• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.22LR MEGA THREAD!

Hollow point data is very interesting...

Last edited:

The split point modification reminded me of the tools people made or bought to trim the end of a round nose bullet to a flat nose, duplicating the CCI Small Game Bullet flat nose. I'm curious how the flat nose would compare to the three they tested.

CC_58_22LRSmallGameBulletLeadFN_Combo_R.jpg

I'm holding out til it drops back to 4c pr.
I may be waiting a while...
I still have bricks in my stash where I paid 2c pr.
Same. I’m waiting for those bulk no-name 22 packs are 4 cents/rnd. I’m not doing super hyper laser accuracy like some of the pros here. Just good ol’ 22 plinking

The split point modification reminded me of the tools people made or bought to trim the end of a round nose bullet to a flat nose, duplicating the CCI Small Game Bullet flat nose. I'm curious how the flat nose would compare to the three they tested.

CC_58_22LRSmallGameBulletLeadFN_Combo_R.jpg
Less over-penetration? Would be interesting...

22lr extra range has to be at least 30 years old bought when sears in Hanover still sold guns and ammo mid 80s
If anyone remebers gun counter was right when you walked in just passed the large vacuum demo area with the women dumping cherrios and feathers on rugs

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    478 KB · Views: 11
22lr extra range has to be at least 30 years old bought when sears in Hanover still sold guns and ammo mid 80s
If anyone remebers gun counter was right when you walked in just passed the large vacuum demo area with the women dumping cherrios and feathers on rugs

"Ted Williams Brand"

My first baseball glove was a Ted Williams Brand from Sears. [laugh]

🐯

If you want to get out with your 22's and use some of that ammo:

Rod & Gun of New Bedford is hosting a .22 Rimfire Rifle match on July 25th at the 100 Yard Rifle Range. Targets will be steel from 25 yards to 100 yards shot from various positions and props. This is based on PRS Rimfire stages. Registration will be $20.00 and is open today:

22lr Precision Rimfire Match @ Rod & Gun Club of New Bedford

I bought some factory .22lr hollow points during the height of the ammo apocalypse just out of sheer lack of options. Shooting paper, I obviously can't tell the difference. Is there a point (see what I did there) to them? I still can't see carrying a .22lr for self defense, so I'm not sure why I'd need a hollow point. Looks like they do expand a bit, but for what? Varmint rounds?

Anyway, they seem to cycle fine in my lever rifle, so I'll use them like any other plinking stuff.

I bought some factory .22lr hollow points during the height of the ammo apocalypse just out of sheer lack of options. Shooting paper, I obviously can't tell the difference. Is there a point (see what I did there) to them? I still can't see carrying a .22lr for self defense, so I'm not sure why I'd need a hollow point. Looks like they do expand a bit, but for what? Varmint rounds?

Anyway, they seem to cycle fine in my lever rifle, so I'll use them like any other plinking stuff.

Exactly that - hunting ammo. Plink away. :)

Squirrels LOVE HP .22's.

I would never "spit" a round-nose, but who knows? Never say never...

Squirrels LOVE HP .22's.

I would never "spit" a round-nose, but who knows? Never say never...
Growing up we did a lot of experimenting
One thing we did was drill out the nose removing about 10 grains of lead.
Picked up some velocity and seemed to do more damage to the target backers?

it was hard to tell if the damage was more on varmints. Shot a lot of rats at the dump and they dropped on a good hit no matter what

How about a little thought experiment on the lethality of hunting ammunition.
We can probably all agree that the 308 is an acceptable choice of cartridge for black bear, average weight of 300 lbs. The Federal premium 180 gr cartridge has 2278 ft /lbs of energy at 100 yards.
That gives us 7.6 ft/lbs of energy for every pound of bear. More than sufficient to do the job.

The average Grey squirrel weighs about 1.5 lbs. A 38gr hollow point has about 104 ft/ lbs of energy at 50 yards. That equates to 69 ft/ lbs of killing force per pound of squirrel.
I don't want to start any rumors that the 22 is overkill as a hunting round. I'll just let the science speak for itself.

How about a little thought experiment on the lethality of hunting ammunition.
We can probably all agree that the 308 is an acceptable choice of cartridge for black bear, average weight of 300 lbs. The Federal premium 180 gr cartridge has 2278 ft /lbs of energy at 100 yards.
That gives us 7.6 ft/lbs of energy for every pound of bear. More than sufficient to do the job.

The average Grey squirrel weighs about 1.5 lbs. A 38gr hollow point has about 104 ft/ lbs of energy at 50 yards. That equates to 69 ft/ lbs of killing force per pound of squirrel.
I don't want to start any rumors that the 22 is overkill as a hunting round. I'll just let the science speak for itself.
Huh - an interesting approach. With NE coyote average weight being 36lbs according to my shallow search of the internet, that works out to 2.9 ft/lbs per pound for a 38gr 22LR, and I'd consider that to be at best marginal effectiveness. I think we can take a SWAG at 7.6 and 2.9 being our upper and lower limits for effectiveness.

Perhaps I should rethink using my 375 H&H as a squirrel rifle. 2744 ft/lb-lb. Nah, if there's one thing NES has taught me it's that there's no such thing as overkill.

Huh - an interesting approach. With NE coyote average weight being 36lbs according to my shallow search of the internet, that works out to 2.9 ft/lbs per pound for a 38gr 22LR, and I'd consider that to be at best marginal effectiveness. I think we can take a SWAG at 7.6 and 2.9 being our upper and lower limits for effectiveness.

Perhaps I should rethink using my 375 H&H as a squirrel rifle. 2744 ft/lb-lb. Nah, if there's one thing NES has taught me it's that there's no such thing as overkill.

Wound cavity size (width) in relation to animal size probably plays a factor. .22lr is probably strong enough to penetrate enough to kill a coyote, but causes less relative damage inside this larger animal. But for a squirrel, that's a much larger relative wound cavity.

My dad probably picked these up in his travels I dont recall a Dickies bait and tackle growing up.

I have two boxes of this stuff, just like the one pictured. Given to me by a friend who inherited them from a hoarder.
Awesome ammo!! I shot a few mags full and was really impressed with the good 'ol bang this ammo made...seemed to pack more punch than
any other 22LR ammo I've ever used before. That said, I squirreled away the remainder box and a half into my safe to wait for some special future day..... 🤓

LIGHT STRIKES ON THE CMMG 22LR BCG

Ok so I put on a CMC 3.5lb trigger on my AR. I'm getting FTF at ~10% rate. Ammo is Federal target and champion, and some Remington (I forget which ones).

Before, I was using a regular GI trigger with JP springs, not one FTF.

My issue is:
I really want to keep the CMC trigger on there, and hoping the FTFs are due to:
-the CMMG bolt being dirty as hell (I just stripped it and cleaned it last night after hundreds of rounds)
-firing pin tip being blunt due to my dry firing (I believe the firing pin strikes metal, not air). In that case, I can order a new firing pin or shave off 1mm off the firing pin spring to allow more primer penetration.

Praying that I can keep 22lr plinking without modifying my setup!

Wound cavity size (width) in relation to animal size probably plays a factor. .22lr is probably strong enough to penetrate enough to kill a coyote, but causes less relative damage inside this larger animal. But for a squirrel, that's a much larger relative wound cavity.
I like the thought experiment, and also agree with the wound cavity consideration as being key. .22LR is MORE than adequate for chipmunks, but the vast majority of the energy is dumped into the ground or tree behind the animal. Chipmunk is still dead. I've seen airgun pellets with much less energy punch clean holes through. :p I need to spend more time studying terminal ballistics to better understand relevant factors...

Ok so I put on a CMC 3.5lb trigger on my AR. I'm getting FTF at ~10% rate. Ammo is Federal target and champion, and some Remington (I forget which ones).

My issue is:
-the CMMG bolt being dirty as hell (I just stripped it and cleaned it last night after hundreds of rounds)
-firing pin tip being blunt due to my dry firing (I believe the firing pin strikes metal, not air). In that case, I can order a new firing pin or shave off 1mm off the firing pin spring to allow more primer penetration.

The 22LR bolts can be pretty fussy about hammer shape. I had trouble with that the first time I moved the 22LR upper to a second lower, the notched hammer was unreliable. I'm not sure exactly which CMC trigger you got, but if it's further from the original hammer's shape I'm not surprised it has issues. CMMG probably mentions hammer profiles in their manual still, I don't remember mine mentioning other than traditional shape hammers at all.

Sorry - not what you wanted to hear, I'm sure.

Last edited:
If you want to get out with your 22's and use some of that ammo:

Sunday September 26th
Time: 8:45 Registration
9:00 Zero & Check dope
9:45 Safety brief
10:00 match starts
Round count roughly 100
North Dartmouth, MA 02747
Cost $20

This is a .22 Rimfire Precision Rifle match. Employing aspects of PRS22 Nine Stages. Match will be shot from various positions ie: Tank Trap, Rooftop & Barricade at multiple steel targets from 25 Yards to 100 Yards.
Register online through Practiscore

My issue is:

Ok so problem solved. The bolt just needed a cleaning! And a real deep cleaning, that is. 22lr is a really dirty round. It's like a 2-stroke engine. Make sure to clean and oil the firing pin spring. You want the least amount of friction so when the hammer wacks the firing pin, it really hits the rim good. Works so well that I fired most of the 22 duds from before. Good to know that the 3.5lb trigger still works, although I would go 4+lbs next time.

Ok so problem solved. The bolt just needed a cleaning! And a real deep cleaning, that is. 22lr is a really dirty round. It's like a 2-stroke engine. Make sure to clean and oil the firing pin spring. You want the least amount of friction so when the hammer wacks the firing pin, it really hits the rim good. Works so well that I fired most of the 22 duds from before. Good to know that the 3.5lb trigger still works, although I would go 4+lbs next time.
Yes 22lr can be a dirty bird. The key is not to over lube your 22s. All you really want is enough "gun oil" to help prevent rust. Very Very light

Don't overlube on 22lr. That's overkill.

All you need to clean on 22lr are:

THE FOUR KEY AREAS

Was blessed with many 22s growing up and a almost endless supply of ammo.
The brother and I would always go many more rounds through our 22s than the others with out any problems.
I still get asked how I get my marlin model 60 to not jam.

Back
Top Bottom