• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.22 rimfire optic

dezignguy

NES Member
I’m looking for a decent optic to run on one of my .22 cal rifles. I was hoping to get some advice on what would be the biggest bang for the buck. I’ll probably be putting it on my 10/22 . I’m sick of messing around with cheap scopes . Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Huge fan of the swift premier. I also have 2 muellers that are comparable. I won’t put anything without adjustable parallax. Are you target shooting? Hunting? Plinking? These will handle it and very nice glass for sub $200. Cheaper options that are ok BSA sweet 22 and hawke. Of course leupold is a great option but you pay.
FA896243-4290-4BED-8ACF-D7862E117BC9.jpeg F8EC58E5-EDF8-41D7-BC00-934AF28BB893.jpeg 2C3972A0-C1C3-4A9D-9C27-2CAC7AD379D2.jpeg

I’m looking for a decent optic to run on one of my .22 cal rifles. I was hoping to get some advice on what would be the biggest bang for the buck. I’ll probably be putting it on my 10/22 . I’m sick of messing around with cheap scopes . Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
I would start with what your level of cheap ends.
What your looking to do or end use.

are you looking for a zero and forget it or do you think you will be ranging with your

i have a few Mueller scopes: for the sub $300 range they are decent.
I tend to look at older model scopes say 2018 vintage today for NOS

Midway has been crushing scope deals IMHO lately

look at other outlets for scopes I found a few good deals at camera store outlets and such.

its really hard to not just leupold -
I have a slightly older version of the
VX freedom 3x9x40 inside 100 uards I think its a solid scope for 22lr shooting
Good balance between “hinting/plinking/target” scope

I also have a few cheap scopes that have proven OK
Bushnell 3x7x32 AR/22 scope
Bushnell had a 30% cash back promotion
I found the AR22 scopes on sale total price for 2 came to around $70 each they where pretty pricey when inteoduced for a cheap scope.
Its been on top of my 22lr upper
Good points
Longer than usual eye relief, decent glass, so far pretty rugged and holding zero.

love my sightron 8x32x56 even on a 22
200-300 yards its making 22 really fun

Last edited:
I put on of these on my 10/22 takedown and have been happy with it. Good quality for the price and doesn’t overwhelm the gun the way some scopes do.

Amazon product ASIN B005UGIMNQView: https://www.amazon.com/UTG-3-9X32-BugBuster-Scope-Mil-dot/dp/B005UGIMNQ

I use this one on my Savage Mark II FV bolt action:

Amazon product ASIN B001DX7Q46View: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DX7Q46/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Another good bang for the buck.

I don’t own any high end .22 target rifles, so I don’t spend too much on their optics.

I put on of these on my 10/22 takedown and have been happy with it. Good quality for the price and doesn’t overwhelm the gun the way some scopes do.

Amazon product ASIN B005UGIMNQView: https://www.amazon.com/UTG-3-9X32-BugBuster-Scope-Mil-dot/dp/B005UGIMNQ

I use this one on my Savage Mark II FV bolt action:

Amazon product ASIN B001DX7Q46View: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DX7Q46/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Another good bang for the buck.

I don’t own any high end .22 target rifles, so I don’t spend too much on their optics.
I have some UTGs on my pellet guns , cheap for sure but surprisingly “good” for the money.

i will add this to my list.
I have some cheap scopes but all of them are held on with better rings and mounts.
Luepold is about “cheap” as I go for rings
Its actually crazy how many scopes will “improve” mounted with good rings.

Midway is offering a a promotion on Vortex Crossfire scopes good for a free $40 gift certificate that can be redeemed as soon as the order goes through.

I have some UTGs on my pellet guns , cheap for sure but surprisingly “good” for the money.

i will add this to my list.
I have some cheap scopes but all of them are held on with better rings and mounts.
Luepold is about “cheap” as I go for rings
Its actually crazy how many scopes will “improve” mounted with good rings.
Yes, that’s a good point. The mount on the UTG seems adequate, but the rings that came with the Konus were junk. I did replace them Luepold rings.

90% target /plinking
I was hoping to keep it under $200
Thank you for all the input and info , very helpful !

I've had a Weaver Marksman 1"-4x on my 10/22 for just about 40 years now. Solid, reliable scope when it was new and still dead on today. Sadly, no longer made, but you still come across them from time to time..

90% target /plinking
@ $200 or less your best bet is find discounted new old stock of models that were say $400 2 years ago they can often be well discounted.

$200 new right now can be a crap shoot.

@ $200 or less your best bet is find discounted new old stock of models that were say $400 2 years ago they can often be well discounted.

$200 new right now can be a crap shoot.

will not be disappointed.

