MkIII is this Federal stuff:

1967.jpg

Lots of FTFs.
our bull barrel ruger 10-22 loves this stuff. Been through dozens of boxes and only a couple ftf. Winchester white box lately has sucked ass. Cant even fit the damn things into my revolver.

Was superbly surprised when I was at Walpole and they had a couple boxes of WWB. All gone by the next day and only to return two days later to see one last box of Fed.

Those who really like shooting are not going to be caught again with out at least 22
I see this trend continuing for some time.

Love Winchester Super X .22LR (the 36gr CPHP stuff). It's still around $0.05/rnd when you find it on the shelf and it's more accurate than even the expensive match stuff in my Savage MKII. Consistently MOA out to 100 yards, with my best 100 yard group being 0.84".

Not sure what availability looks like now, but around March and April I went to Walmart about every other day and stocked up 6000 rounds of the stuff. All set for decades with a bolt gun.

Love Winchester Super X .22LR (the 36gr CPHP stuff). It's still around $0.05/rnd when you find it on the shelf and it's more accurate than even the expensive match stuff in my Savage MKII. Consistently MOA out to 100 yards, with my best 100 yard group being 0.84".

Not sure what availability looks like now, but around March and April I went to Walmart about every other day and stocked up 6000 rounds of the stuff. All set for decades with a bolt gun.

I have had the exact same experience with my Savage MKII. I can hit a silver dollar sized spinner target 9/10 times at 100 yards with Winchester Super X 40Gr. best i can do with other stuff is 6-10.

1967.jpg

Lots of FTFs.
The Federal Auto Match has functioned flawlessly in my Ruger 22/45 LITE. It isn't as clean as the CCI fodder but it runs good if I keep after the mess. I.E. clean thoroughly after 300 or so rounds. I can tell as accuracy starts to drop off and extraction issues start popping up. CCI starts having these same issues around the 500 to 600 round mark.

Last edited:
The Federal Auto Match has functioned flawlessly in my Ruger 22/45 LITE. It isn't as clean as the CCI fodder but it runs good if I keep after the mess. I.E. clean thoroughly after 300 or so rounds. I can tell as accuracy starts to drop off and extraction issues start popping up. CCI starts having these same issues around the 500 to 600 round mark.

i have had my 2 10/22's for 30+ years. when i was younger, i never cleaned the damn things! this was the only ammunition i ever had that failed to feed.

I miss the days when I could find CCI SV almost anywhere every weekend. [crying]...and that was only about 5 years ago.

I miss the days when I could find CCI SV almost anywhere every weekend. [crying]...and that was only about 5 years ago.

See that's where most went wrong relying on stores to have what we need on a regular basis.

I learned my ammo hoarding craft from my dad. Always have more than you ever intend to shoot on hand and in reserve 2 times as much
Growing up brother and I would easily shoot 20k rounds of 22lr a year. 2 times a year my dad bought 22lr by cases in NH. 4-6 cases a year was common as long as dad had the money....I'm still shooting some of the last case he bought in 1996....

1967.jpg

Lots of FTFs.

my Browning Buckmark doesn't love this stuff that much either. Luckily my M&P 22 will eat anything.

Was at Walmart Monday night, they had a bunch of American eagle 50 round boxes and 500s, cci quiet and a lonely 1000 round brick of m22 left. Hadn't seen much of it in a while there, just a little wwb a few weeks prior.

Kittery had tons of 22lr last weekend. American eagle 40 round packs were 2.99

I recently found a 50 round box of CCI .22LR I bought in the late 70's...fiddy cent.

Yup....22LR used to be a penny a round. A brick cost $5. Those were the days...

Last edited:
Stopped by bass pro hooksett for some xmas shopping. They opened at 5:00am. I did NOT get there at 5:00am. Showed up at 7:00. They had fed auto match for 20 bucks one box per customer. Im not hurtin for Ammo but will get it when its reasonable. They had about 50 -75 boxes left on the cart by the ammo shelves. Checked out at about 7:45. Women asked how early i got there for the 22lr. I said like 20 minutes ago. She laughed and said there were dozens of people that lines up at 2am to get 22 ammo. What. The. ****. If people are hurtin for ammo that bad they a ****ing off the chart stupid. Shot over to ktp.....looking at used shotguns for a snow shoe hare trip this winter. Shelves are loaded with 22. Even the same fed auto match for 20 bucks.

I went to Hooksett bass pro on Wednesday and grabbed the remaining 5 boxes of CCI SV and 100 round box of CCI Minimags. Then went to shooters to grab some H110 powder and they were loaded with 22.

I was in a gun shop Wednesday and they had at least 50 cases of .22. Everything from CCI Choot em' to CCI mini mags to higher priced target ammo. I only bought a brick of Wolf Match Extra for $89 since I don't have a need for more .22 at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom