220 band?

ChevyGuy91

NES Member
Anyone play in the 1.25 band? After chatting with a dude at NEAR fest I am interested. I am looking at one of those chicom TYT 220 mobiles with a N9TAX 220 slimjim since it won't put me out a ton of money in case I lose interest.

I have an Alinco dj-v27 it does the job and it was re adorably priced. .

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Interesting. I was wondering why there really weren't that many radios the use the band.

It's only used in the US, and at that, is hardly used. A lot of jap multiband gear won't even transmit on it... EG most 160-70cm rigs only do RX on 220, no transmit.

Ed,

There is a Jetstream 220M 222 MHz Mobile Radio setup for sale on RI swap and sell net by
another ham for $165.00

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Lemme just revive another ancient thread.

Anybody ever use the 1.25m band? My buddy is setting up some gear and wanted to try and see if I could hear him on that band. My FT-70d will receive it, but I can't transmit. I tuned into Greylock's repeater and listened for him. At some point while I was resting my eyes someone threw out their call and the thing was super clear.

For fun I checked out what radios are available and it's pretty slim pickings. But the chicom TYT is pretty short money. $130 for 65w is not too shabby. And it'd give me a reason to explore my new fascination with gamma match fed antennas.

I had a Triband Kenwood TH-D74a HT and could key up the 220 repeater 3mi away. I used it with another nearby Ham as our private repeater as nobody was ever on it that we heard. I just kept the radio on in the cradle and pulled it out to TX. As the wife never complained (at least about that radio) I was pretty sure there was little/no activity on 220. The owner sent us an email (from our QRZ contact listings) that he was disabling 220 and we were the only users - ever - since he enabled and tested it. I sold that radio last year.

Maybe you’ll find a more lively 220 near you!

I set up and played with 220 for little bit after making this thread. There are/were a few repeaters local to me, but after a few times of trying and only getting a response once, something to the effect of "I didn't think anyone used this machine", I shut the radio off and haven't turned it back on. Next time I'm in the garage I may turn it on and hit scan to see if anyone's talking.

I have a BridgeCom BCH-220 HT connected to an Ed Fong J-Pole. Scans the Waltham, Weston, Framingham, and Marlborough repeaters - pretty much crickets.

Back
Top Bottom