• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.22 semi auto recommendation follow up

So, I hit the range today with the Taurus TX22 and I had 40gr Mini Mags, Aguila, and Herters (Winchester) and 45 gr Federal. All ammo was coated. I fired slow and rapid. I ran each brand separately and then mixed all four brands in a few mag runs. I know the nay sayers don't want to hear this but out of the box I ran 144 rds. Gun ran perfect, yes PERFECT. slide locked back every time. Here's a target that I destroyed. I was also shooting at steel plates at 15 yds and hitting them 80 % of the time which is good for me. Broke it down and cleaned it. Here's some pics

Attachments

• IMG_1268.jpeg
    IMG_1268.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 145
  • IMG_1270.jpeg
    IMG_1270.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 145
  • IMG_1269.jpeg
    IMG_1269.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 90
  • IMG_1271.jpeg
    IMG_1271.jpeg
    482.6 KB · Views: 143
Glad it ran well for you. BUT, am I the only one that sees a ton of keyholing all over that target? Look at the two holes below the 7 on the left-hand side. Top one is fine, but the one below is squared off on the bottom with two parallel sides. Also just below the 8 on the left-hand side, you can see the square profile of the bottom of a projectile - classic profile of 22LR keyholing. Keep looking around and you'll see keyholes everywhere. Check your barrel for lead build-up.

So, I hit the range today with the Taurus TX22 and I had 40gr Mini Mags, Aguila, and Herters (Winchester) and 45 gr Federal. All ammo was coated. I fired slow and rapid. I ran each brand separately and then mixed all four brands in a few mag runs. I know the nay sayers don't want to hear this but out of the box I ran 144 rds. Gun ran perfect, yes PERFECT. slide locked back every time. Here's a target that I destroyed. I was also shooting at steel plates at 15 yds and hitting them 80 % of the time which is good for me. Broke it down and cleaned it. Here's some pics

My glock 44 averaged 4 malfunctions per magazine over the first 500 rounds. Have cleaned it twice. Tried 6 different varieties of ammo, none have cycled well. The best for the bunch at a 10% malfunction rate was thunderbolt and federal automatch.

I kinda wish I had just gotten a Taurus, but I am gonna give the glock one more thorough cleaning and a send-back before I sell it off.

Glad it ran well for you. BUT, am I the only one that sees a ton of keyholing all over that target? Look at the two holes below the 7 on the left-hand side. Top one is fine, but the one below is squared off on the bottom with two parallel sides. Also just below the 8 on the left-hand side, you can see the square profile of the bottom of a projectile - classic profile of 22LR keyholing. Keep looking around and you'll see keyholes everywhere. Check your barrel for lead build-up.
You know there was about 100 rds in that paper. 😂

Nice.

My Buckamark shot 1100 rounds of Golden Bullets, no problem. No cleaning. My hands were as black as the handgun.

I wanted to keep going, but even with 10 mags, reloading gets annoying very fast.

That is my benchmark from now on.

Not surprised. I put 10k rounds through my TX22 and I think I can count with both hands how many times it malfunctioned. Every time it did I attributed it to being dirty or ammo issue

Not surprised. I put 10k rounds through my TX22 and I think I can count with both hands how many times it malfunctioned. Every time it did I attributed it to being dirty or ammo issue
You didn't break it?

My Ruger mk iv has 1,000+ rds through it, and I can't remember a single issue. And it doesn't have this nasty word on it: Taurus
My Pardini was one of the best firing guns I ever owned.
When my shots were starting to spread out I knew it was time to think about cleaning it. If I waited for 2-3 matches it would absolutely FTF in a match. I rarely bothered with an alibi run unless it was in the first couple of shots. I hated the penalty of subtracting the better shots.
When I was running a HS Victor I was able to clear a round and take the next shot easy. The Pardini did not allow that from the design.
I never ran my 41 on the line other than for fun. My buddy insisted I buy it from him with a AimPoint for 600 bucks. Not a mark on it anywhere.

tx22-keyholing-due-to-bad-rifling.441033

Nice.

My Buckamark shot 1100 rounds of Golden Bullets, no problem. No cleaning. My hands were as black as the handgun.

I wanted to keep going, but even with 10 mags, reloading gets annoying very fast.

That is my benchmark from now on.

Try one of these:

It works well with a number of various single stack .22 mags. May as well get one of these also on the same order as it's short money. I keep it on my range badge lanyard as a just in case.

Try one of these:

It works well with a number of various single stack .22 mags. May as well get one of these also on the same order as it's short money. I keep it on my range badge lanyard as a just in case.

I own the McFadden ... piece of sh*t. Maybe it is the Buckmark mags, but loads them like crap, sometimes I get a round that goes in vertical and screws everything up. But I have seen people use them without any issues.

I use a tool similar to the TK tool you linked. @chris_1001 3D printed it.

Maybe, it works fine with my Rugers and S&W, I don't own a Buckmark. I did have to adjust the screw originally but after that, no problems.
I bought one, was a bit finicky. I use it on my mark IV.

But I prefer the printed ones I made. Even thought I made it for a mark IV mag, it works on broc’s buckmark mags.

That's not a flaw, it's a feature.
When the bullet keyholes, it transmits more energy into the target and makes a wound that bleeds more and is much harder to close up.
The Capt of the pistol team had an old 41 that key holed every shot. Over the years it had been looked at by more people and it just was the way it was.
If I had access to a gage pin set I would have checked the diameter of the bore.
He didn’t give a crap and was still a pretty damn good shooter.

My Pardini was one of the best firing guns I ever owned.
When my shots were starting to spread out I knew it was time to think about cleaning it. If I waited for 2-3 matches it would absolutely FTF in a match. I rarely bothered with an alibi run unless it was in the first couple of shots. I hated the penalty of subtracting the better shots.
When I was running a HS Victor I was able to clear a round and take the next shot easy. The Pardini did not allow that from the design.
I never ran my 41 on the line other than for fun. My buddy insisted I buy it from him with a AimPoint for 600 bucks. Not a mark on it anywhere.
Respectfully, I would have to say I have different experiences with Pardini as owner of 3 who shoots gallery weekly plus practice. But let me preface my experience with saying I started with a volquartsen, then a bob marvel, and eventually graduated to a pardini and have shot every variation from members of my club (e.g., a volquartsen with $300 Rink grips sure make a difference to the tune of 5-10 points). What we use is a function of our budget, how seriously we take gallery shooting, and at what level we compete. I know a very competitive hobbyist who started gallery shooting with a Pardini 3.5 years ago and reached national championship level this year. Doubt he could've with anything else. Would I love to own a High Standard in my collection? 100% but for fun and history it represents. I would argue that when a product or company seizes to be it is because marketplace and consumers have spoken.

Now to your FTF issues relating to cleaning. Sure, Pardini is a precision machine, but I only clean mine every 1000-1500 rounds. What I notice is that trigger gets a tiny bit heavier, and I will eventually have a couple malfunctions from buildup. No issues in between though whatsoever. groups don't get wider and not FTF. However, that was not the case at the beginning before I figured a couple of things out that eliminated all issues. 1- Pardini and its dealer recommend specific ammunition: SK, Lapua Pistol King, and Aguila Target match (which Aguila discontinued last year to rebrand and double the price). Pardini magazines are too tight for CCI standard. I am not saying one must always pay a premium to shoot gallery. I am saying that cheaper ammo and gun will like get you close but not into high 280's and 290's. 2- And, this applicable to any firearm in any discipline, when you load the 5 rounds in your pardini magazine, turn it upside down, pull the spring tab to relieve spring tension, and let gravity sit the rounds right. Sometimes that first round is just not point up enough. This was a tip from an old-timer in my club and virtually eliminated all my FTF issues.

I don't take gallery shooting that seriously. Just having fun with it. Recently discovered that FN 502 is capable to very tight groups and waiting to see what it can do with a red dot.

Respectfully, I would have to say I have different experiences with Pardini as owner of 3 who shoots gallery weekly plus practice. But let me preface my experience with saying I started with a volquartsen, then a bob marvel, and eventually graduated to a pardini and have shot every variation from members of my club (e.g., a volquartsen with $300 Rink grips sure make a difference to the tune of 5-10 points). What we use is a function of our budget, how seriously we take gallery shooting, and at what level we compete. I know a very competitive hobbyist who started gallery shooting with a Pardini 3.5 years ago and reached national championship level this year. Doubt he could've with anything else. Would I love to own a High Standard in my collection? 100% but for fun and history it represents. I would argue that when a product or company seizes to be it is because marketplace and consumers have spoken.

Now to your FTF issues relating to cleaning. Sure, Pardini is a precision machine, but I only clean mine every 1000-1500 rounds. What I notice is that trigger gets a tiny bit heavier, and I will eventually have a couple malfunctions from buildup. No issues in between though whatsoever. groups don't get wider and not FTF. However, that was not the case at the beginning before I figured a couple of things out that eliminated all issues. 1- Pardini and its dealer recommend specific ammunition: SK, Lapua Pistol King, and Aguila Target match (which Aguila discontinued last year to rebrand and double the price). Pardini magazines are too tight for CCI standard. I am not saying one must always pay a premium to shoot gallery. I am saying that cheaper ammo and gun will like get you close but not into high 280's and 290's. 2- And, this applicable to any firearm in any discipline, when you load the 5 rounds in your pardini magazine, turn it upside down, pull the spring tab to relieve spring tension, and let gravity sit the rounds right. Sometimes that first round is just not point up enough. This was a tip from an old-timer in my club and virtually eliminated all my FTF issues.

I don't take gallery shooting that seriously. Just having fun with it. Recently discovered that FN 502 is capable to very tight groups and waiting to see what it can do with a red dot.
Hmmm. My Pardini runs exclusively on CCI SV. Never had a fail to feed or fire. I've never cleaned it either.

@DW357

Did you have any stove pipes with your first 5-10 mags?

The Aguila surprised me with a loose bullet! Never seen that before.

3F22B3EC-1885-4843-8366-3FE408810F6E.jpeg

Good to know. I'm in the market for a new .22 pistol, and I've always had good luck with Taurus.

Surprised at all the good luck on the Buckmark here, I don't think I've gotten two mags to run back to back without issues. I love Browning products, but finally had enough and got rid of it.

Back
Top Bottom