.22 rimfire optic

FFP is where its at.
Not that I don't have SECOND focal plane optics on some of my rifles, but if I knew then what I know now- all my optics would be first focal plane.

I fell in love with FFP with my Athlon 6-24x 50 30mm tube. Little overkill for your application, but great glass for the money 💰 👍.

Find what is right for your budget and application. Extra magnification helps you see the holes/hits at longer distance without a spotting scope 😉.

Amazon product ASIN B08V81947DView: https://www.amazon.com/Athlon-Optics-Illuminated-Hunting-Riflescope/dp/B08V81947D
this depends , I do like the FFP for the ease of ranging and thinking about hold overs and such. My next scope is most likely going to be a FFP with zero stops.....I completely lost track of my zero over the summer. Would have been so much easier to crank it to stop and re dial.

trying to punch small groups at 200+ yards
I cant see the 1/2" swinger with out some good 16x magnification at 100 yards. I actually like 24x
Rather than aim at a 1" dot I can put the crosshairs on the bullet hole with 24X ?

This is why end use is important. For 10-50 yards plinking accuracy a 4 or 6 X scope is great.

Agree application determines equipment. i shoot a 6 inch plate at 200 yards with the 4x rimfire. i choose optical quality and FOV over magnification. However I don’t shoot groups on paper I shoot reactive targets from prone or standing position. I don’t shoot benchrest.

@RoterTeufel FFP is the trend, just like .40s&w and piston AR rifles. I would argue that fixed power is superior in nearly every situation particularly range estimation. FFP has some strongpoints but the tradeoffs are overlooked. I rarely use any variable mag optics and when I do they’re usually SFP for many reasons.

Agree application determines equipment. i shoot a 6 inch plate at 200 yards with the 4x rimfire. i choose optical quality and FOV over magnification. However I don’t shoot groups on paper I shoot reactive targets from prone or standing position. I don’t shoot benchrest.

@RoterTeufel FFP is the trend, just like .40s&w and piston AR rifles. I would argue that fixed power is superior in nearly every situation particularly range estimation. FFP has some strongpoints but the tradeoffs are overlooked. I rarely use any variable mag optics and when I do they’re usually SFP for many reasons.
For sure, been pointed out about the trade offs for any extras scopes do and the trade offs.
Its all what you like and what your happy with.
For a lot of people the glass in todays $300 scopes is pretty good vs say 10 years ago.

6" at 200 yards I would probably need more than 4x to see it! i struggle seeing a 13" bull of a SR at 200 yds .
When I can I like to shoot 200 yard with a old 513t with old redfield match sights.

Wayback when shooting them steel chickens was popular seems like everyone was googly eyed over the weaver T24 or 36 with the bigger dot.

Last edited:
Soup can? 4X was fine for head-shotting squirrels back in the day.
for squirrel or rats at the dump back in the day Iron sights where fine.
Im not that old but even in the 80s unless you had a really nice 22 and could afford match ammo a 4x scope was the shit to have on your 22.
Soup cans where great targets , you just kept shooting it until it was out of sight. Golfballs where fun also.

never really aimed for a head shot, its a tiny target and those sobs never really sit still.
Ahh reminisce, did you take a razor knife and make the X on your bullets so they would "fragment" , we alao took a 1/8" drill and drilled out our own hollow points. Because 22lr hollow points where at least .015¢ more IF you could find them.
The choices for 22lr ammunition , scopes and guns is so much better these days.

I thing alot of people have higher expectations for what your average 22lr ammo and platforms can deliver.
With out spending $15-$22 a box of 50
And most sub $500 rifles if your getting less than 2moa your doing well.
Most rifles and ammo in the low price points are 2-4 moa average. Some of than bulk shit...just be happy it goes bang.

I was eyeballing a Leupold VX-Freedom 1.5x4x20mm for rimfire. Little higher than your initial range at $229.99, but probably worth it.

Good size for a rimfire and I think the variable range is all the average person would need for this caliber. But I suppose it really depends on your goals. If you're pushing range to as far as a rimfire will hit, then I guess you'd want more magnification.

I’m looking for a decent optic to run on one of my .22 cal rifles. I was hoping to get some advice on what would be the biggest bang for the buck. I’ll probably be putting it on my 10/22 . I’m sick of messing around with cheap scopes . Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

90% target /plinking
I was hoping to keep it under $200
Thank you for all the input and info , very helpful !

Kind of contradicting comments.

Mueller makes great scopes for the money and they have a few under $200.

Rimfire scopes – Mueller Rifle Scopes

never really aimed for a head shot, its a tiny target and those sobs never really sit still.
Rats are stupid enough to wander around out in the open. However, for a squirrel peeking around a tree in the woods, a head shot is often the only shot they offer.

Rats are stupid enough to wander around out in the open. However, for a squirrel peeking around a tree in the woods, a head shot is often the only shot they offer.
I agree, i got dizzy chasing f***ing squirrels around and around!
its all what works in the end.
When eyes where young most of our rifles had williams peep sights of some sort on them. Remember always forgetting to change out the target aperture for the larger hunting aperture

You need to hunt the little bastards in pairs, one guy with a .22 rifle and a buddy with a .410 shotgun.
Yeah I was the 2nd in the group, my dad would say, that tree this tree , this way that way. We had better luck with 4 or 5 of us walking through with the air rifles looking for the red squirrels.

trying to punch small groups at 200+ yards
I cant see the 1/2" swinger with out some good 16x magnification at 100 yards. I actually like 24x
Rather than aim at a 1" dot I can put the crosshairs on the bullet hole with 24X ?

This is why end use is important. For 10-50 yards plinking accuracy a 4 or 6 X scope is great.
I honestly have no intentions of shooting at 200 yards with a rimfire. 100-125 yards is a much more realistic distance.

Back
Top Bottom