• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.223/5.56 Defensive Ammo

For all of you that own and employ semi-auto carbines in .223/5.56 for occasional home defense (Mother-Stabers and Father-Rapers, Zombies and Litterbugs that is) What ammo do you put in your carbine (or keep in your mags) for a defensive social engagement?

Obviously one wants something serious but over penetration must be considered. Do you look at the Hollow Point Federal, Hornady (and such), or the milsurp M855, or the better quality run of-the-mill commercial stuff like SB, etc, or just whatever you can buy a whole lot of?

I'm thinking that this is ammo I'm not storing an excessive amount (1000/rounds at most) of for too long. I look to well packaged Mil Surp for that.

If you have a 1:7 Twist, the load that I have seen recomended the most would be the Hornady 5.56mm TAP 75gr T2 load.

Although, at close distances found in the home, you could probably get away with this in a 1:9 barrel.

Steve

All rifle ammo will overpenetrate in residential buildings! Use a pistol or shotgun for home defense.

For example, I use my Ruger Redhawk .44 Magnum for home defense. [smile] [wink]

Regards,

Bob

All rifle ammo will overpenetrate in residential buildings! Use a pistol or shotgun for home defense.

Regards,

Bob

This has been refuted before.

.223 or 5.56 has as much if not less of a chance of over penetration than handgun ammunition.

Regards,

Bob

I understand the nature of the ballistics involved and of course we're really talking hypothetically because we all know that this is a completely safe state where nothing ever happens because no one has guns.

But I do have handguns which I employ for just that purpose but for the purpose of this thread, let's stay with the .223/5.56 recommendations. I do however, recognize the spirit in which your suggestion was meant.

Any ol' M193 will do for the distances found in most homes.

I like Federal TRU 55grain nosler (is that right?). I haven't tried hornady TAP yet, but I've heard good things.

I have 1000rnds of 55grn M193 for the zombies...
I have a couple mags full of the Federal TRU 55grain for HD .

I'm partial to Lake City M855 Ball (62 gr, green tip).

Of course, that's what I use when doing my "part time" job.

If you've got a slower twist rifle (Mini-14 or AP1 AR) then go with M193 Ball (55 gr).

QUALITY Remanufactured (reputable company known for good stuff) of either is OK as well. Black Hills Reman would do fine. Yeah, I make my own. A good copy of LC M855, using LC or WCC brass and USGI M855 bullets or IMI 62 gr bullets. Accurate enough and works 100%.

Other companies are known for good stuff. Prvi Partisan is one. The major American companies (Remington, Winchester, Federal) are also good. Hornady is better quality stuff.

Oh, and after that mag of Prvi 62, I have a banana clipped pair of mags, one with wolf, one with XM193.

Yes, yes, I know its Wolf, but I figure that in a HD scenario, if I need more than the first thirty rounds, I'm probably SOL anyway.

Hornady TAP 75 gr if your barrel can handle it. (usually need 1:8/1:7 twist
to stabilize) They also make a few lighter loads that probably work good.

Other stuff I keep around is Federal Gold Medal Match with 69 and 77 grain
SMK bullet loads. This stuff is off the wall expensive now, though- TAP is
probably cheaper!

If you're on a budget get some Fed XM193, M193, or Win Q3131A. Even this has gotten pricey.

I would never use any M855 loading for defense unless it was the only ammo
I had. It's proven itself time and time again in various tests to offer terrible
wound ballistics at CQB ranges. (At least in the testing I've seen... )

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom