.22 recommendations

Everyone's taste is guns is different. Buy whatever is in your price range, fits your hand, and is in front of you at your local FFL. SR22's are for people with child size hands ;)

+1 for the Mark IV. I've had mine for almost three years and love it! Yes, easy to clean too. I upgraded the grips to Hogue grips and make it feel so much better. I added HiViz fiber optic sight too. I could upgrade the trigger, but I'm not going to bother. There were a few jams within the first 500 rounds, but now I'm probably at 3k-4k rounds and barely have jams.

The only complaint if it counts is that new shooters will say it's too heavy and get fatigued after a while. The weight makes it easier to shoot though. I'd also recommend the SR22 or G44 if you're not sold on the Mark IV.View attachment 377360

SR22 is a little picky about ammo at times. But otherwise a fun and good shooter for it's size. Fits well into both small and larger hands, easy to carry.

+1 for the Ruger Mark series. I also have a Mark iii, but found its not as much of a PITA as some say to assemble \ disassemble for cleaning. Watch some YouTube videos and pay careful attention to the order of operations and orientation. No harder than a 1911.

I like my SR22 but....Mine is fussy about the ammo that it wants. Higher grade 22 makes it happy and I end up keeping the lower grade 22 for my Henry rifle.
22lr and alot of guns will do better with better ammo.
If Im trying to punch small holes in a small place I use SK standard plus at minimum. Wolf match extra is good stuff also. Lapua X , and tenex of course are outstanding ammo , some guns dont like it much . Take a little time to see what your gun likes then buy as much as the same lot number as you can

My wife has a Ruger mark iii with the majestic takedown kit installed. As it turns out it really doesn't need to be taken apart much/ever. Its the shorter 4-3/4" tapered barrel version and its a great shooter, not fussy about ammo and accurate enough for what we do with it. If anyone is feeling spendy the Smith & Wesson k-17 is phenomenal. I find i go through way less ammo too as a bonus right now

Or go really old school with an S&W 617. Ten shots of pure enjoyment. If you have a S&W 686 it is almost an exact duplicate:

View attachment 439348

Without looking at the cylinder flutes, guess which one is the 617 and which is the 686. It’s perfect for cheap practice in place of the 686.

The price is almost an exact match as well. That’s the only thing that’s kept me away.

I have some Ruger MK-IIIs, because I like them and that's what was available when I was buying my first guns. I figured out how to take them apart and put them back together, & once I knew the method (hold the gun upside down and hop up and down on one leg while jiggling the magazine thing that goes up), it was not that big of a deal.

It's moot anyway....the MK-III can be just thrown in the dishwasher with your supper plates, and washed there. Just make sure the magazine's out, and the slide is locked open. Dry with a hairdryer. [laugh]

That said, the .22 pistols and revolvers by Ruger or S&W mentioned here prior, are lots of fun! I'd buy a MK-IV if I didn't already have a couple III's.

My Ruger SR22 was pretty finicky with ammo, I got pissed and sent it back to Ruger and when it came back - it will fire anything. I do find that Federal Automatch is shitty, more fail-to-fire than any other brand. That RMA was done in late 2019

CCI mini-mags, AR and std velocity work great - as do Rem Golden Bullets and Aguila (any flavor). I do tend to only run the copper washed bullets through the pistol, dont think that matters for fire/feeding - but it seems less dirty

It is only a guess, but if the more recent production runs of the Ruger SR22 have whatever fix they applied to mine (I still have the paper with the note somewhere) - the ammo sensitivity issue may be less of an issue

If they will start selling .22lr at $0.50cpr then the whole point of using it will dissipate into the thin air.
it looks so far, no matter what caliber the lowest price per round stadily creeps to 60c minimum.

ammoseek this morning does not show _any_ 9mm at lower than 70c. nowhere.

Taurus just took the tx22 to anutha level 😂

As if It was in doubt.

Last edited:
Taurus just the tx22 to anutha level 😂

As if It was in doubt.
Another vote for the Taurus! Everyone that I've let shoot mine has been blown away. "this feels great in my hands!" "Holy crap the trigger is amazing!" "You only paid $350 for this!?"

And I know you got yours well under $300 which is awesome. I thought I got a decent deal considering the market.

Thats pretty amazing I had 15k rounds of everything through mine before I sold it

I guess maybe it needs to go back to Ruger maybe? The only thing I can say for certain is that I can put almost anything in the Henry and it will shoot it, but the ruger is fussy. If it isn't the higher end .22 ammo it will jam consistently.

