.22 recommendations

I’m looking to buy a .22 pistol and was looking for recommendations. I don’t need it for competition or anything just some plinking but would like something that easy to breakdown. Thoughts on a ruger markIV.
thanks

I stayed away from the Ruger Mark 1-3 series because I endured cleaning it once and I was spoiled by Sigs. That said the new Mark 4 is easier to clean than almost any gun on the market. It truly is a completely different firearm now and a joy to shoot, I have the hunter model but I think you’ll love any new Mark 4 you buy.

TL : DR Ruger replaced a square-wheel dump truck with a Mustang when they introduced the new mark 4.

I think the Ruger Mark IV is a great pick, the earlier ones are a pain in the ass to take down and even more so the put together but great and reliable shooters otherwise, I have an old Mark II with a 10” barrel that is a nail driver ever after many thousands of rounds... and being cleaned mostly by liberal use of gun scrub because I’m not a masochist...

+1 for the Mark IV. I've had mine for almost three years and love it! Yes, easy to clean too. I upgraded the grips to Hogue grips and make it feel so much better. I added HiViz fiber optic sight too. I could upgrade the trigger, but I'm not going to bother. There were a few jams within the first 500 rounds, but now I'm probably at 3k-4k rounds and barely have jams.

The only complaint if it counts is that new shooters will say it's too heavy and get fatigued after a while. The weight makes it easier to shoot though. I'd also recommend the SR22 or G44 if you're not sold on the Mark IV.20191011_195741.jpg

For pure simple cleaning, revolver.
I dont understand the ruger Mk series lament for cleaning. You really dont need to clean it to often.
Dont flood them with lube. They will go thousands of rounds with out needing to tear it down to clean it. Wipe it off and the lightest coat of oil to prevent rust.
Anyhow even for plinking fun a nice accurate pistol in 22cal is still better than one that is not.
My vote is older SW 41, or a 1911 with 22lr kit.
i like steel/ wood and some weight to my hand guns.

You have a fundamental decision to make.

Do you want a "duty" style handgun that will also be good to practice defensive shooting. (Glock 44, Ruger SR22, etc)

Or an informal target gun. That will be a better platform for practicing marksmanship. (Ruger Mk4, Browning Buckmark)

IMHO I'd get a Mk4. Get something with reasonably long bbl, 3+ inches and adjustable sights.
Whether its a true Mk4 or a 22/45 is your choice. It doesn't really matter. I have both and enjoy them both.

One last thing. DO NOT EVER EVER GET A SIG MOSQUITO. Most don't run. I had one that ran flawlessly. It shot patterns like a shotgun, not groups. I originally got it to use for students when I do classes. But never used it becaus eit was so inaccurate that I couldn't tell if a flyer was the student's fault or the gun's fault.

If you get a Mk4. Budget another ~$100 for a trigger kit from either Volquhartsen, Power Custom, or Tandem Cross. I have all 3 and all are great. I'd give my business to Tandem Cross. I met them at shot show 5 years ago. Its a small business and they are nice people.

Also, be sure to buy the bushing to remove the magazine safety. Not only does it remove the mag safety, but it allows mags to drop free much more easily.

Last edited:
If it's for plinking......Ruger single 10.....talk about easy to break down? Pull out the take down pin and the cylinder comes out. It's the easiest gun you'll ever clean. And it's a great fun plinker and accurate.

My
I’m looking to buy a .22 pistol and was looking for recommendations. I don’t need it for competition or anything just some plinking but would like something that easy to breakdown. Thoughts on a ruger markIV.
thanks
My father has a stainless Ruger Single-Six .22 revolver with 7.5" barrel. I also has an extra cylinder for .22 magnum. Very accurate and reliable. It has basic all become the family handgun and my wife and I use it when we visit my folks in Alabama. Trust me, you will be well-served with a .22 Single-Six!

If for plinking fun, my vote goes for the Browning Buckmark Hunter. I have a bunch of fun at the range with mine, and it hasn’t met ammo it doesn’t like yet.

I am interested in both the MkIV and Glock 44 though, and may pick up one of the two soon, if possible.

Recently picked up a Ruger Mark IV 22/45 and threw on a Holosun 407Cv2 and have absolutely no complaints. Fires every time, drives tacks, and fun to shoot. It’s also stupid easy to take apart, though cleaning takes a moment to get into all the nooks and crannies.

Attachments

• 91342042-5BE8-4E03-8CBB-A8052BC9B75A.jpeg
    91342042-5BE8-4E03-8CBB-A8052BC9B75A.jpeg
    408.5 KB · Views: 21
If for plinking fun, my vote goes for the Browning Buckmark Hunter. I have a bunch of fun at the range with mine, and it hasn’t met ammo it doesn’t like yet.

I am interested in both the MkIV and Glock 44 though, and may pick up one of the two soon, if possible.
If you're near Worcester at all you're more than welcome to try my G44. I love it so far.

Didn’t we just do this? [rofl]

mark IV excellent as well as many others.

I’m still recommending the Taurus TX-22 for anyone looking for a great option.

Have you shot the Glock slowly for accuracy? I'm curious how it does.

I can't say that I have actually taken the time to shoot it for accuracy. I feel like I get hits where I expect when I'm working IDPA targets but I've not tested it for accuracy.

My

My father has a stainless Ruger Single-Six .22 revolver with 7.5" barrel. I also has an extra cylinder for .22 magnum. Very accurate and reliable. It has basic all become the family handgun and my wife and I use it when we visit my folks in Alabama. Trust me, you will be well-served with a .22 Single-Six!
Love mine, single action also makes you think about every shot.

Can’t go wrong w the Mark IV or the GP100 if you’re want a revolver. SR22 is a little light IMO, feels like a cheap toy (I have one) - not at all a realistic duty style training gun.

Last edited:
For pure simple cleaning, revolver.
I dont understand the ruger Mk series lament for cleaning. You really dont need to clean it to often.
Dont flood them with lube. They will go thousands of rounds with out needing to tear it down to clean it. Wipe it off and the lightest coat of oil to prevent rust.
Anyhow even for plinking fun a nice accurate pistol in 22cal is still better than one that is not.
My vote is older SW 41, or a 1911 with 22lr kit.
i like steel/ wood and some weight to my hand guns.

All it takes is trying to put it back together once and not being able to. And if you don’t do it regularly you’ll never get the hang of it. There’s a reason why it’s criticized by just about everyone and that the main selling point on the new model is ease of assembly.

But if you want a gun you can shoot for a while and never clean because it’s too much of a headache to put back together, then I guess the M III is fine.

Back
Top Bottom