22 LR ammo

Today was my lucky day . Happened to stop into Walmart in Bellingham. The kid in the sporting section was stocking the ammo cabinet. They received 5 cases of Winchester 22LR. I bought a 1000 rd box for 54.00 and change including tax.

Good price. Winchester Super X is the most accurate round I've put through my Savage MKII (sub MOA). On the flip side I think the primers are softer and it's prone to slam-fires in my .22LR AR conversion bolt, so I can't use it with that. Never tried it with a dedicated semi-auto .22.

That GECO "optimized for semi-auto" is good stuff. You need a rag to wipe your hands off periodically, but it runs just about every .22 semi I've got, and prints accurately.

I find this to be such bull shit..... 50 plus year old 22 semi auto I have will run on shorts, longs or LR.... please special ammo for semi auto's really. Never was such a thing 50 plus years ago.
Actually 2 things kept 22s from cycling back then. A shitty gun or a dirty gun. If the manufactures woud just make a good product there wouldn't be a need for "semi auto 22lr ammo" WTF
I will keep my 50 plus year old Remington 552 over anything semi auto made in the past 10 years. It will cycle shorts with out adjustment or any special ammo so will my JC Higgins model 31 and my S&W model 41 from the 60s will cycle all but the Remington goldenturds even some 1970s vintage Remington green box target stuff I still have.

playing with the old 513T with target sights....quick from the bench with elbow for support.... Aquila super extra, Centerion Target and SK Standard Plus
gun is set up for 100 yards I had to aim at the bull below.

playing with the old 513T with target sights....quick from the bench with elbow for support.... Aquila super extra, Centerion Target and SK Standard Plus
gun is set up for 100 yards I had to aim at the bull below.
Those are impressive groups! Always found it amazing that the "ballistics" of 22lr are such that it hits higher at 50 yards when zeroed at 100 yards (similar to firing the M2 machine gun that when zeroed at 10 meters is zeroed at 1000 meters therefore you have to aim VERY frigging low at 500 meters) 22lr works the same principle just on a smaller scale.......the "arc" traveled by 22lr is big.......but as you show here VERY predictable with a good rifle and decent ammo!

Those are impressive groups! Always found it amazing that the "ballistics" of 22lr are such that it hits higher at 50 yards when zeroed at 100 yards (similar to firing the M2 machine gun that when zeroed at 10 meters is zeroed at 1000 meters therefore you have to aim VERY frigging low at 500 meters) 22lr works the same principle just on a smaller scale.......the "arc" traveled by 22lr is big.......but as you show here VERY predictable with a good rifle and decent ammo!

Basic trajectory of the 22lr standard velocity at 25 yards your point of impact is aprox 2.5" high of point of aim to be point of aim point of impact at 100 yards. its close enough to be on paper anyway. velocity and ammo might be a few +/- MOA. Now if you want to reach out to 200 yards shooting at 25 yards your point of impact will be about 7.5-10" above point of aim. A 200 yard zero will hit aprox 20" high when shooting at 100 yards.
If you want to be able to hit a 2" target with out changing your center aim hold point you could zero your rilfe around 15 yards or so and you should be able to hit a 2" target out to 65-70 yards with out changing your point of aim.
I know this particular rifle can shoot very well. if I spend the cash on some higher end Lapua or Eley or if I really want to spend tennex has down wonders but at 20+ cents a shot and my degrading skills and vision I think 65$/500 is about the best I will shoot these days.

A dealer friend of mine has a couple of pallets of Gemtech .22 ammo coming in soon. He's going to be looking for $450 per case. (5000 rounds). The pallets should be in within a couple of weeks. If anyone is interested PM me.

Gemtech ammo is made by CCI and is subsonic, but will cycle every semi-auto I've shot it in. It may be because the bullet is 42 gr or it may be fast burning power or both. Either way, I've found this to be EXCELLENT ammo. Kind of like CCI SV but it will cycle everything.

Don

I find this to be such bull shit..... 50 plus year old 22 semi auto I have will run on shorts, longs or LR.... please special ammo for semi auto's really. Never was such a thing 50 plus years ago.
Actually 2 things kept 22s from cycling back then. A shitty gun or a dirty gun. If the manufactures woud just make a good product there wouldn't be a need for "semi auto 22lr ammo" WTF
I will keep my 50 plus year old Remington 552 over anything semi auto made in the past 10 years. It will cycle shorts with out adjustment or any special ammo so will my JC Higgins model 31 and my S&W model 41 from the 60s will cycle all but the Remington goldenturds even some 1970s vintage Remington green box target stuff I still have.

The marketing may be bullshit, but the ammo's good stuff. I've got a couple of Browning Buckmarks that are a bit "finicky", and this stuff runs nicely in them, along with running in everything else I've got.

.22's are funny guns, my wife's got a sig mosquito that won't reliably run on anything except some CCI "optimized for the .22 AR platform". I use the GECO "optimized for the semi" in my Savage Mark-II bolt action because I get the best groups out of it, same goes for my 10-22. I run the Remington Golden in my S&W 617 because it's accurate enough what I'm doing with it, (shooting plates and pins), they're cheap, I've got lots of them and I can reload quickly with them.