90% target /plinking
I run several Hawke brand scopes on my pellet rifles and like them for their price point , most are at $200 range.
Sightron has a few $200 rimfire options.
Athlon scopes seem to be very good for that $200-$400 range. I have been eye balling few Athlons to up grade some of my older "cheap" scopes.
Honeslty though for general plinking a 3x9 is decent and that $300 leupold is tough to beat.

I like the vortex glass in that price range but the 100 yard parallax is not great for .22.
this is something often over looked.
But, most 22s and average ammo and skill set will induce more error than parallax
If your worried about parallax turn down your magnification or buy a scope with a adjustable parallax , cheaper scopes give up something the more features they have. The first quality to go is the glass.
Sometimes just picking up a few 4x or 6x scopes at your local gun shop or show can be a good bye. Some older weavers and alot of the Japan made optics of years past are very good buys.

Last edited:
I have a Vortex Crossfire II 2-7x32 Rimfire Riflescope (CF2-31001R) that I like a lot.

They make a 2-7x rimfire model with parallax set fo 50 yards. Haven’t tried it, but at $130 with $40 back it seems worth a look.

I agree with the Vortex scope. 130 for the scope, then use the 40 dollar certificate towards some scope rings.

this is something often over looked.
But, most 22s and average ammo and skill set will induce more error than parallax
If your worried about parallax turn down your magnification or buy a scope with a adjustable parallax , cheaper scopes give up something the more features they have. The first quality to go is the glass.
Sometimes just picking up a few 4x or 6x scopes at your local gun shop or show can be a good bye. Some older weavers and alot of the Japan made optics of years past are very good buys.
Like I said. I won’t buy a scope without it. Returned a Nikon I got a great deal on because I couldn’t see a clear target at most distances. Might just be my eyes

Like I said. I won’t buy a scope without it. Returned a Nikon I got a great deal on because I couldn’t see a clear target at most distances. Might just be my eyes
or crappy glass, resolution and clarity goes quick on cheap scopes especially with higher magX

Attachments

• D8E2DE03-C3D3-494F-BC06-B51B698060E3.jpeg
    D8E2DE03-C3D3-494F-BC06-B51B698060E3.jpeg
    473 KB · Views: 18
  • 9B70BC59-6965-4A16-AB07-D486F54D399F.png
    9B70BC59-6965-4A16-AB07-D486F54D399F.png
    462.7 KB · Views: 18
  • F8D37CC5-4A1C-4557-96A0-9BB033D8225C.png
    F8D37CC5-4A1C-4557-96A0-9BB033D8225C.png
    387.3 KB · Views: 18
The Mueller is way too big and heavy for a .22 LR, I would ignore post #2. I had one on a bolt action and the 10/22 Charger pistol and had to take it off both. I replaced it on the bolt action with a Simmons 22 Mag scope for $40 and it worked as well as the Mueller while for the Charger a Nikon Prostaff replaced it as the Nikon scope has an etched reticle to compensate for drop at different distances.

The Mueller is now on a Henry Big Boy and it's a fine fit for that.

So, if you're looking for a scope for a 10/22, it's hard not to recommend the Nikon. The Simmons is cheap and I'm sure you want better, but mine worked well and it was very light. The only other .22 scope I know of that I was going to get before the Nikon was the Primary Arms fixed 6x w/ an ACSS reticle. I didn't like the idea of a fixed power 6, so the Nikon being adjustable won me over and there are two variants for the Prostaff a 3-9 or 4-12. For a 10/22 I see no reason not to go 4-12 power.

The Mueller is way too big and heavy for a .22 LR, I would ignore post #2. I had one on a bolt action and the 10/22 Charger pistol and had to take it off both. I replaced it on the bolt action with a Simmons 22 Mag scope for $40 and it worked as well as the Mueller while for the Charger a Nikon Prostaff replaced it as the Nikon scope has an etched reticle to compensate for drop at different distances.

The Mueller is now on a Henry Big Boy and it's a fine fit for that.

So, if you're looking for a scope for a 10/22, it's hard not to recommend the Nikon. The Simmons is cheap and I'm sure you want better, but mine worked well and it was very light. The only other .22 scope I know of that I was going to get before the Nikon was the Primary Arms fixed 6x w/ an ACSS reticle. I didn't like the idea of a fixed power 6, so the Nikon being adjustable won me over and there are two variants for the Prostaff a 3-9 or 4-12. For a 10/22 I see no reason not to go 4-12 power.
Which mueller ? The 8x32x44 is fine on top of a 10/22....depending on your use and expectations.
The 8x32x44 mueller is a very light scope for its size. Its also lacking in over all adjustment. Nothing 20 moa mount and burris signature rings cant fix if your trying to reach out with 22lr.

Growing up 4x scopes on 22lr was the shit.
Did not really need anything more. But a soup can was the primary target.
For me 22s are like this.
Inside 100 yards , plinking with a rifle and ammo thats around 2-4 moa capable a small light fixed mag scope is great . Get it zeroed and forget it.
the scope on my glenfied 25 is about 20 years old now. Zeroed it and its been doing what it should since then. Before that it had a bushnell banner 4x with actual hair (wire) for crosshairs! You could take off the eye bell and change the ret.

where cheap scopes fail is under $300 the glass really begins to deteriorate, the turrets are squishy and have lots of back lash and dead spots. Not all scopes but thats what happens.

Everyone has their tastes andI highly recommend getting behind as many scopes as you can before you buy.

heres the mueller 8x32x44 with sun shade on atop the 10/22. It lives on 24x as that is where the ret subtends , its 1/8 moa turrets make for some fine tuning but about as usless as can be out of 2moa+ rigs.
now for what I like to use this rig for im looking at FFP scopes now so I dont need to think if I change MagX

74B7F378-BBED-49A1-B279-3C4DCEE27318.jpeg

Last edited:
Which mueller ? The 8x32x44 is fine on top of a 10/22....depending on your use and expectations.
The 8x32x44 mueller is a very light scope for its size. Its also lacking in over all adjustment. Nothing 20 moa mount and burris signature rings cant fix if your trying to reach out with 22lr.

Growing up 4x scopes on 22lr was the shit.
Did not really need anything more. But a soup can was the primary target.
For me 22s are like this.
Inside 100 yards , plinking with a rifle and ammo thats around 2-4 moa capable a small light fixed mag scope is great . Get it zeroed and forget it.
the scope on my glenfied 25 is about 20 years old now. Zeroed it and its been doing what it should since then. Before that it had a bushnell banner 4x with actual hair (wire) for crosshairs! You could take off the eye bell and change the ret.

where cheap scopes fail is under $300 the glass really begins to deteriorate, the turrets are squishy and have lots of back lash and dead spots. Not all scopes but thats what happens.

Everyone has their tastes andI highly recommend getting behind as many scopes as you can before you buy.

heres the mueller 8x32x44 with sun shade on atop the 10/22. It lives on 24x as that is where the ret subtends , its 1/8 moa turrets make for some fine tuning but about as usless as can be out of 2moa+ rigs.
now for what I like to use this rig for im looking at FFP scopes now so I dont need to think if I change MagX
It was the APV 4.5-14x. Size was fine for the Marlin bolt gun, but not for the Charger. For a full size 10/22 it would be fine if weight wasn't a concern, but a 7 pound .22 doesn't interest me unless it's a bench rifle.

It was the APV 4.5-14x. Size was fine for the Marlin bolt gun, but not for the Charger. For a full size 10/22 it would be fine if weight wasn't a concern, but a 7 pound .22 doesn't interest me unless it's a bench rifle.
Yeah moat scopes must seem big on a charger. You dont want to see what I have on the rascal.....i think its twisting the receiver!

i put nikon prostaffs on my 10/22's, a 3x9 on a 16" and a 4x12 on a 18". i tried a bunch of sub $200 .22 scopes and returned all of them, these worked for me. i actually got both under $100 ea. on on a close out sale from one of the stores we boycotted. i think bob's in danvas. they work better than i can shoot. no need really for a 500 dollar scope on a stock 10/22.

why are you guys putting full size optics on a rimfire. Better glass can be had when in a rimfire tube. Sorry but vortex optics are massively overrated. My choice is the Leupold FX-I 4x28 rimfire scope. Shop around can probably find better deal than this...

FFP is where its at.
Not that I don't have SECOND focal plane optics on some of my rifles, but if I knew then what I know now- all my optics would be first focal plane.

I fell in love with FFP with my Athlon 6-24x 50 30mm tube. Little overkill for your application, but great glass for the money 💰 👍.

Find what is right for your budget and application. Extra magnification helps you see the holes/hits at longer distance without a spotting scope 😉.

Amazon product ASIN B08V81947DView: https://www.amazon.com/Athlon-Optics-Illuminated-Hunting-Riflescope/dp/B08V81947D

why are you guys putting full size optics on a rimfire. Better glass can be had when in a rimfire tube. Sorry but vortex optics are massively overrated. My choice is the Leupold FX-I 4x28 rimfire scope. Shop around can probably find better deal than this...

trying to punch small groups at 200+ yards
I cant see the 1/2" swinger with out some good 16x magnification at 100 yards. I actually like 24x
Rather than aim at a 1" dot I can put the crosshairs on the bullet hole with 24X ?

This is why end use is important. For 10-50 yards plinking accuracy a 4 or 6 X scope is great.

Back
Top Bottom