22lr Practice

so i'm looking to get into competition shooting once i'm out of the military. but my contract isn't up for a couple years. i'd like to invest in a para ordinance 1911, benelli M4 and build a custom AR15 for competition use but funding for that venture is a long way off. i have a friend who i shoot with regularly who is interested as well and we've been discussing training opportunities lately. we're thinking about fixing up some simple rigs, buying a pro-timer and getting some 22lr autoloaders to practice with.

just looking for opinions on whether or not it would be worth the price and if anyone has any good drills they'd like to suggest, i'm all ears.

I would buy a couple of ruger mark series pistols just at least plink and have fun with. Then I would save as much as possible in the next 2 years. The types of guns and compititions you think you want now most likely will change by then.

For uspsa, the only drill you can not practice with a .22 is recoil control. everything else, the .22 works great. I build a replica of my Open gun in .22

Why a Benelli M4? If you plan on shooting multigun competitions, go with an M2 field model. 21" or 24" will be as comptitive as you can make it perform.

I would buy a couple of ruger mark series pistols just at least plink and have fun with. Then I would save as much as possible in the next 2 years. The types of guns and compititions you think you want now most likely will change by then.
Not to hijack this thread, buttttt.... I have found a nice Aimpoint G2, mounted on a Mark I or Mark II left grip replacement type mount, thinking about buying a pistol to fit the mount / sight. My question is, is there a great deal of difference in the generations of Ruger MK X, pistols?

Last edited:
Avoid the Para... Pick another brand... I had a POS Para and got a S&W 1911... 1000X better... IMHO

What ever 1911 you decide on, get a .22 conversion for it for cheaper practice. It will pay for itself in short order. I have a Marvel which I like a lot.

Not to hijack this thread, buttttt.... I have found a nice Aimpoint G2, mounted on a Mark I or Mark II left grip replacement type mount, thinking about buying a pistol to fit the mount / sight. My question is, is there a great deal of difference in the generations of Ruger MK X, pistols?

I know this is a very late reply, but...

Mark I - no bolt hold-open on last round, 9 shot magazine, no mag safety, no loaded chamber indicator, moderately difficult to strip down and reassemble.

Mark II - Bolt holds open on last round, 10 round magazines, no mag safety, no loaded chamber indicator, moderately difficult to strip down and reassemble. BEST OF THE BUNCH IMNSHO (and I've had all three generations).

Mark III - Bolt holds open on last round, 10 round magazines, mag safety, loaded chamber indicator, PAIN IN THE F***ING ASS to strip down and reassemble. But it's a tack-driver, and usually comes with a scope mount, I think.

The one thing you left out is that the Mk3 moves the mag release to the right place (thumb) instead of the heel release on the I and II. For me that's more than worth the slight increase in difficulty of field stripping. You really don't need to clean it very often to maintain reliability.

.22LR practice is very good practice. Due to the cost of ammo. I prefer .22 conversions, that way I am still using the exact guns I shoot competition with. I use an advantge arms .22LR conversion in my Glock 35, and I have a dedicated .22LR upper for my AR that is identical to my regular upper. Also there are alot of match's that are rim fire only, or a side match for .22LR

Back
Top Bottom