garyz

NES Member
what is the difference between LRand long rifle, i know the lr is longer
will long rifle work in a lr gun
Fixed it
thx
gary

Last edited:
Looks around nervously. It's er, the same round? No difference.

Oh wait. lf or lr?

Don't confuse the two rounds. The 'lr' is short for 'lizard round' and was developed in Honduras to guard mezcal plantations against marauding iguanas. It's not compatible with firearms chambered for long rifle. Glock even published an advisory to not load lr in their new 22 or risk it blowing up in the user's face.

In times of national panic, often there's 22 lr left on the shelf after all the long rifle is gone. Don't fall for it- walk away.

The guy is green, he has great trade ratings and has been a member since 2009... he deserves better than this. Just kidding. [laugh]
Op, the use of lf in your first sentence and lr in your second sentence seems to be my problem with your question. LF could stand for Lead Free:
Varmint LF | Winchester Ammunition
LR stands for long rifle. Some guns might delineate that they are suitable for shorts, longs, and long rifle .22 shells:
1591980400393.png

or
1591980475007.png
or
1591980607637.png

Some are spelled out completely and some are abbreviated. LR = Long Rifle
Lead free is interesting...

The question then is: are the LF shells shorter?

" Unlike the Stinger, which is loaded in a slightly lengthened, nickel-plated, LR case, the Copper-22 is loaded in a standard length, brass, Long Rifle case. The exposed portion of the Copper-22 bullet is approximately as long as the exposed portion of the much heavier Stinger bullet."

1591981594314.png

So: Stinger~Lead 40 grain Long Rifle~ Lead Free 21 grain Long Rifle are all about the same overall length. (Based on CH analysis above.)
I therefore think that the "lf" was a typo which added to the intrigue of your question.

Hope you found this helpful.

As I remember, the Long and Long rifle use the same case and the Long uses a shorter bullet. Some old timer can correct me if I'm wrong. Jack.

sorry... i meant that to the OP.

I agree with you... 22 long and long rifle are different

The thread title is asking about LR vs Long Rifle, and as I always thought/knew those are the same.

The guy is green, he has great trade ratings and has been a member since 2009... he deserves better than this. Just kidding. [laugh]
Op, the use of lf in your first sentence and lr in your second sentence seems to be my problem with your question. LF could stand for Lead Free:
Varmint LF | Winchester Ammunition
LR stands for long rifle. Some guns might delineate that they are suitable for shorts, longs, and long rifle .22 shells:
View attachment 364658

or
View attachment 364659
or
View attachment 364660

Some are spelled out completely and some are abbreviated. LR = Long Rifle
Lead free is interesting...

The question then is: are the LF shells shorter?

" Unlike the Stinger, which is loaded in a slightly lengthened, nickel-plated, LR case, the Copper-22 is loaded in a standard length, brass, Long Rifle case. The exposed portion of the Copper-22 bullet is approximately as long as the exposed portion of the much heavier Stinger bullet."

View attachment 364662

So: Stinger~Lead 40 grain Long Rifle~ Lead Free 21 grain Long Rifle are all about the same overall length. (Based on CH analysis above.)
I therefore think that the "lf" was a typo which added to the intrigue of your question.

Hope you found this helpful.

Ding, ding, ding!!! We have a winner.

Yes I have fat fingers. LR. Vs. long rifle
I'm not sure that actually clarifies your original question.

All .22 rimfires will work in a chamber the same or shorter, except .22 Magnum (AKA .22 WMR, .22 WMRF, or whatever else it's called). The magnum has a crimped case of larger diameter. The non-magnums have case and bullet diameters the same.

While firing a .22 CB cap in a .22 LR chamber might not be optimal for accuracy, it will work.

Probably more a .22 (LR) "brand" issue than a compatibility issue. Did you clean the chamber after (failure to eject?)? Semi auto? What gun? Is the gun"famous" for this problem? What ammo? Is the ammo "famous" for this problem? Did you buy so much of it that it is a problem? Do you have another .22? Shoot it in that one. Everyone should have multiple .22s. I think 12 is a good number. Rifles, pistols. Bolt action, semi-auto, lever action. Revolvers, semi-auto, single shots... :)

Yes I have fat fingers. LR. Vs. long rifle

LR = Long Rifle

Please forgive the ribbing, all in good fun. But please spread the iguana story so that next time panic buyers raid the shelves for 22 long rifle we can have our supply of 22LR. ;)

Some semi-auto 22's can be finicky regarding the ammo, even if both long rifle / LR.

Gun is an issc pistol. Ammo is federal hyper shock. 22long rifle. Have not tried it with another 22 yet. Also had issues with fed automatch. 22lr. In both the issc and gsg5.

Gun is an issc pistol. Ammo is federal hyper shock. 22long rifle. Have not tried it with another 22 yet. Also had issues with fed automatch. 22lr. In both the issc and gsg5.
newer production 22lr firearms seem to have more issues that 50 years ago!
Look at all the different 22lr ammo types and all the "problems" newer guns seem to have.
i have a few 50 plus year old 22s that will cycle shorts, longs and Long Rifle with out a fuss.
I gave up on Remington and Federal 22lr years ago. for general shooting CCI SV , Aguila super extra, SK standard plus.
Wolf Match extra, eley (assorted types). For a bit more consistency and accuracy.
Have fun, find something the pistol likes and buy as much as that lot number you feel necessary.

Is the gun new or used? When was it last torn down and cleaned?
Even if new, I’d tear it down and clean it. From what I’ve read the finish of the slide wears quickly (especially when new) and causes issues.

I‘d also try CCI mini mags... since it seems CCI mini mags solve a lot of semi auto .22 issues.

newer production 22lr firearms seem to have more issues that 50 years ago!
Look at all the different 22lr ammo types and all the "problems" newer guns seem to have.
i have a few 50 plus year old 22s that will cycle shorts, longs and Long Rifle with out a fuss.
I gave up on Remington and Federal 22lr years ago. for general shooting CCI SV , Aguila super extra, SK standard plus.
Wolf Match extra, eley (assorted types). For a bit more consistency and accuracy.
Have fun, find something the pistol likes and buy as much as that lot number you feel necessary.

I agree that only until very recently the“newer” 22s have more issues cycling reliably. My 50 year old llama runs like a swiss watch. My newest 22s, a smith m&p compact and a Taurus tx22 both run great regardless of the crap ammo I’ve tried

Last edited:
I agree that only until very recently the“newer” 22s has more issues cycling reliably. My 50 year old llama runs like a switch watch. My newest 22s, a smith m&p compact and a Taurus tx22 both run great regardless of the crap ammo I’ve tried
Theres no reason why todays 22s should have problems cycling 22lr SV . You should not need mini mags or high velocity to help cycle your firearm. They intent of mini mag was a bit more umph down range .
Today we have extra special 22lr from special pistol to special AR 22lr. Ugh. Smart Marketing folks.
i liked it when it was 22short 22L ong 22LR then Practice or Match ammo.

Back
Top Bottom