I guess maybe it needs to go back to Ruger maybe? The only thing I can say for certain is that I can put almost anything in the Henry and it will shoot it, but the ruger is fussy. If it isn't the higher end .22 ammo it will jam consistently.
Yeah thats odd... I've had 2 of them a long slide and a regular one and both ate everything.

They're are pretty well known for being super reliable I'd send it back

Yeah thats odd... I've had 2 of them a long slide and a regular one and both ate everything.

They're are pretty well known for being super reliable I'd send it back

What I get with cheap ammo is that the spent shell doesn't eject. So when I go to the range I bring along a .22 cleaning rod and I have to use it to push the stuck shell out. They always come out pretty easily I've never had one get stuck in the barrel. If I use more expensive ammo then it works flawlessly every time. So I have been fixing the problem by using the more expensive ammo with the SR22 and keep the bulk purchased cheaper stuff for the Henry which to me would probably still work if it were loaded with chewing gum lol.

+1 for the Ruger Mark series. I also have a Mark iii, but found its not as much of a PITA as some say to assemble \ disassemble for cleaning. Watch some YouTube videos and pay careful attention to the order of operations and orientation. No harder than a 1911.
Surf around this Web Shrine (that's the 22/45 page, but there are more),
and you will be the guru on top of the mountain.

People will cross oceans to ask you how they can reassemble their pistols.

I have some Ruger MK-IIIs, because I like them and that's what was available when I was buying my first guns. I figured out how to take them apart and put them back together, & once I knew the method (hold the gun upside down and hop up and down on one leg while jiggling the magazine thing that goes up), it was not that big of a deal.
I disavow all inertia-based strip/reassembly instructions.

Understand how the tidbits work together, and you can use
a long thin object like a trade show gimme screwdriver
and a bright light to move the hammer or dingus
over to where it belongs, to then proceed to the next step of reassembly.

Where does this Zen-like "understanding" come from?
Teh Web Shrine!

Last edited:
Surf around this Web Shrine (that's the 22/45 page, but there are more),
and you will be the guru on top of the mountain.

People will cross oceans to ask you how they can reassemble their pistols.

I disavow all inertia-based strip/reassembly instructions.

Understand how the tidbits work together, and you can use
a long thin object like a trade show gimme screwdriver
and a bright light to move the hammer or dangly-thing
over to where it belongs, to then proceed to the next step of reassembly.

Where does this Zen-like "understanding" come from?
Teh Web Shrine!
I think what happens is the directions tell you to hold it in your left hand, you righties just cant comprehend, i kid.
The mkiii has a certain dick dance to get it right.
Follow it word for word and it goes easy

What I get with cheap ammo is that the spent shell doesn't eject. So when I go to the range I bring along a .22 cleaning rod and I have to use it to push the stuck shell out. They always come out pretty easily I've never had one get stuck in the barrel. If I use more expensive ammo then it works flawlessly every time. So I have been fixing the problem by using the more expensive ammo with the SR22 and keep the bulk purchased cheaper stuff for the Henry which to me would probably still work if it were loaded with chewing gum lol.
The cheap shell probably had a shitting rim combined with a jot so good extractor.
The better ammo will have more correct size rim and more consistent rim thickness and roundness
I have had egged shaped case heads
Also some tight match chambers will puke on in consistent cheep ammo

That is one advantage to any of the .22 rimfire revolvers. They can eat anything from .22 shorts on up. Get a Single Six Convertible and go all the way up to .22 WMR.

Blazer .22 ammo is “waxy” and gave a ton away a couple years ago
Another issue with .22 guns I bet.
Not really, the wax serves a purpose. If you want to see excessive wax or oil hunt down some old Junoir ammo out of Russian from the 80s stuff came dripping off.......
Tenex has a good amount of "wax" as do many 22s . I say it many times if your semi rifle or handgun cant go a few thousand rounds with out issues then theres something going on.
More often its the gun or operator error.
98% of the semi 22 shooters i see with malfunctions generally fall into 2 catagories.
1. Way over lubed , the firearm not the ammo.
Most 22s do not need "lube" but just enough oil or CLP to prevent rust.
2. Those that have not cleaned thier shit since grandpa bought it for your dads 10th birthday.

clean your gun well, give it a very light oil and see what happens.
Some ammo does suck. Especially the really cheap bulk stuff. Its in consistency in case length,rim thickness, primer compound and such
then the bullets. Heck i have seen different bullet profiles in the same box of some cheap stuff.

Find ammo that works and buy as much as you can.

Back
Top Bottom