.22 recommendations

I have a TX-22 but if the OP is in Mass I'd recommend the Mark IV. The TX-22 really shines with its 16 round magazine that can be turned into a 19 round magazine with a +3 base plate and its threaded barrel for a suppressor. Neither of those features are of much use if you can't have them or use them so go with the Mark IV.

valid but even without the suppressor and magazine capacity it’s a great option. Those things just make it better. Better trigger imo

I got the S&W Victory as a 22 plinker/new shooter trainer. At the price point of $325, can't really beat it. I would've looked more at the Ruger MKIV, but the ones on "The List" were the $500 target and $700 Hunter models, and I didn't want to go chasing down a dealer who'd get me the cheaper basic model.

however, FWIW, I did have to send it back immediately to S&W for service as the safety would pop on after every shot.. Got it back in about 3 weeks.. been fine since.

If you have a 1911 get an Advantage Arms .22LR target conversion kit.

They have Glock conversions, too, but I have no experience w/ them.

If you have a 1911 get an Advantage Arms .22LR target conversion kit.

They have Glock conversions, too, but I have no experience w/ them.

I have a target style .22 conversion on my Les Baer at this moment. It runs flawlessly.

I've owned multiple Glock .22 conversions and none have been reliable enough to use as practice for anything other than malfunction drills.
I just picked up a G44. I haven't really shot it much. (just 2 mags for function) but at a bit more than $325, it doesn't cost more than a conversion kit.

Great time to pick up a Ruger MkI, MKII or MKIII for cheap.
I don't get all the fuss about putting one back together.
I mean seriously, a two minute Youtube video and your done.
I guess that it's because they were designed when men were men.
Anyone with half a brain can figure out how todissassemble and reassemble without hassle if they bother to learn. I can disassemble in about a minute and reassemble in about 2 minutes. If the gun is new, I might need a rubber mallet. but with 1500 rounds down the pipe, its fine.
In the 23rd century, intelligence will be measured with the Krell IQ machine.

Until then, we just test people with a Ruger Mark detail strip.

If you have a Mk3 and weren't properly coached to replace the mag safety with a bushing, (it not only disables the mag safety, it allows mags to drop free) then you need to insert a mag to move hammer forward and then remove the mag.
Bah, you don't have to do any of that "tip it back and forth" nonsense -
as long as you learn how the giblets operate,
you can tickle them with a thin screwdriver or paper opener.

And at least for reassembly, there's no need to make a Ford Adjustment
to get the frame hooked onto the receiver. Just place the muzzle on a firm
surface that won't damage the crown and put your weight onto it.
Clean kitchen linoleum works fine.

In the 23rd century, intelligence will be measured with the Krell IQ machine.

Until then, we just test people with a Ruger Mark detail strip.

Bah, you don't have to do any of that "tip it back and forth" nonsense -
as long as you learn how the giblets operate,
you can tickle them with a thin screwdriver or paper opener.

And at least for reassembly, there's no need to make a Ford Adjustment
to get the frame hooked onto the receiver. Just place the muzzle on a firm
surface that won't damage the crown and put your weight onto it.
Clean kitchen linoleum works fine.

Of course you don't. But its easier and faster than poking inside to "release" the hammer. Either way, whatever works best for you. As long as the hammer is back to insert the bolt and down to install the mainspring, it doesn't really matter how you get it done.

As long as the hammer is back to insert the bolt and down to install the mainspring, it doesn't really matter how you get it done.
If using an (empty) magazine to deactivate the mag safety
so you can pull the trigger to drop the hammer,
just RTFM enough to remove the mag
before trying to get the receiver off the frame.
Because they ain't coming apart
if the mag is still sticking up into the receiver [angry]

I knwo nothing of what you speak. Nobody should own a Ruger Mk with a magazine safety. The bushing replacement is too cheap and easy to install and has too many benefits to ever suffer with the mag safety. It even makes the mag drop free.
Q1: Would you restore the mag safety function before selling it on the used market?
Q2: If so, would you include the bushing with pistol?

No I would not restore the mag safety before selling.
No need to include the bushing. its in the gun.

Before you scold me for exposing myself to liability, do realize. I understand the minuscule risk. This modification simply makes the Mk 3 and above function like the previous 40 years of Ruger Mk pistols.

For what its worth, I also remove the loaded chamber indicators.

But then again, this is all a moot point. I don't ever sell my Ruger Mk pistols. I got my first one in 1983 for my 16th birthday and haven't stopped accumulating them. Ha.

No I would not restore the mag safety before selling.
No need to include the bushing. its in the gun.
(Oopsie, forgive me; I see you see what I'm getting at).

Before you scold me for exposing myself to liability, do realize. I understand the minuscule risk.
Nah, I wasn't actually winding up to do that.

For what its worth, I also remove the loaded chamber indicators out-of-battery detonation pressure reliefs.
(I can't find the foto on the Intarwebs, but) FTFY.

valid but even without the suppressor and magazine capacity it’s a great option. Those things just make it better. Better trigger imo

Out of the box the TX22 trigger is better without a doubt. I'm not sure what they were thinking with the Mark IV stock trigger. The Volquartsen accurizing kit greatly improves the trigger and eliminates the annoying magazine disconnect. Of course there is a big price difference between an out of the box TX22 and a Mark IV+Volquartsen parts. My recommendation is to buy both!