Basic trajectory of the 22lr standard velocity at 25 yards your point of impact is aprox 2.5" high of point of aim to be point of aim point of impact at 100 yards. its close enough to be on paper anyway. velocity and ammo might be a few +/- MOA. Now if you want to reach out to 200 yards shooting at 25 yards your point of impact will be about 7.5-10" above point of aim. A 200 yard zero will hit aprox 20" high when shooting at 100 yards.
If you want to be able to hit a 2" target with out changing your center aim hold point you could zero your rilfe around 15 yards or so and you should be able to hit a 2" target out to 65-70 yards with out changing your point of aim.
I know this particular rifle can shoot very well. if I spend the cash on some higher end Lapua or Eley or if I really want to spend tennex has down wonders but at 20+ cents a shot and my degrading skills and vision I think 65$/500 is about the best I will shoot these days.

I never ran the math but have many many many range trips to qualify on the M2 platform. The process was to actually "zero" at 10 meters......seriously you start M2 machine gun "table 1" training by shooting at a target 10 meters away. Once you figure out your hold point (there is no way to "zero" an M2 you just get used to where the gun hits and use an a gunner to help you adjust) you move on to the qualification which is area targets that pop up out to 1000 meters.....for those targets you pretty much aim center mass........the "arc" of the tracers is HUGE......like mini artillery. ......but you will hit the 1000 meter targets with a center mass hold. The hardest to hit are the 300-600 meter targets........like I said I never ran the math but it seems like to hit the 500 you are aiming like 50 feet in front of the target!

Interesting stuff ballistic trajectory.........and I find the 22lr to be the same concept as ma deuce just on a much shorter scale. Well.......and not quite as fun as rocking an M2!

I guess my point in all this is that different cartridges have different trajectory characteristics.......17 hmr is very flat.......so is .556. What makes 22lr so interesting is figuring out how to zero yours and know the hold points for different distances.

Last edited:
I never ran the math but have many many many range trips to qualify on the M2 platform. The process was to actually "zero" at 10 meters......seriously you start M2 machine gun "table 1" training by shooting at a target 10 meters away. Once you figure out your hold point (there is no way to "zero" an M2 you just get used to where the gun hits and use an a gunner to help you adjust) you move on to the qualification which is area targets that pop up out to 1000 meters.....for those targets you pretty much aim center mass........the "arc" of the tracers is HUGE......like mini artillery. ......but you will hit the 1000 meter targets with a center mass hold. The hardest to hit are the 300-600 meter targets........like I said I never ran the math but it seems like to hit the 500 you are aiming like 50 feet in front of the target!

Interesting stuff ballistic trajectory.........and I find the 22lr to be the same concept as ma deuce just on a much shorter scale. Well.......and not quite as fun as rocking an M2!

I guess my point in all this is that different cartridges have different trajectory characteristics.......17 hmr is very flat.......so is .556. What makes 22lr so interesting is figuring out how to zero yours and know the hold points for different distances.

Absolutely....
Every gun is like that.....my great uncle once was talking about how he guesstimate distance in the field during WWII.
He simply said if you could see a torso size target and it was wider than the front sight you held on the belly/waist. If the front sight was fatter than the torso you held near the head....windage you prayed was dead on.

We had a WWII fighter pilot for a technology class in high school . He used to give us dog fighting classes. Had the little planes on sticks and used to try and tell us how to figure out angle of attack for the 50 cal. and how to lead them in.

If your zeroed for 1000 yards you probably a good 5 feet high at 500 yards.
My little ballistic calculator only does down to 25 yards. Which is about 5" high of point of aim..... thing is with a 50 cal often close is good enough.

Last edited:
Stopped at the Pittsfield Walmart on Friday and low and behold, .22 LR. First time I've seen .22 there in 4 years. There were two boxes of Remington Thunderbolt 500ct. for about $24 each. I bought them both.

Stopped at the Pittsfield Walmart on Friday and low and behold, .22 LR. First time I've seen .22 there in 4 years. There were two boxes of Remington Thunderbolt 500ct. for about $24 each. I bought them both.

That's to bad... thunderturds and all.
22 seems to be in stock most places now ...it's just a matter of price.
Looks like 7 cents a round is the new low price.

I should have bought all that elley match stuff a few years ago that was still on the shelf during the 22 shortage. It was only 75-100$ 500 rounds same stuff now runs 14-20$ box 50.

Last edited:
BassPro in Foxboro has Federal 325 rnds packs do $20 and 100 rnd golden bullets for $10.

Had 25+ of each @10am.

Anybody shot Aguilla Super Extra HV?

3436.jpg

Got an email about a deal at around 7.5 cents, delivered, for 5,000 rounds. I'm tempted to jump on it.

Anybody shot Aguilla Super Extra HV?

3436.jpg

Got an email about a deal at around 7.5 cents, delivered, for 5,000 rounds. I'm tempted to jump on it.

