.22 wmr ammo failure

CCI 40gr jhp-'Choot Em"- semi auto rifle, first 4 rds of the 9 mag fired, 5th blew out the rotary mag and the gun smoked quite a bit for about 10 seconds-waited another minute or so then inspected both the chamber/bore, clear. Found the case and the bottom from about the middle to 3/16ths or so up the side was split open about 1/32nd or so.

Topped off the mag and put a tree between myself and the gun, all fired normally, did this two more times without another unpleasant experience.

Hope someone can clue me in as to what most likely happened, use this ammo exclusively; first time any malfunction or failure at all, well over 4000 rounds used in various rifles/handguns.

Please post Lot No. on flap for other shooters of this ammo.
Also, rough date of purchase and vendor.

Thanx

Sounds like a case failure or tbe bolt was not completely closed. My buddy had a 22wmr magnum research rifle that would often spray gas and particles out the port. After one to many he gave the rifle to his brother cause he sai d he could fix it? I dont think its been shot since?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLaZlEhDRhk

Last edited:
Re-read your post after reading Mac's reply. I thought you had issues with the first 4 rounds and a semi-catastrophic failure on the 5th.
So only had 1 round with an issue? Do you inspect your ammo before loading it into magazine? Bad round may have been damaged during manufacture.
Inspect remaining rounds in box.

I've seen .22 WMR with thin spots in the cases that blew-out several times, it's really not all that unusual.
This has always been a problematic cartridge in semi-autos.
Anyone remember the AMT pistol chambered for this ???
It was a real POS, never worked right, but I guess you could say that about most AMT's.
I used to shoot a lot of .22 WMR back before I became a reloader, but I gave it up mostly for cost reasons because I can shoot centerfire .38's & 9mm's for the same price or less per round. The only guns I still own in this chambering are a High Standard O/U Derringer and an NAA mini revolver. Even with the revolver, I've had case heads blow out a few times right at the spot where the firing pin strikes the rim.

Last edited:
appreciate the replies. I did neglect to post that the rifle is a Magnum Research the model with the stainless heavy barrel, it had to be sent back for service after the first time shooting - multiple rounds per loading would fail to eject. The rifle was returned in about two weeks, no issues were found with the gun; the magazine had to be adjusted. The incident posted was the sole failure out of a 100 or so rounds-but man what a failure it was.

M-R did mention that the CCI ammo used certainly should not cause any issues at all as it is 40 gr.

Our of curiosity, if the round itself was defective, would anyone venture a guess as to what might have happened if we had used it in our Ruger LCR or in a bolt action?

appreciate the replies. I did neglect to post that the rifle is a Magnum Research the model with the stainless heavy barrel, it had to be sent back for service after the first time shooting - multiple rounds per loading would fail to eject. The rifle was returned in about two weeks, no issues were found with the gun; the magazine had to be adjusted. The incident posted was the sole failure out of a 100 or so rounds-but man what a failure it was.

M-R did mention that the CCI ammo used certainly should not cause any issues at all as it is 40 gr.

Our of curiosity, if the round itself was defective, would anyone venture a guess as to what might have happened if we had used it in our Ruger LCR or in a bolt action?
about the same, bolt actions tend to have a "locking" lug.
so it might contain the blast a bit better?

It's kinda just the Nature of the 22 magnum.
The only .22 magnum rifle that I ever fired was a bolt-action Savage. Rifle did not belong to me, but a friend and I did some shooting one day. The rounds fed, fired and ejected perfectly. Accuracy was excellent. The headspacing on rifles should be checked periodically as part of the normal maintenance regimen.

The only .22 magnum rifle that I ever fired was a bolt-action Savage. Rifle did not belong to me, but a friend and I did some shooting one day. The rounds fed, fired and ejected perfectly. Accuracy was excellent. The headspacing on rifles should be checked periodically as part of the normal maintenance regimen.

I have a Ruger, Single Six, that is bomb proof reliable as well. Every 22 magnum, automatic rifle, or handgun, that I've ever shot had problems.

M60, I have put the blame where it belongs-the title of the topic should be : Magnum Research .22 wmr rifle failure.....

Our .22 wmr Ruger LCR is a hoot to shoot-many many hundreds of rounds of 'Choot Em' with not one single incident. The trigger is good the quality of the revolver is gooder and I will post that this gun and caliber is in every way shape and form a viable self defense option-of course with my usual caveat-for civilian use in what will be the situation civilians will find themselves in.

The only negative is cost of the .22 wmr ammo, equal to or more (usually) than 9 mm-LCR 9 anyone?

My vintage Savage wmr bolt has performed flawlessly for over 50 years and continues to do so.

M60, I have put the blame where it belongs-the title of the topic should be : Magnum Research .22 wmr rifle failure.....

Our .22 wmr Ruger LCR is a hoot to shoot-many many hundreds of rounds of 'Choot Em' with not one single incident. The trigger is good the quality of the revolver is gooder and I will post that this gun and caliber is in every way shape and form a viable self defense option-of course with my usual caveat-for civilian use in what will be the situation civilians will find themselves in.

The only negative is cost of the .22 wmr ammo, equal to or more (usually) than 9 mm-LCR 9 anyone?

My vintage Savage wmr bolt has performed flawlessly for over 50 years and continues to do so.

I think we're both saying pretty much the same thing. .22wmr seems to work more reliably in revolvers and bolt action rifles. Not so much in semiautos. I had a .22 wmr LCR. I traded it for a Smith and Wesson, Air Lite PD, .22 wmr. Nice little trail gun that's great for snakes, or even, up close coyotes. In a belt holster, you don't know it's there. Girl friend loves it's big noise and little, to nothing, recoil. Not to mention, it goes bang, every time.

Last edited:
I have some Winchester SuperX that misfires, locks up and binds my LCR 22 magnum. Probably 3 out of 6 misfire and almost every cylinder will jamb. It's all different sizes (circumference). Complete junk.

Speer Gold Dot short barrel and Hornady Critical Defense works perfect. I have CCI Maximags that I haven't tried yet.

Back
Top Bottom