• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

22LR Rimfire ammo fired from the rim!

First time shooting my used Ruger 77/22 today and 2 out of 5 shots down range blew out of the side of the rim.
It this common for rimfire ammo?
I've never experienced this with my Walther P22.

Ammo was Remington 22 Golden Bullet

2nd shot actually blew apart the aftermarket magazine that came with the rifle!

IMG_20110728_154646.jpg

It could be a headspace issue. Was the gun dirty? Sometimes that can cause a headspace problem in .22s.
I only recall ever seeing a case failure like this once, that was with a .22LR revolver which had been used to fire many hundreds of rounds of .22 short, leaving a "ring around the collar" about halfway down the chamber.

Depending on the gun, if there's a bit of grit or something in the part of the chamber that normally supports the rim, it's entirely possible that "the rounds were not seated all the way into the chamber" as mentioned elsewhere.

Actually, I did not personally clean the rifle after purchasing. I was told it was cleaned and put away so I was stupid and didn't think twice.
I will clean it this weekend and order a factory mag and try to test again soon.

FSTC - definitely a 77/22. First 2 shots were fine, 3rd went boom and lead went downrange somewhere, 4th was fine, 5th went boom and lead went downrange, but cheapo mag blew apart.

If you don't find anything wrong with the rifle, be sure to get the lot number of the ammo and call Remington about it. They might be getting other notices and it could lead to a recall if there are alot of problems.

Winchester had a recall on a type of their .22 ammo a few years ago.

If you don't find anything wrong with the rifle, be sure to get the lot number of the ammo and call Remington about it. They might be getting other notices and it could lead to a recall if there are alot of problems.

Thanks, I'll keep this in mind!

It's Golden Bullet -- I'm guessing they get a pretty consistent stream of complaints.

I have had this happen in my Ruger Mark II with CCI mini-mags.. I found that there is a heavy coating of "wax" or something on the bullet... So now after ever few mags I run the bore-snake through and all is good....

Im betting that rifle is chambered in .22 magnum....
If 617bones' rifle is a 22Mag, I'll gladly take it off his hands for a slight discount off what he paid (gotta take into account the destroyed magazine).

I've never tried firing LR in a Magnum chamber, but I've always been told that it results in the entire case splitting?

If 617bones' rifle is a 22Mag, I'll gladly take it off his hands for a slight discount off what he paid (gotta take into account the destroyed magazine).

I've never tried firing LR in a Magnum chamber, but I've always been told that it results in the entire case splitting?

From experience the whole case splits. I bought a used .22 that someone had rechambered to 22 Mag and didnt mark it. Thought it was a .22 LR.

I've had this happen before on a semi-auto when the case wasn't fully seated. Wouldn't have expected it on a bolt gun.
Stupid question, but gotta ask: were you pushing the handle all the way down into battery?

22LR is stamped into the stock barrel.
Handle was definitely all the way down for all the shots.
I just ordered 2 factory mags and will give it a good clean before using it again.

I've only said this about a million times. Remmington .22 ammo is junk. Buy anything else. Even the .17HMR is bad. They had a recall on that too. Until Remmington gets their act together and learns how to manufacture .22 ammo I refuse to buy it. Me and thousands of others. It's been over 20 years since their ammo was any good.

Back
Top Bottom