• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

24 Hour Pandemic Prep List

Bump

In light of recent developments in China with Wuhan Coronovirus- I think it's timely to revive this thread.

For those who have concerns about This new virus and wish to prepare for a possible pandemic, see the list below:

Think about this logically. Once it is anounced that there is a full blown Global and deadly pandemic in play, the borders will be closed, travel and shipping will cease, and this just in time economy we're all so used to will fall apart quickly. If you have no preps at all and haven't had the time to think it through this list is a pretty good start.

This list is for individuals who have failed to stockpile goods and supplies for the event of a flu pandemic. It assumes that there has been some official or obvious sign given that a state of pandemic has been reached and that the best hope for protection will be self-quarantine. It has been said that a virus at this stage will be able to pass to any point on the globe within 18 hours. YOU NEED TO STOCK UP NOW.

If you are buying last-minute food, water and supplies when a human-to-human pandemic has been announced as spreading, please sit down for 5 minutes and make a plan of action. It is not a good idea to grab everything you can - BE STRATEGIC. You will not be able to get everything you need for a 3-month quarantine in one shopping trip! This list is based upon what you should attempt to accomplish in the ultimately unfortunate of "last-minute" trips - when everyone else will be "panic shopping" beside you. Focus your energy on grabbing foods that provide the most nutrition.

TIPS/SUGGESTIONS:
Pull the children out of school immediately and start the family plan into action.

Cell phones may come in handy - communication would be handy as you pick everything up around the stores and around town.
If you own multiple cars, have a family member drive each car (single-file, caravan style) to the same store. Each of you take a cart and a portion of this list. Meet back at the checkout and load all of the cars.
If the store has run out of an item you need, MOVE ON. IT WILL NOT BE THE END OF THE WORLD. Do not waste time in this situation. Go to another store until you get it.

You will need cash! Some stores may no longer accept credit or debit in this situation. In others, the lines may be down. Don't risk your survival because you do not have adequate cash on hand. And be prepared to spend considerably more than you would at any other grocery store run.

IN LOOSE ORDER OF IMPORTANCE:
• From home: call to renew your prescriptions for pick-up. Call doctor to arrange for more.
• Extract cash from your bank account (save some for online bill payments; you may also need to make arrangements re: investments, but this may need to be done later at this point. Right now you need to get supplies.) or the full amount your daily limit will allow.
• From the local drugstore/health Centre/pharmacy:
• N95 masks (NIOSH-rated Medical Particulate Masks) and Disposable gloves (latex, vinyl or the best yet is Nitrile): (you will need these in the event you leave the house again to pick up a forgotten or needed item)
• Band-Aids
• your prescription refills
• vitamins: C and multivitamins
• Tylenol/acetaminophen, aspirin/ ibuprofen (many uses); 3 bottles each
• any other over-the-counter meds you know you need (customize here)
• 8 packages of 12-rolls toilet paper
• 5 boxes Kleenex
• batteries: know the kind you will need. AA's - buy at least 10 packages.
• candles and/or tea lights - buy whatever is left; at least 50
• matches and lighters: buy 2 boxes matches; 10 lighters
• tampons if needed: year's worth if you can: 20 boxes of 40's; OR, 1 "keeper"
• soap
• shampoo and conditioner
• toothpaste

From the local grocery store:
• as many bags rice you can afford (remember, you need to be able to buy some of everything on this list)
• 20 cans beans (90 would be needed for 3 mos)
• 20 cans tuna/chicken/fish
• 10 cans vegetables
• 30-60 jugs water (and you are going to need to come back for more!)
• 20 bags pasta
• 10 jars pasta sauce
• 2 big bags potatoes (high in energy; keep long time)
• 20 cans tomato paste (make your own pasta sauce)
• energy bars; protein drinks;
• bag/boxes of mixed nuts
• bags of dried oatmeal
• bags dried beans
• 5 large bottles vegetable oil (sunflower, safflower and olive are healthiest)
• box sugar (biggest you can find)
• box salt (biggest you can find)
• bottles Gatorade (orally rehydrates) or vitaminized water
• pet food and/or baby supplies if needed
• extra manual can-opener (yours might break!)
• extra scissors (might lose yours!)
• 5 jars peanut butter
• 3 loaves bread
• 10 bars/tubs butter
• 10 bricks cheese
• frozen meat
• soups that don't need added water
• garbage bags

Go to local hardware/supplies store and buy:
• propane cooking stove
• propane
• flashlights (3)
• firestarters
• water purification tablets
• battery-operated radio

On way home: stock up on tank of gas, extra gas. Fill any portable gas containers you may have or can buy at the gas station.

LESS ESSENTIAL ITEMS to pick up if you have TIME, MONEY and they are AVAILABLE:
• chocolate
• coffee, teas
• 3 jars jam
• boxes macaroni and cheese
• bag onions
• boxes powdered milk
• box crackers, bag cookies
• peppers/lettuce/tomatoes
• other fresh fruit and veggies
• other vitamins if you know you need them: Omega-3, antioxidants, meds for diarrhea
• key spices you use: garlic, mixed spice shakers, bouillon, cinnamon, turmeric, curry, ginger
• q-tips, rubbing alcohol, a ready-made first-aid kit
• shaving cream and razors
• Paper plates, plastic forks, knives, spoons
• paper towels
• laundry soap

REALLY LESS ESSENTIAL (for urban survival) ITEMS TO WAIT FOR ANOTHER TRIP TO PICK UP and then ONLY IF YOU REALLY NEED THEM:
• candy, alcohol, tobacco (could be used for trade; but you should quit smoking at this point)
• tools; rope; tape;
• cleaning supplies (bleach; disinfectant hand sanitizer with more than 60% alcohol; liquid dish detergent; big jug white vinegar)
• Condiments - mayo, ketchup, BBQ Sauce, Salsa, creamers (presumably you will already have some of these anyway)
• Lotion and all other more luxurious personal care items
• entertainment items like books (you will already have some of these anyway)

FOR ALL OTHER ESSENTIAL SURVIVAL ITEMS YOU WILL NEED A SECOND TRIP (at your own risk)

Last edited:
Ding Ding.
I have been following and I am sorry to say I will be spending my weekend inspecting my supplies and updating my to buy list. Not what I want to be doing but it seems to have reached that point. For me at least.

From what I have Been reading Having supplies to be able to treat a loved one who happens to get sick. Hospitals can’t keep up .

masks, gloves, plastic, duck tape to make a clean/disinfect room, meds etc

Last edited:
I hear more and more folks having an oh shi$ moment with the news the past couple of days. Bumping this to put it back out there for people who need it. I'd also highly recommend Arthur Bradleys book on practical preparedness. For those who haven't started thinking about preparing it's an excellent, accessible , and practical guide walking you through those areas that you need to think about in a thoughtful and reasonable way. It's not a doomsday prepper book.

Handbook to Practical Disaster Preparedness for the Family, 2nd Edition Amazon product ASIN 1463531109View: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1463531109/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_MopnEb28GSM3W

A few days ago I looked at my supply of N95 masks.
I haven't checked on them since; Zika in 2016? Ebola in 2014? Maybe since Swine Flu in 2009?
Anyway, the elastic straps aren't dry rotted and remain stretchy.
N95 mask.jpg

I also stored 25 bars of soap in a two gallon bucket along with two activated hand warmers.
It is the same type of soap we use everyday, so at some point it will eventually get rotated into the regular supply.
soap bar long term prep.jpg

At an EMS class several days ago, the instructor said that hand sanitizers should be at least 60% alcohol to be effective and to avoid the scented types.

A few days ago I looked at my supply of N95 masks.
I haven't checked on them since; Zika in 2016? Ebola in 2014? Maybe since Swine Flu in 2009?
Anyway, the elastic straps aren't dry rotted and remain stretchy.
View attachment 328695

I also stored 25 bars of soap in a two gallon bucket along with two activated hand warmers.
It is the same type of soap we use everyday, so at some point it will eventually get rotated into the regular supply.
View attachment 328696

At an EMS class several days ago, the instructor said that hand sanitizers should be at least 60% alcohol to be effective and to avoid the scented types.

Just curious, why the hand warmer?

I hear more and more folks having an oh shi$ moment with the news the past couple of days. Bumping this to put it back out there for people who need it. I'd also highly recommend Arthur Bradleys book on practical preparedness. For those who haven't started thinking about preparing it's an excellent, accessible , and practical guide walking you through those areas that you need to think about in a thoughtful and reasonable way. It's not a doomsday prepper book.

Handbook to Practical Disaster Preparedness for the Family, 2nd Edition Amazon product ASIN 1463531109View: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1463531109/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_MopnEb28GSM3W

Great recommendation. I bought this book years ago and should read through it again

Business travel within 500mi of home in SoNH,includes a few N95 masks, gloves and enough cash to pay a train/bus ticket home. My EDC bag has a trauma kit, meds kit, essentials kit. When not flying, blade & multitool.

After 9-11, the four of us stuck in Baltimore withdrew our limits from ATMs before they ran dry and were able to pay cash for Acela tickets back to Boston three days after. Otherwise, it would have been another week. Rental cars were gone an hour after the second tower fell. Hotels were extending stays as needed because nobody new was arriving. But menus were getting thin as regular deliveries were not so regular.

Not going West Coast or Europe for sure.

Earlier in this thread there was some talk about Tamiflu. What is the consensuses, is it effective for treating the flu?

Now, Cal, I don't have a front lawn in Key West. (almost nobody does) and you couldn't get within 500 yards of my house in Hamilton. Not because I'd pull a gun or something dramatic like that, but for the noisy peacocks, guinea hens, geese, goats, donkeys, chickens, pigs, horses, my estate employees, the young girls we have around to work the horses and clean stalls, my crazy barking keeshonds, and the third floor glass cupola observation area I read, write, and drink coffee in. I'd see you coming and hear the chorus. But I get your drift, laugh away. It's good for you.

John

^^^ Was this guy another account for bceagleace?

Bumping this list for those who haven't been paying attention up until now

For those who have concerns about this new virus and wish to prepare for a possible pandemic, see the list below:

Think about this logically. Once it is announced that there is a full blown Global and deadly pandemic in play, the borders may be closed, travel and shipping will be impacted, and this just in time economy we're all so used to will fall apart quickly. If you have no preps at all and haven't had the time to think it through this list is a pretty good start.

This list is for individuals who have failed to stockpile goods and supplies for the event of a flu pandemic. It assumes that there has been some official or obvious sign given that a state of pandemic has been reached and that the best hope for protection will be self-quarantine. It has been said that a virus at this stage will be able to pass to any point on the globe within a few days. YOU NEED TO STOCK UP NOW.

If you are buying last-minute food, water and supplies when a human-to-human pandemic has been announced as spreading, please sit down for 5 minutes and make a plan of action. It is not a good idea to grab everything you can - BE STRATEGIC. You will not be able to get everything you need for an extended quarantine in one shopping trip! This list is based upon what you should attempt to accomplish in the ultimately unfortunate of "last-minute" trips - when everyone else will be "panic shopping" beside you. Focus your energy on grabbing foods that provide the most nutrition.

TIPS/SUGGESTIONS:
Pull the children out of school immediately and start the family plan into action.

Cell phones may come in handy - communication would be handy as you pick everything up around the stores and around town.
If you own multiple cars, have a family member drive each car (single-file, caravan style) to the same store. Each of you take a cart and a portion of this list. Meet back at the checkout and load all of the cars.
If the store has run out of an item you need, MOVE ON. IT WILL NOT BE THE END OF THE WORLD. Do not waste time in this situation. Go to another store until you get it.

You will need cash! Some stores may no longer accept credit or debit in this situation. In others, the lines may be down. Don't risk your survival because you do not have adequate cash on hand. And be prepared to spend considerably more than you would at any other grocery store run.

• From home: call to renew your prescriptions for pick-up. Call doctor to arrange for more.
• Extract cash from your bank account (save some for online bill payments; you may also need to make arrangements re: investments, but this may need to be done later at this point. Right now you need to get supplies.) or the full amount your daily limit will allow.
• N95 masks (NIOSH-rated Medical Particulate Masks) and Disposable gloves (latex, vinyl or the best yet is Nitrile): (you will need these in the event you leave the house again to pick up a forgotten or needed item)
• Band-Aids
• 5 boxes Kleenex
• soap
• toothpaste

• as many bags rice you can afford (remember, you need to be able to buy some of everything on this list)
• 10 cans vegetables
• 20 bags pasta
• 10 jars pasta sauce
• bags of dried oatmeal
• bags dried beans
• 5 jars peanut butter
• 3 loaves bread
• 10 bars/tubs butter
• 10 bricks cheese
• frozen meat
• garbage bags

• propane cooking stove
• propane
• flashlights (3)
• firestarters
• battery-operated radio

On way home: stock up on tank of gas, extra gas. Fill any portable gas containers you may have or can buy at the gas station.

• chocolate
• coffee, teas
• 3 jars jam
• bag onions
• boxes powdered milk
• other vitamins if you know you need them: Omega-3, antioxidants, meds for diarrhea
• key spices you use: garlic, mixed spice shakers, bouillon, cinnamon, turmeric, curry, ginger
• paper towels
• laundry soap

REALLY LESS ESSENTIAL (for urban survival) ITEMS TO WAIT FOR ANOTHER TRIP TO PICK UP and then ONLY IF YOU REALLY NEED THEM:
• candy, alcohol, tobacco (could be used for trade; but you should quit smoking at this point)
• tools; rope; tape;
• cleaning supplies (bleach; disinfectant hand sanitizer with more than 60% alcohol; liquid dish detergent; big jug white vinegar)
• Condiments - mayo, ketchup, BBQ Sauce, Salsa, creamers (presumably you will already have some of these anyway)

FOR ALL OTHER ESSENTIAL SURVIVAL ITEMS YOU WILL NEED A SECOND TRIP (at your own risk)

Last edited:
You'll find out how well your company protects you by restricting anyone that is sick or fly's or is returning from Europe from your facility [rofl]

You will be told, work or get fired, only a small percentage will die.

Picked up a PS4 and a Pile of games for short Money - Yes I know the 5 is coming out in the Fall, but a few hundred bucks to keep the kids (and me) busy during a quarantine is a worth it.

From the local grocery store...

Best advice on groceries is to stock up now on a multi-month of the foodstuff you would be eating anyway, and rotate your stock. Learn the lesson from Y2K preperations and don't just stash away a hundred cans of cheap salty food then let it sit until way past the expiration date.

If you buy the food you'd normally eat, just more of it, and then actually eat it, you're not wasting any money. Maybe even saving a bit (fewer trips to the store, plus whatever you save on routine price increases, etc).

Best advice on groceries is to stock up now on a multi-month of the foodstuff you would be eating anyway, and rotate your stock. Learn the lesson from Y2K preperations and don't just stash away a hundred cans of cheap salty food then let it sit until way past the expiration date.

If you buy the food you'd normally eat, just more of it, and then actually eat it, you're not wasting any money. Maybe even saving a bit (fewer trips to the store, plus whatever you save on routine price increases, etc).
Exactly. You're just pre shopping for the next month or two

Bumping this list for those who haven't been paying attention up until now

For those who have concerns about this new virus and wish to prepare for a possible pandemic, see the list below:

Think about this logically. Once it is announced that there is a full blown Global and deadly pandemic in play, the borders may be closed, travel and shipping will be impacted, and this just in time economy we're all so used to will fall apart quickly. If you have no preps at all and haven't had the time to think it through this list is a pretty good start.

This list is for individuals who have failed to stockpile goods and supplies for the event of a flu pandemic. It assumes that there has been some official or obvious sign given that a state of pandemic has been reached and that the best hope for protection will be self-quarantine. It has been said that a virus at this stage will be able to pass to any point on the globe within a few days. YOU NEED TO STOCK UP NOW.

If you are buying last-minute food, water and supplies when a human-to-human pandemic has been announced as spreading, please sit down for 5 minutes and make a plan of action. It is not a good idea to grab everything you can - BE STRATEGIC. You will not be able to get everything you need for an extended quarantine in one shopping trip! This list is based upon what you should attempt to accomplish in the ultimately unfortunate of "last-minute" trips - when everyone else will be "panic shopping" beside you. Focus your energy on grabbing foods that provide the most nutrition.

TIPS/SUGGESTIONS:

• Band-Aids
• 5 boxes Kleenex
• soap
• toothpaste

• 10 cans vegetables
• 20 bags pasta
• 10 jars pasta sauce
• bags of dried oatmeal
• bags dried beans
• 5 jars peanut butter
• 3 loaves bread
• 10 bars/tubs butter
• 10 bricks cheese
• frozen meat
• garbage bags

• propane cooking stove
• propane
• flashlights (3)
• firestarters
• battery-operated radio

• chocolate
• coffee, teas
• 3 jars jam
• bag onions
• boxes powdered milk
• paper towels
• laundry soap

• tools; rope; tape;

I keep reading this list and thinking "it's the same damn list!" [laugh]

I bought a Sawyer camping water filter thing. I figure I'm surrounded by water, this will get me through anything crazy and build a water distiller. I think I'm done 'getting ready' for this one. If people start to panic, I'll just top off with more.

I bought a Sawyer camping water filter thing. I figure I'm surrounded by water, this will get me through anything crazy and build a water distiller. I think I'm done 'getting ready' for this one. If people start to panic, I'll just top off with more.
I've been thinking of building a distillation setup. I have a small brook in the back yard so it would make sense. A pump to move the water then a frog catcher to gethany larger items, basic filter to get smaller bits then into a container. Then fill the distiller when needed.

I've been thinking of building a distillation setup. I have a small brook in the back yard so it would make sense. A pump to move the water then a frog catcher to gethany larger items, basic filter to get smaller bits then into a container. Then fill the distiller when needed.

A conventional still requires heat, which usually requires fire, which usually produces smoke. In the Flupocalypse, you won't want to emit smoke that might lead raiders to your bunker.

You should consider a bicycle powered vacuum still. Pull a strong vacuum and the water will boil at room temperature.

I live 100 yards from Lake Pontchartrain. "Water" isn't a problem, it's cleaning it from all you nasty MF's upriver who polluted it :p

Ok, maybe the shipping industry, but the Mississippi flows into it as well.

Back
Top Bottom