Out of the box the TX22 trigger is better without a doubt. I'm not sure what they were thinking with the Mark IV stock trigger. The Volquartsen accurizing kit greatly improves the trigger and eliminates the annoying magazine disconnect. Of course there is a big price difference between an out of the box TX22 and a Mark IV+Volquartsen parts. My recommendation is to buy both!

definitely a fan of both. The full VQ accurization with TK victory trigger is in my shopping cart. Just haven’t pulled the trigger yet.

One other point for what its worth.

If you don't plan to put an aftermarket trigger in your Ruger Mk. You are better off with a Browning Buckmark.

The Buckmark is not functionally superior or inferior to a Ruger Mk. However, it is a much nicer gun. It feels nicer, it looks nicer. Its just nicer.
If pride of ownership matters, then the Buckmark is clearly superior. (I have 2 of those. I'm kind of a .22 junkie)

There is one documented way to improve a Buckmark trigger that has until recently only been a DIY thing. The "spring flip". Fortunately Tandem Cross has now made a product that achieves the same thing. Though its not free, its a properly engineered drop in part. I don't have any experience with it. But it looks interesting and everytyiing else they make is top notch.

definitely a fan of both. The full VQ accurization with TK victory trigger is in my shopping cart. Just haven’t pulled the trigger yet.

Definitely invest in the Volquartsen/ Tandemkross parts. Here is mine. I also have a spare Mark IV target upper that I got from Volquartsen's clearance section when I want to shoot with iron sights.

Attachments

• IMG_3742.jpg
    IMG_3742.jpg
    557.5 KB · Views: 10
Definitely invest in the Volquartsen/ Tandemkross parts. Here is mine. I also have a spare Mark IV target upper that I got from Volquartsen's clearance section when I want to shoot with iron sights.

Did you find that the TandemKross trigger overtravel screw protruded from the face of the trigger a bit? I only ask because it looks like it does, and mine did too.

My trigger kit is an early one from about 2014. I believe they include a long and short screw in the kit now.

Did you find that the TandemKross trigger overtravel screw protruded from the face of the trigger a bit? I only ask because it looks like it does, and mine did too.

My trigger kit is an early one from about 2014. I believe they include a long and short screw in the kit now.

My trigger is from the Volquartsen accurizing kit. I considered the Tandemkross trigger but decided I wanted curved trigger instead of a flat trigger. The screw does protrude a bit as you can see in the picture but it doesn't affect anything.

The Wrangler is a great value.

Often a gun company will come out with a value priced version of a gun. And its 20% less money with noticeably less quality.

In the case of the Wrangler they cut the MSRP from $699 to $249!!!

With no significant reduction in quality. The machining looks good enough. The only real functional reduction is the fixed vs adjustable sights.
Of course the Cerakote finish means they don't have to polish or machine to as nice a surface finish. But Cerakote isn't really bad, just different.

I
I just picked up a G44. I haven't really shot it much. (just 2 mags for function) but at a bit more than $325, it doesn't cost more than a conversion kit.
Did you shoot it more since Aug? I saw some videos showing it firing out of the battery- how was yours?

The Wrangler is a great value.

Often a gun company will come out with a value priced version of a gun. And its 20% less money with noticeably less quality.

In the case of the Wrangler they cut the MSRP from $699 to $249!!!

With no significant reduction in quality. The machining looks good enough. The only real functional reduction is the fixed vs adjustable sights.
Of course the Cerakote finish means they don't have to polish or machine to as nice a surface finish. But Cerakote isn't really bad, just different.
Cerakoted? Is it a pot metal pistol like the rough riders?

How do some of the old school 22 hunting and target pistols (Colt Woodsman, High Standards) compare to their modern counterparts from Ruger, for example?

How do some of the old school 22 hunting and target pistols (Colt Woodsman, High Standards) compare to their modern counterparts from Ruger, for example?
i have a SW model 41 from the early 70s . i shoot that better than any other 22 pistol i have owned or shot.
My buddy has his dads hi standard that thing shoots great especially with better ammo
My feeling is the manufacturing was "better" back then. Well at least more skilled people touching it along the production process leading to a better product.?

colt woodsman with iron sights. go old school
Or go really old school with an S&W 617. Ten shots of pure enjoyment. If you have a S&W 686 it is almost an exact duplicate:

686-617.jpg

Without looking at the cylinder flutes, guess which one is the 617 and which is the 686. It’s perfect for cheap practice in place of the 686.

Or go really old school with an S&W 617. Ten shots of pure enjoyment. If you have a S&W 686 it is almost an exact duplicate:

View attachment 439348

Without looking at the cylinder flutes, guess which one is the 617 and which is the 686. It’s perfect for cheap practice in place of the 686.
so, pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew? THAT is a lot of PEW!

Back
Top Bottom