22 or shotgun for rabbit?

Question for the experts; Has anyone hunted the dunes at Sandy neck beach? Haven’t hunted there in over 25 years and remember it being a interesting hunt. We had a beagle but I would be hunting without a dog now.

I’ve not hunted rabbits in many years, been doing upland game and would like to extend my season in the woods. How are the WMA for rabbits?

By the way shotgun is the way to go. I’ll probably use a nice old Ithaca 37 in 16 gauge.

Question for the experts; Has anyone hunted the dunes at Sandy neck beach? Haven’t hunted there in over 25 years and remember it being a interesting hunt. We had a beagle but I would be hunting without a dog now.

I’ve not hunted rabbits in many years, been doing upland game and would like to extend my season in the woods. How are the WMA for rabbits?

By the way shotgun is the way to go. I’ll probably use a nice old Ithaca 37 in 16 gauge.

I hunt SNK for pheasant (usually with friends who have dogs) but never rabbit. I’m trying to think if I’ve ever even seen a rabbit out there. Maybe.
I get my ORV sticker there every year (I stopped buying Dennis stickers once Chapin was pretty much closed all the time) and for pheasant hunting we just drive out and park at one of the trail heads.

I went out this morning to give rabbit hunting a shot. I brought an air rifle because the town I was hunting has a no discharge bylaw. I bumped 4, couldn't even get a shot off those f****** are fast. I will try it again. But we'll have to stay put and wait for something to come in. Or try a place where I can use A shotgun.

Depends on how your hunting them.

If your going to sit out on a field edge or rabbit habitat at sunup take the 22. They do stay out and feed for an hour or two after sunrise and you can snipe them as they move around. Just sit still and quiet with your rifle.

If your going to push through thickets and flush them the rifle is useless. Take the 12 gauge. Ic choke and high brass 4 or 5 shot. They are f***ing fast when you bust one out of cover......have the gun ready all the time.....and for God sake.....SHOOT. I've taken many guys out for rabbit that literally watch them run away or "wait for it to get into an opening"....if the rabbit runs into cover keep shooting where they went into. High brass loads will get through brush surprisingly well. Basically if he's still moving your still shooting.

I hunt thickets with a shotgun as my preferred method. Got a few of them the last couple weekends. Even got my brother his first game hunting 2 Sunday's ago.....a nice cottontail that we flushed out for him.

As far as your "bite down on a pellet" concern.....I've been hunting and eating snow shoe hare and rabbit for many years......never bit down on a pellet. Rabbits are very thin skinned and lightly built creatures. The pellets don't tend to stay in the meat. When you clean the meat feel around any pellet holes for the rare occurrence one is still in there and dig it out. This is rare to find them anyway.
I echo everything Whacko said.

Last edited:
I went out this morning to give rabbit hunting a shot. I brought an air rifle because the town I was hunting has a no discharge bylaw. I bumped 4, couldn't even get a shot off those f****** are fast. I will try it again. But we'll have to stay put and wait for something to come in. Or try a place where I can use A shotgun.
1) Try calling them in. (Doe in heat)
2) Dress up in a carrot suit.

Patrick M is my hero! I get the occasional when grouse hunting. Very impressive display!
I can’t take credit for all of them I was with 3 other guys but we almost shot our limit for the day. That was my pooch that drove them around the woods along with a few others. My favorite hunting hare up in Maine .

If you're going to stalk and bump bunnies with anything other than a scattergun, you've got to be at the ready and Johnny friggin' Lightning with your shots. It's doable but you've got to know what lead you need to take and chances are you're not going to get a clean, quick kill shot. Personally I like to just sit and wait with the scoped .22 for rabbit, rather than stalking/kicking brush with the 12 gauge. When they don't know you're there they do a lot of sitting still and you can usually take your sweet time with a perfect shot (in the eye). ;)

(ETA: Thought I already posted this pic in this thread but I guess not. Shot last week)

WABBIT.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom