.22lr in a .22 short bolt action rifle?

My first thought on this is "what does it say on the barrel"? Most gun I have seen that take both short and long say so on the barrel. If it says 22 short......it's for 22 short.

It's a .22 short rifle...says it on the barrel...just trying to understand why you couldn't run .22lr in it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 short is a shorter case. Does 22 lr even chamber? 22 lr is also more powerful

Yea it's a little bolt action squirrel gun...the .22lr will chamber and fire I'm just not sure if I should be doing it or not...I found some old .22 shot shells that I know won't feed in my 10/22 due to the crimped tips so I'd have to run them through 1 at a time so I was wondering if I could run them in the .22 short bolt rifle...if not maybe I'll try to see if they will feed in my nylon 66 tube fed

It's a .22 short rifle...says it on the barrel...just trying to understand why you couldn't run .22lr in it

22short chamber is .474" 22lr is .818"
If you cram a LR into a S chamber your going to cram the bullet and case into the lead of the barrel
It can then crush the case tight around the bullet jamming the rifle up and if you got it to chamber and shoot it could result in some over pressure or a even worse case stuck issues.

So the barrel is slightly tapered on the inside just past the location where the nose of a 22 short round would end up?...just trying to understand...I figured it would be more like shooting 22 longs out of a 22 short revolver...the cartridge diameter is the same but the length is different but it's the same diameter bullet leaving the barrel

Either way it sounds like the nylon 66 is going to be the way to go

Yea it's a little bolt action squirrel gun...the .22lr will chamber and fire I'm just not sure if I should be doing it or not...I found some old .22 shot shells that I know won't feed in my 10/22 due to the crimped tips so I'd have to run them through 1 at a time so I was wondering if I could run them in the .22 short bolt rifle...if not maybe I'll try to see if they will feed in my nylon 66 tube fed

Typing fail, reading fail. [shocked] From post 5:
He is not trying to shoot bullets, trying to shoot #12 shot from a tapered shell that fits in the chamber. (Not the plastic capsule modern shot shells, but the old school shells.) My only advice would be to try to Google the pressure each is loaded to. It seems that it should be OK if only have a few...
Edit: typed on my phone. Number six font is so bigger than number five... [laugh] no chance I can change it.

Last edited:

Are you sure your barrel does not say 22 shot.
You say it has no rifling? These are know as garden or snake guns. Often used on birds and rats up close like in a barn. I enjoyed shooting wasps when I had mine.
A 22lr should not chamber in a 22short chamber.
http://saami.org/specifications_and...download/Z299-1_ANSI-SAAMI_Rimfire.pdf#page=8
Yes you can probably chamber a 22lr in a short as the case and bullet are the same diameter. Although the bore is slightly smaller.

http://saami.org/specifications_and...download/Z299-1_ANSI-SAAMI_Rimfire.pdf#page=8

22 shot shell will not cycle any semi autos.

You say it has no rifling? These are know as garden or snake guns. Often used on birds and rats up close like in a barn. I enjoyed shooting wasps when I had mine.
Yes you can probably chamber a 22lr in a short as the case and bullet are the same diameter. Although the bore is slightly smaller.

As usual mac1911 has the answer. No rifling......probably a 22 shot.

Typing fail, reading fail. [shocked] From post 5:
He is not trying to shoot bullets, trying to shoot #12 shot from a tapered shell that fits in the chamber. (Not the plastic capsule modern shot shells, but the old school shells.) My only advice would be to try to Google the pressure each is loaded to. It seems that it should be OK if only have a few...
Edit: typed on my phone. Number six font is so bigger than number five... [laugh] no chance I can change it.

i want to shoot both regular .22 lr and these shot shells

i had a reading fail...i must have not read the barrel very well...says it shoots all .22...it just said it underneath instead of side by side photos coming...my grandfather called it a squirrel gun

fcc5964a8d26c4b55c2730f2d6066bc9.jpg

482f7aa9173cceef29720464a9ccc87a.jpg

Last edited:
i want to shoot both regular .22 lr and these shot shells

i had a reading fail...i must have not read the barrel very well...says it shoots all .22...it just said it underneath instead of side by side photos coming...my grandfather called it a squirrel gun

fcc5964a8d26c4b55c2730f2d6066bc9.jpg

482f7aa9173cceef29720464a9ccc87a.jpg

Nice looking gun! Enjoy!

Nice old Winchester. Looks like it shoots any .22. Hang on to that one.

Last edited:
Last edited:
thanks for all the help fellas...i guess i should have done my homework first and just looked at the rifle a little better...i still have to look it up when i have some time as i still don't know if the barrel is rifled or not...i think it isn't but i'm not positive

According to this manufactured between 1914-1919...
https://www.gunvaluesboard.com/i-ha...that-was-passed-to-me-from-my...-7860026.html

rifling on 22s is very shallow and if granpa was putting down squirrels and such to put food on the table im sure it got a lot of use. Tread lightly on "cleaning" it. I like 22s and thats a great little rifle. Its nice to have such a piece in the family for so long that actual was put into use and still doing its job.

I shot 22 shots in a bolt action Mauser sporter for many years without any problems. It was very quiet, and the squirrels loved it to death!

I have experience in this one!

Can you? Yes.

Will it fire? Yes.

Will it extract? Probably not. LOL

I've got an anteek falling-block .22 short rifle that my wife's grandfather got as a kid. I took my middle daughter to the range with it a few years ago and FORGOT that it was a .22 short after I couldn't extract the fired case. Needed a cleaning rod.

Sure it SEEMED hard to close the action, but not THAT hard.

Dangerous??? It's a .22 with a 1" bull bbl the entire way and a nice breechlock.

Stupid? Probably. No worse, ultimately than that time I fire-formed some 9/.40 brass. d'OH!

Here is a video with 20 views comparing the 1904 to two other single shot rifles of the era. The 1904 starts at about 13:25. Not a professional production but there is some interesting information about the years of production and the .22 extra long cartridge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a video with 20 views comparing the 1904 to two other single shot rifles of the era. The 1904 starts at about 13:25. Not a professional production but there is some interesting information about the years of production and the .22 extra long cartridge.

Thanks...pretty cool to see the interior operation...haven't even bothered to try and figure out how to strip it...this takes care of that for me

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom