.22LR

Just picked up my second gun, a Ruger SR22. jGot my LTC a couple weeks ago. When I bought the gun I bought two 50 round boxes of Winchester Wildcat .22 LRN for $2.66 a box. I have a couple of questions hopefully you guys can help me out, first off why is it so cheap compared to other .22 I have seen online? Also can you guys tell me what brand I should be looking for, or at least what to stay away from? Lastly, what should I expect to pay for like 500 rounds?

Thanks in advance...........................

First of all, you have to find 22LR. That's the biggest problem these days. Four Seasons in Woburn, has 525rd Value Packs of 22LR, they're currently priced at $39.99.

For the semi-auto's, you want to stay with the higher velocity stuff, I'd say about 1050fps or quicker. CCI mini-mags, Federal Value pack, etc. Just make sure to check the ft/sec on the box.

Also, RE the "LRN", here's a good post

The plain lead nose rounds are less expensive to produce, and semi-autos (in my experience) have better reliability with the copper/brass washed ammo.

Last edited:
Be happy your Ruger can eat Winchester Wildcats, that was the one ammo mine did not like.

500 rounds=1 brick.
Winchester White Box 555 count iirc is $24 a brick at Walmart if you can find it.

I, and many others here prefer CCI Minimags, usually $10 per 100 count is the average retail price.

So anywhere from $25-$50 a brick I guess is your answer.

The real price break between the ammo is going to be if its copper plated, or just lead, and if its High Velocity or standard velocity (SV)

If you are lazy but like to shoot alot, you might want to pay the extra for the copper plated stuff, you will find it gums up your feed ramp and everything else a lot less.

Last edited:
My SR22 has functioned just fine with every type of ammo I've fed it since day 1, from cheapo standard velocity lead to high velocity mini mags. It didn't care one bit so don't think you need to find high velocity for it. You may find it likes some better than other for accuracy and maybe feeding but I've yet to find anything it doesn't like and I'll buy whatever happens to be available and on sale.

Shooters in hook set had federal 525 round box (copper plated) for 34 bucks today

My SR22 has functioned just fine with every type of ammo I've fed it since day 1, from cheapo standard velocity lead to high velocity mini mags. It didn't care one bit so don't think you need to find high velocity for it. You may find it likes some better than other for accuracy and maybe feeding but I've yet to find anything it doesn't like and I'll buy whatever happens to be available and on sale.

+1 Mine eats anything, even sub sonics will usually cycle

To the OP......the brands of .22LR that most guys prefer and are available (for the most part) are federal bulk pack copper plated, Winchester white box copper plated, and any type of CCI. As already posted if you don't like cleaning your guns stay away from lead only if you can and buy copper plated. Brand to stay away from is Remington thunderbolt......that stuff is filthy and has a tendency to leave a lot of lead fouling in the bore of a rifle or pistol. Hope this helps.

Wow..........thank you all very much for this valuable information. I appreciate you taking the time to give me your thoughts on the subject. I thought getting the LTC was the hard part! Now I have try and figure out all this ammo jargon![angry][angry][angry]

And why is so hard to buy ammo anyway!!!!!!!!!!! Is this a MA thing or a country wide thing?

Wow..........thank you all very much for this valuable information. I appreciate you taking the time to give me your thoughts on the subject. I thought getting the LTC was the hard part! Now I have try and figure out all this ammo jargon![angry][angry][angry]

And why is so hard to buy ammo anyway!!!!!!!!!!! Is this a MA thing or a country wide thing?
22 is in short supply for a few reasons. Mainly after everyone one went on a ammo buying frenzy on center fire ammo it bleeds down to 22lr. All the shooters of center fire ammo stopped shooting the big guns and broke out the 22s. Also in the past few years there has been a lot of new style 22s introduced spawning yet more shooters needing ammo.
No add that to 22lr is the cheapest to shoot and almost everyone dusted their 22s off at the same time.....poor there goes the ammo supply
I don't think people can really grasp just how much 22lr ammo gets consumed normally.

22 is in short supply for a few reasons. Mainly after everyone one went on a ammo buying frenzy on center fire ammo it bleeds down to 22lr. All the shooters of center fire ammo stopped shooting the big guns and broke out the 22s. Also in the past few years there has been a lot of new style 22s introduced spawning yet more shooters needing ammo.
No add that to 22lr is the cheapest to shoot and almost everyone dusted their 22s off at the same time.....poor there goes the ammo supply
I don't think people can really grasp just how much 22lr ammo gets consumed normally.

Thanks..............that makes sense.

I really like the Federal 22 auto match or the CCI in my semi's. They just cycle and feed better than the cheap stuff. I got a henry Golden Boy for my son a few years ago, and the best thing about it is that you can use damn near any 22 lr ammo and it is super fun at the range

Just a little tid bit of info. A supplier was selling some Remington military contracted surplus 22lr from the 90s.
Approx 7000 cases @ 5000 rounds per case. They sold out in a few days. There was not a shortage or demand. This was above and beyound their normal 22lr sales.....if you really like shooting you need to keep a stock pile. Are know your new but now you need to start. My dads simple rule. Buy asxmuch as you can afford after you take care of e erything else.
Before you even go shooting buy double of what you plan on shooting next range trip. Then as you go on buy any ammo you think is a good deal. Growing up I don't think there was less than 10k 22lr on hand at any one time. I always had fun shooting 22s even with my limitted time out since I have had children (not old enough to shoot, yet) I still manage to shoot severalxthousand rounds a year.

Just a little tid bit of info. A supplier was selling some Remington military contracted surplus 22lr from the 90s.
Approx 7000 cases @ 5000 rounds per case. They sold out in a few days. There was not a shortage or demand. This was above and beyound their normal 22lr sales.....if you really like shooting you need to keep a stock pile. Are know your new but now you need to start. My dads simple rule. Buy asxmuch as you can afford after you take care of e erything else.
Before you even go shooting buy double of what you plan on shooting next range trip. Then as you go on buy any ammo you think is a good deal. Growing up I don't think there was less than 10k 22lr on hand at any one time. I always had fun shooting 22s even with my limitted time out since I have had children (not old enough to shoot, yet) I still manage to shoot severalxthousand rounds a year.
''

Yes, I am new to all this for sure, but trust me..............I plan on starting to keep my eye open for ammo and will purchase it every time I see it. I just needed this little bit of "get started" information to put me on the right path.

thanks..................

Keep your eye on the walmart ammo thread, that's the best deal going usually. Grab it whenever you get a chance.

I was at a shop last friday, they had bricks of remington thunderbolt for $60. I wonder if they heard me laughing from across the store.

Sw 617 eats everything. I bought it on a whim and it has become my favorite range gun. Pick up 22 revolver they are a lot of fun

Sw 617 eats everything. I bought it on a whim and it has become my favorite range gun. Pick up 22 revolver they are a lot of fun

I looked at one as well when I was shopping for my son for christmas this year. Darn thing costs as much as a 686 plus 7 shot .357! SO....I opted for a ruger single 10 for my kid for christmas instead. Couldnt see spending almost $700 on a .22lr pistol. But yes....the trigger action was amazing on it......just for me not 700 bucks worth of amazing to go plinkin.,

My dad used to have a single six when i was a kid, that was nice to shoot. Sure less expensive to plink with then the 10/22 and sr22.

My dad used to have a single six when i was a kid, that was nice to shoot. Sure less expensive to plink with then the 10/22 and sr22.

Its a cool little gun! Can't wait to let him open it up on christmas day....and I'm sure I'll be at the gun club on the 26th to let him put some ammo through it!

Last couple of days .22LR has been fairly readily available. For the first time in the two weeks I have had my SR22 I am actually finding ammo at Walmarts, even regardless of what time I have been showing up. Have accumulated close to 2K rounds in just a few days. Maybe the "shortage" is winding down??

I picked up 3 packs of 50 federal for $2.47 each on monday and this morning got a 1,000 rnd pack of the winchester m22 for $50.87

Back
Top Bottom