I,have shot many K rounds of super extra ... since 7.5 cents appears to be the new "cheap" price why not. I have no experience with the HV stuff. Over the years I have not found any gain using HV 22lr if anything 95% of the time I loose accuracy....I will be testing some in my daughter's Rascal out of the 16" barrel to up velocity a little.

I,have shot many K rounds of super extra ... since 7.5 cents appears to be the new "cheap" price why not. I have no experience with the HV stuff. Over the years I have not found any gain using HV 22lr if anything 95% of the time I loose accuracy....I will be testing some in my daughter's Rascal out of the 16" barrel to up velocity a little.

It's the same price for this stuff:

3435.jpg

Any reason to go with one over the other? I'm just going to be blasting steel plates with it, not looking for tight groups or hunting rounds.

Which one requires more barrel cleaning, the copper plating or the plain lead?

I prefer standard velocity. But if you have something that had a hard time cycling then go with the HV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would guess that the copper plated would run a lot cleaner than the lead nose. That's been my experience with the CCI.

It's the same price for this stuff:

3435.jpg

Any reason to go with one over the other? I'm just going to be blasting steel plates with it, not looking for tight groups or hunting rounds.

Which one requires more barrel cleaning, the copper plating or the plain lead?

super extra is more like a "target load" more accurate than a "hunting" load but not as good as a "match" load. For the same money I would go with the SE. Not sure but I think the difference in the 2 you posted is velocity.? problem with agulia is their boxes are for ever changinging.

I will take lead vs plated any day. 22s for the most part do not need a lot of cleaning....maybe bolts but not so much barrels. If your not getting any clear signs of lead fouling there is no need for a a lot of barrel cleaning.... I give my 22 barrels a oil patch then dry patch then oil patch after a range trip to protect the barrel while in the closet.

I bought both the Aguila HV and SV (from the vendor you're referring to) and it shoots well from my Ruger SR22 and MKIII. Haven't tried them in the 10/22 yet.

I have shot a lot of the Aguila varieties and I think it is on par both quality and price wise with the other bulk pack 22. When the next ammo crisis hits the 22 will be the first to dry up so if you like to shoot it you should stock up on whatever is available now.

Thanks for the input. I went ahead and grabbed a case of the HV copper plated stuff. My new threshold has been if I find .22LR for under 8 cents I buy it. I haven't bothered looking in stores for a while, since I now have an ass-load of the stuff, but when a good deal shows up in my email it's hard to resist.

Thanks for the input. I went ahead and grabbed a case of the HV copper plated stuff. My new threshold has been if I find .22LR for under 8 cents I buy it. I haven't bothered looking in stores for a while, since I now have an ass-load of the stuff, but when a good deal shows up in my email it's hard to resist.
As much as I am not a huge fan I have bought some of the M22 lately when available. It is good for plinking and at Walmart it is .05 a round. It has a few duds but still cheap to shoot.

I've shot a lot of the Aguila in both flavors. The plated HV stuff is good for semi-auto rifles, particularly AR style! They do not like the lead SV stuff. My old rifles (vintage pump guns and lever guns) are much more accurate with the SV stuff. Same with my vintage wheel gun. The SR22 likes everything. For 100yds or more, you want the plated HV as its more accurate at distance probably because it doesn't drop as quickly.

I've shot a lot of the Aguila in both flavors. The plated HV stuff is good for semi-auto rifles, particularly AR style! They do not like the lead SV stuff. My old rifles (vintage pump guns and lever guns) are much more accurate with the SV stuff. Same with my vintage wheel gun. The SR22 likes everything. For 100yds or more, you want the plated HV as its more accurate at distance probably because it doesn't drop as quickly.

I have had zero luck with plated anything for accuracy? Same with HV . I only have gained some accuracy shooting HV out of a 16" barrel at 75 yards or less. ...past that they drop down back into sub sonic and seem to loose consistent groups?

22 is like anything find what your gun likes and try to buy as much as you can.

I just picked up some Elly target to try in the savage and 513t.

Agila super extra and centerion branded agulia I get 2moa at 100 yards average.
The centerion match I can keep it under 2"
SK standard plus 1.5"

I don't think this 2 guns can really shoot much better or I for that matter.
We will see how elly target does.... I'm capping my ammo choices to 8.00$ /50

For 100yds or more, you want the plated HV as its more accurate at distance probably because it doesn't drop as quickly.

My experience has been the complete opposite. CCI SV and Eley SV shoots much better in my bull barrel 10/22 compared to mini mags, fed automatch, golden bullet, fed 525 etc.

- - - Updated - - -

past that they drop down back into sub sonic and seem to loose consistent groups?

I think I read that when they transition from super sonic to subsonic they start to become unstable, compared to SV which is SV the whole time.

My experience has been the complete opposite. CCI SV and Eley SV shoots much better in my bull barrel 10/22 compared to mini mags, fed automatch, golden bullet, fed 525 etc.

Interesting. I think I have a lot of those in my ammo case so I may have to take a couple of my 22s out and experiment with all these different ammos @100yds and see what kind of results I get. I can probably come up with 6 or 7 different flavors of 22LR to test and being a long weekend it could be fun.

Back
Top Bottom