22 TCM Reloading

KMM696

NES Member
I've got a 22 TCM Contender barrel coming in about a month, so I'm starting to gather the rest of the necessaries.

22tcm_prm-660x510.jpg

Posing with a 9mm:

wicked3.jpg

No SAAMI recognition for this one (yet), and not much for load data. The case is based off the 223 so there's no shortage of raw materials for brass. The general consensus I've read is to start with 22 Hornet load data, as the case volume and common bullets are almost the same. The most common powders mentioned are H110, 296 and Lil'Gun - none of which I have at the moment. I know I have some AA-9 and 1680 in the cabinet but I've got the time to hunt down something else before the barrel shows up, anyway.

So, I'm looking for suggestions for reloads. The pistol is going to be a 13" barrel T/C Contender. I've picked up a few samples of 40 and 45 grain bullets, but all the rest of my .224 bullets are 55, 62 and 77 grain FMJs. For this one, I'd like to get a target/plinker load and a good coyote one. I'd like to try some of the 30 and 35gr at some point. Should be fun to play with, especially since I haven't had the Contender out for a proper workout in a while.

I load the .22 Hornet with the 35 grain Hornady V-Max and 12.5 grains of Lil Gun

Sounds like a good place to start - I'll have to call around and see if anyone in W. MA has any Lil'Gun on the shelf. I've always had good luck with V-Max and A-Max bullets before, too.

I have the bolt action rifle its got it all over the 22 hornet at a 100 yards.20151104_144355.jpg20151104_144212.jpg

R&R was sitting on a good amount of powder last time I was there. Guns and Gear in Agawam usually has a decent stock too.

If all else fails, Cabelas in E. Hartford always has a massive selection too.

I researched it a bit and could not find a definitive answer in regards to where it head-spaces off of. I would think the shoulder, but saw one post/mention a crimp on the bullet affecting head-space. If it head-spaced off of the shoulder a crimp would have no effect. But....that was on another forum so worth what I paid for it.

I think it'd be a fun little zinger in the TC pistol platforms. In a rifle, well unless you already have the smaller calibers like 17 Rem, 17 Bumble bee, 218 bee 22 hornet ect. Otherwise Id get one of the aforementioned. But variety is always a good thing I suppose. In an auto loading pistol its a different story because there's nothing else out there quite like it.

Thats why TC's are so awesome. It doesn't take a lot to get into a caliber to see if you like it. 200 or so for a barrel, and if you don't like loading/shooting the caliber you can just trade your barrel off like baseball cards.

One of the guys at my range was shooting an RIA version of this about a year ago. It's a bit loud and had quite a muzzle flash. He let me shoot it and it's pleasant to shoot in a compact 1911 frame. His came with both 9mm and 22 TCM barrels. I believe it's similar, ballistically, to the FN 5.7, but, in my opinion a 1911 pistol frame simply looks better than the FN 5.7.

He was reloading his ammo, so dies, loads and materials were already available then.

One of the guys at my range was shooting an RIA version of this about a year ago. It's a bit loud and had quite a muzzle flash. He let me shoot it and it's pleasant to shoot in a compact 1911 frame. His came with both 9mm and 22 TCM barrels. I believe it's similar, ballistically, to the FN 5.7, but, in my opinion a 1911 pistol frame simply looks better than the FN 5.7.

He was reloading his ammo, so dies, loads and materials were already available then.

The big advantage is that 22TCM has a COAL of like 1.260" and 5.7x28 is around 1.590". The shorter COAL allows it to fit in firearms sized for 45ACP/10mm, such as the 1911.

The big advantage is that 22TCM has a COAL of like 1.260" and 5.7x28 is around 1.590". The shorter COAL allows it to fit in firearms sized for 45ACP/10mm, such as the 1911.

In addition to this, I believe there is another version of the 22TCM with a COAL similar to 9/.40 and works in say a Glock 17/22 with a 22TCM upper. I think the brass is the same but the bullet is seated deeper in the case. Don't quote me on that but I vaguely remember seeing that somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom