• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

22lr

Four Seasons has 1600 MiniMag boxes for $150. That's $0.10/rnd including tax. Anyone think that's a good price?

You can find decent plinking .22lr for half that price right now. So, I guess it depends on how picky you are about the ammo quality. If you're just plinking, pass that up and look for Federal 525rnd boxes for $25 or similarly priced stuff. If it'll be used for a carry gun (LOL) or hunting, yeah definitely buy it.

Four Seasons has 1600 MiniMag boxes for $150. That's $0.10/rnd including tax. Anyone think that's a good price?

I've seen AR tactical and HP MiniMags at Rileys for more like $0.07/round.
Four seasons 22 ammo is on the high end. Federal auto match was $32 a box a few weeks age when even kittery was selling the same box for $20. That said......mini mags are higher price than most 22 ammo anyway......but......unless your gun needs the extra umph to cycle or plan to use it in a carry gun (hope not) then in my opinion mini mags and stingers by CCI are a bit over the top. My henry lever gun is more accurate with cheaper ammo than stingers and mini mags. Haven't bought that high velocity stuff in a long time

Four seasons 22 ammo is on the high end. Federal auto match was $32 a box a few weeks age when even kittery was selling the same box for $20. That said......mini mags are higher price than most 22 ammo anyway......but......unless your gun needs the extra umph to cycle or plan to use it in a carry gun (hope not) then in my opinion mini mags and stingers by CCI are a bit over the top. My henry lever gun is more accurate with cheaper ammo than stingers and mini mags. Haven't bought that high velocity stuff in a long time

HV 22lr is generally less accurate.

HV 22lr is generally less accurate.

Yeah I don't get the attraction to HV 22lr ammo personally......its a 22lr .......punching holes in paper and squirrels is about accuracy not velocity. I tried the stingers to see if I could notice less of a bullet drop at 75 to 100 yards out of the henry but all I got was a bigger shot group than with standard velocity

Yeah I don't get the attraction to HV 22lr ammo personally......its a 22lr .......punching holes in paper and squirrels is about accuracy not velocity. I tried the stingers to see if I could notice less of a bullet drop at 75 to 100 yards out of the henry but all I got was a bigger shot group than with standard velocity

Some semi autos don't allways run right on standard velocity. Mainly 22 conversions.

Some semi autos don't allways run right on standard velocity. Mainly 22 conversions.

I get that......actually mentioned it in my 1st comment......unless you have a semi auto that needs the extra umph.......HV mini mags and stingers are probably a waste of money.

I do have a buddy that buys mini mags for all his 22lr guns......lever actions and bolt guns......kind of silly IMO

I find this odd. Why is it so many 22s in the past didn't need "special" ammo.
I have a 1950s Hi Standard 22 rifle and a remington 552 that will run on shorts,long,LR with out issues. Had several pistols that had no problems cycling with standard cheap 22lr.
Needing HV ammo or "AR" ammo seem more to me like added sales or lack of engineering..... nothing new here in the 22lr game no matter what outer shell they decide to surround the action with.

I find this odd. Why is it so many 22s in the past didn't need "special" ammo.
I have a 1950s Hi Standard 22 rifle and a remington 552 that will run on shorts,long,LR with out issues. Had several pistols that had no problems cycling with standard cheap 22lr.
Needing HV ammo or "AR" ammo seem more to me like added sales or lack of engineering..... nothing new here in the 22lr game no matter what outer shell they decide to surround the action with.

Just some conversions work better with it. Guns like a glock are all the same. 1911's they make a one size fits all slide. If it's to tight on your gun. You can try to fit the slide or use hv. I never said its right it's just is what it is.

My gsg 1911 conversion kit will cycle any .22 but the primer only .22 . Which can get stuck in some .22 rifle barrels .

Just some conversions work better with it. Guns like a glock are all the same. 1911's they make a one size fits all slide. If it's to tight on your gun. You can try to fit the slide or use hv. I never said its right it's just is what it is.

My gsg 1911 conversion kit will cycle any .22 but the primer only .22 . Which can get stuck in some .22 rifle barrels .
Im not questioning you, more so the manufactures..... in the case of parts fit with things like 1911 conversions thats not the ammo vs a parts fit issue.
Im just wondering why semi auto 22s would cycle with out much issues 50 plus years ago and the new generation stuff May/Need special stuff.

Im not questioning you, more so the manufactures..... in the case of parts fit with things like 1911 conversions thats not the ammo vs a parts fit issue.
Im just wondering why semi auto 22s would cycle with out much issues 50 plus years ago and the new generation stuff May/Need special stuff.

Ive never had the problem with stuff that was built from the ground up as a .22 .

I know there are a few pistols but there trash any ways lol .

Ive never had the problem with stuff that was built from the ground up as a .22 .

I know there are a few pistols but there trash any ways lol .

all that said outback arms still has a good amount of 22lr in assorted aguila flavors.

I get that......actually mentioned it in my 1st comment......unless you have a semi auto that needs the extra umph.......HV mini mags and stingers are probably a waste of money.

I do have a buddy that buys mini mags for all his 22lr guns......lever actions and bolt guns......kind of silly IMO

i haven't seen CCI SV in recent memory, hard to find.

Any good equivalents?

i haven't seen CCI SV in recent memory, hard to find.

Any good equivalents?

I have two bricks of CCI standard that I'm chewing on that I got back in November. But federal "target" sold in bricks (not bulk pack) is pretty accurate and is considered standard velocity. Been getting that at kittery trading post for I think 30 bucks a brick and they seem to have a good supply of that coming in lately..

Last edited:
all that said outback arms still has a good amount of 22lr in assorted aguila flavors.

Are their heads still up their asses?

Last time I was there they were selling Armscor bricks for $100, I haven't crossed the threshold since someone there decided it was a great idea to rape customers on ammo prices(I'd rather go without).

Are their heads still up their asses?

Last time I was there they were selling Armscor bricks for $100, I haven't crossed the threshold since someone there decided it was a great idea to rape customers on ammo prices(I'd rather go without).

IDK i did not look at ammo prices, its a rare occasion I buy ammo in MA..... during the "crisis" every shop I went into had "rape" prices and most still do.

I have always purchased my 22lr by the 5k or round case or more and never have I seen a 5k round case for sale in MA.

its funny though I seen plenty of shops charging 75-100$ for 500 round bricks of all flavors yet the stuff like wolf match and elley target and match ammo was un touched at the same prices ?

I found a few places that never went out of stock on 22lr if you liked higher end ammo. The prices did not change much but the lot choices and amount in any particular lot where low .... the very high end stuff was pretty easy to find if you want to pay 15-20$ per 50!

Last edited:
IDK i did not look at ammo prices, its a rare occasion I buy ammo in MA..... during the "crisis" every shop I went into had "rape" prices and most still do.

I have always purchased my 22lr by the 5k or round case or more and never have I seen a 5k round case for sale in MA.

its funny though I seen plenty of shops charging 75-100$ for 500 round bricks of all flavors yet the stuff like wolf match and elley target and match ammo was un touched at the same prices ?

I found a few places that never went out of stock on 22lr if you liked higher end ammo. The prices did not change much but the lot choices and amount in any particular lot where low .... the very high end stuff was pretty easy to find if you want to pay 15-20$ per 50!
Holy crap.....Throughout the full retard pricing on 22lr I never saw a brick for sale in a shop for more than $70. $100 for brick of armscor wow.........I'd have left that on the shelf for sure. Before the whole "gauging" conversation starts again......he has a right to charge what he wants.....and folks have a right to leave it on the shelf and not shop there anymore.

Holy crap.....Throughout the full retard pricing on 22lr I never saw a brick for sale in a shop for more than $70. $100 for brick of armscor wow.........I'd have left that on the shelf for sure. Before the whole "gauging" conversation starts again......he has a right to charge what he wants.....and folks have a right to leave it on the shelf and not shop there anymore.

because they didnt have any! [smile]

because they didnt have any! [smile]

Yeah I get that too........I won't have that problem again. That is another one of the reasons the 22lr supply took awhile to come back.......everyone stocked up.......just like me.

Only stuff I saw near the 100$ mark was bigger boxes of high end match ammo.

I won't pay more then 30$ish for 500 rds of 22 no matter the type.

Dicks in seabrook has federal automatch for 20 bucks for the 325 round bulk pack about a dozen boxes lesf

Dicks in seabrook has federal automatch for 20 bucks for the 325 round bulk pack about a dozen boxes lesf

It appears .06 per round is,going to be the cheap price now. IDK it feels funny buying just ok .22or for .06-.10 per rnd. My dad got me hooked on always having more ammo than you plan to shoot on hand if you like to shoot. Money permitting my dad would buy ammo anytime he saw,what he,liked at a good price but mainly stocked up 2 times a year going to NH camping/hunting

It appears .06 per round is,going to be the cheap price now. IDK it feels funny buying just ok .22or for .06-.10 per rnd. My dad got me hooked on always having more ammo than you plan to shoot on hand if you like to shoot. Money permitting my dad would buy ammo anytime he saw,what he,liked at a good price but mainly stocked up 2 times a year going to NH camping/hunting
Similar to how the oil companies figured out Americans would pay 3 bucks a gallon at the pump.....begrudgingly.......but they would pay it....and now we are stuck with it. I don't like paying 6 cents a round for bread and butter 22lr either but.......until a very large.....and I mean very large group of shooters just plain stop paying that price and it sits on shelf....I think we are stuck with 6 cents at this point. I never paid more than 10 cents through all the post sandy hook hoopla........I just refused to do it. But I do enjoy shooting with my son and needed some supply and I'd guestimate I spent an average of 8 cents a round over the last couple of years.

- - - Updated - - -

Similar to how the oil companies figured out Americans would pay 3 bucks a gallon at the pump.....begrudgingly.......but they would pay it....and now we are stuck with it. I don't like paying 6 cents a round for bread and butter 22lr either but.......until a very large.....and I mean very large group of shooters just plain stop paying that price and it sits on shelf....I think we are stuck with 6 cents at this point. I never paid more than 10 cents through all the post sandy hook hoopla........I just refused to do it. But I do enjoy shooting with my son and needed some supply and I'd guestimate I spent an average of 8 cents a round over the last couple of years.

- - - Updated - - -

Got to remember, a lot of new shooters have gotten into the game in the last couple of years. (myself included) All they know are what a lot others refer to as "rape" prices, or close to it. Myself, .07 is my number for .22lr. Seven cents or less, Im a buyer. Ive never experienced .02-.03 .22lr.

What I don't get is why there is no .22 short to be had anywhere. I don't use a lot of it, just sometimes fun in my Winchester 1906 pump rifle, like an old time shooting gallery experience. Who would have thought it would be a highly sought after caliber?

Are there any rifles being made that shoot 22s these days....other than the remington 552 I can't think of any out side some target rifles and pistols? I love shorts out of my 552 and Glenfield 25. I'm down to about 500rds of aquila match 22s. It's out there on some of the 22 target oriented vendors.

Are there any rifles being made that shoot 22s these days....other than the remington 552 I can't think of any out side some target rifles and pistols? I love shorts out of my 552 and Glenfield 25. I'm down to about 500rds of aquila match 22s. It's out there on some of the 22 target oriented vendors.
The henry lever actions take 22l and 22s.

The henry lever actions take 22l and 22s.
Seldom do I see anyone shooting shorts. Even in Henry rifles. Shorts can be very accurate.
I think there is a mind set of why shoot that small 22s when I can shoot HV 22Mr??

Back
Top Bottom