22 MAG suggestions ?

I’m looking for a good 22Mag gun. I’ve tried revolvers but after shooting a KelTec PMR my revolvers were not as fun as this type gun. While the KelTec was fun it just seems so light and even lighter trigger. I bought a Rock Island and it was perfect except horrible reliability. FTF and rounds getting stuck in Barel

I’m thinking of a Valquartsen Scorpion in 22Mag but would love a more 1911 type gun. The Rock island when it worked was sweet !
I already have a about 5k rounds of ammo so I’m ready on that end.
Thanks !

I don't shoot 22 mag, but if rounds are getting stuck, I would try a couple of things:

1. Polish feed ramp. I have seen competition barrels have horrible feed ramps..an example are Tactical Solutions barrels, sold for a lot of .22 handguns. I spent 10 minutes polishing one a few weeks back, it is easy with a Dremel and a quality polishing tip.

2. Might want to ream the chamber, assuming this is not for some bullseye competition.

I gave my barrel to a NES member to ream it. It is a .22LR, but he reamed a few Volquaetsen barrels and ran a torture test, 1000 rounds no cleaning on an MP22, not a single failure. This is a steel challenge gun so it doesn't need a super tight chamber. Volquartsen seem to have very tight chambers.

I would assume the same can apply to 22 MAG.

Simple things like that will improve reliability.

As far as FTF, you can try a new firing pin, maybe an extended pin if they sell them (should be cheap). But it could be related to rounds not feeding properly. When I polished my feedramp I sropped getting FTF.

fwiw I think of bolt action for 22mag. I use it for coyote/pest control where I want something stronger than 22lr but less than my 223. It’s great suppressed out of a bolt action. also great for water filled jugs, tin cans, and vegetables and fruit that have gone past. I don’t generally think of 22mag as a “plinker”

for bolt actions in 22mag I have a cz 452 varmint and a Ruger AmericanDE63EBF8-E906-4A2A-9261-07D7C00DCEF4.jpeg

fwiw I think of bolt action for 22mag. I use it for coyote/pest control where I want something stronger than 22lr but less than my 223. It’s great suppressed out of a bolt action. also great for water filled jugs, tin cans, and vegetables and fruit that have gone past. I don’t generally think of 22mag as a “plinker”

for bolt actions in 22mag I have a cz 452 varmint and a Ruger AmericanView attachment 647581
Nice rifle

I’m looking for a good 22Mag gun. I’ve tried revolvers but after shooting a KelTec PMR my revolvers were not as fun as this type gun. While the KelTec was fun it just seems so light and even lighter trigger. I bought a Rock Island and it was perfect except horrible reliability. FTF and rounds getting stuck in Barel

I’m thinking of a Valquartsen Scorpion in 22Mag but would love a more 1911 type gun. The Rock island when it worked was sweet !
I already have a about 5k rounds of ammo so I’m ready on that end.
Thanks !
Member has one for sale

.22 mag wasn't designed or made for semi auto pistols. bolt action rifles are it's forte. and as ruger found out, revolvers. their single action single six made converts out of a lot of the original rifle shooters. as did the smith double actions a bit later.

If you wanted reliability you had it in the Kel Tec and that's really the biggest issue .22 Mag has in an autoloader. You can always make a trigger heavier, the light weight you'd just have to deal with.

For a pistol I can't recommend anything else, even the old Automags in .22 were finicky. Get another Kel Tec and live with it. If it's a rifle you want a lever action would be great for fast shooting, but is a slow reload while bolt actions are a slow shooter, but a fast reload with mags.

Or if you're an adventurous man you could get a combination .22 Mag with a .410 barrel.

I have a Henry in 22mag as well. I need to nail it down with a particular ammo and practice more with it. the large brass front sight on it was about 12” at 100yds. I couldn’t hit crap with it.
Are you saying the bead covered 12” at 100 yards?
Or it shoots 12” high at 100?

Are you saying the bead covered 12” at 100 yards?
Or it shoots 12” high at 100?
The front bead is gigantic imo for a 22. Bead covered what seemed like 12” at 100yds(I didn’t measure it exactly). I may take some time to sight it in for the top of the bead but I’m not a big fan of large front sights on my rifles. especially 22’s where I may be shooting at something relatively small like a woodchuck, raccoon or coyote.

I have a bit of a 22mag problem…

Keltec PMR30
SW 351C
Charter Pathfinder Lite
Heritage RR22
RIA M1911-A1 XT22
*Magnum Research Magnum Lite Graphite
*Walther WMP
NAA multiple models
Ruger Precision
Standard S333

I need to add some Henry lever actions for sure. The two marked with * you should look into

The front bead is gigantic imo for a 22. Bead covered what seemed like 12” at 100yds(I didn’t measure it exactly). I may take some time to sight it in for the top of the bead but I’m not a big fan of large front sights on my rifles. especially 22’s where I may be shooting at something relatively small like a woodchuck, raccoon or coyote.
I was thinking you where hitting 12" high at 100 yards....then thought JFC how high is it shooting at 25-50 yards? lol
Some sights are not well intended for shooting at 100 yards.
I still like aperture style sights on anything I can get them on.

If you’re considering rifles, I’ve actually had pretty good luck with my Bear Creek Arsenal 22 WMR side charging upper. Since they give you a dedicated buffer spring and buffer for it, I’ve got a lower dedicated to it (the dedicated spring will only work in a carbine length extension, it’s too short for rifle length, though you could but a spacer in if you wanted). On a good day I can get 1 moa groups out of it.

Don't give this clown the time of day (original poster). Guy tried to scam me on mags and flaked when I told him to provide pictures

for bolt actions in 22mag I have a cz 452 varmint and a Ruger AmericanView attachment 647581
I have a ruger Murican in. 22 mag as well and love it.

I was unaware that 22mag was a cool handgun round.....

.22 WMR is the cat's ass. If you're not clever enough to buy a WMR/LR convertible, you can still shoot .22 WRF--"magnum-lite".

Unless you're too candy-ass to shoot a revolver, of course. Revolvers are for guys who can drive a stick shift. Good luck with your "some day I'll find the ammo that works in this sumbich" semi-auto soiboitoi.

.22 WMR is the cat's ass. If you're not clever enough to buy a WMR/LR convertible, you can still shoot .22 WRF--"magnum-lite".

Unless you're too candy-ass to shoot a revolver, of course. Revolvers are for guys who can drive a stick shift. Good luck with your "some day I'll find the ammo that works in this sumbich" semi-auto soiboitoi.
Just an observation, not trying to ruffle any feathers. I enjoy revolvers. I was driving manual shift ATVs and dirt bikes at 8 and my first ‘street legal’ CJ-3B at 11....(30 years ago) that bitch is still on the road!

Back
Top Bottom