• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

223 load data

I was on the Hodgdon web site, getting some 223 data to mess around with, and I came across this...

Cartridge: 223 Remington
Load Type: Rifle
Starting Loads

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maximum Loads

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bullet Weight (Gr.) Manufacturer Powder Bullet Diam. C.O.L. Grs. Vel. (ft/s) Pressure Grs. Vel. (ft/s) Pressure

55 GR. HDY FMJ Hodgdon Titegroup .224" 2.200" 3.1 1064 4,000 CUP

Why would someone want to load 223 with 3.1 grains of tite group and get a maximum velocity of only 1064

Seeing how I use titegroup for .40, I think I might make up a few to see if they actually cycle the action of my AR.

Also another thought...

They don't list minimum data for that powder, only max. If pressures of other powders go upwards of 55,000 PSI why is the max load with titegroup only 4,000psi? I doubt 3.1 grains would fill a 223 case, and it isn't even listed as a compressed load...

Strange.

Interesting - 22lr velocity out of 223. Like you, I'm having difficulty with what problem these loads solve, but I am curious. If the load was for an 80 or 90 gr bullet, loaded to be just subsonic, and I had a suppressor for my Contender, it would make a nice backyard critter cartridge.

Maybe that's it - a subsonic load for a suppressed 223. I wouldn't expect it to cycle the action of an AR, but at least the 40gr would fit in a magazine.

I can't wait for someone who knows what these are for.

I was on the Hodgdon web site, getting some 223 data to mess around with, and I came across this...

Cartridge: 223 Remington
Load Type: Rifle
Starting Loads

Maximum Loads

Bullet Weight (Gr.) Manufacturer Powder Bullet Diam. C.O.L. Grs. Vel. (ft/s) Pressure Grs. Vel. (ft/s) Pressure

55 GR. HDY FMJ Hodgdon Titegroup .224" 2.200" 3.1 1064 4,000 CUP

Why would someone want to load 223 with 3.1 grains of tite group and get a maximum velocity of only 1064

Seeing how I use titegroup for .40, I think I might make up a few to see if they actually cycle the action of my AR.

I doubt very much this load was intended for the AR. It certainly won't cycle the action (IMHO) and I doubt this load will drive the bullet all the way out of the barrel. I wouldn't try it.

If the muzzle velocity is 1064 ft/s, I'm pretty sure it'll leave the barrel. assuming that they actually tested these loads before posting them

I'm going to try to call again today. I called on Friday, but got the message that they scaled their hours back to Mon-Thurs.

I'll post here what I find out.

According to Hodgdon, they are specific sub sonic loads. They confirmed that they will not cycle an AR.

Funny thing though, when I called, I said I had a question about 2 of the loadings listed for the 223 that looked strange, the guy on the other end said "You must mean the Titegroup and Clays data" So, they must have gotten a few calls on those. I also asked about the max load being so low, and if Titegroup would be an acceptable powder to raise the powder charge. He told me that 3.1gr is the max, and that after that the pressure starts to rise quickly to an unsafe level.

So, there's my answer

This could be a load for a T/C Contender with a relatively short barrel. The charge might not be enough to drive the bullet all the way down a longer rifle barrel. I would hate to find out the hard way.

This could be a load for a T/C Contender with a relatively short barrel. The charge might not be enough to drive the bullet all the way down a longer rifle barrel. I would hate to find out the hard way.

According to them, that load will run perfectly out of a full length barrel.

I've finally got all the parts to start putting together a 223 Savage. I may have to pick up some Titegroup just to try this. I'll need some bullets in that weight, too. Wish this state allowed suppressors, though. [sad]

Back
Top Bottom