• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2m Side Band

Anyone using this mode? If so, what frequency are you running?

Would like to give it a shot since my IC-7100 can do it.

Talking to some guys down in Long Island over the last couple of nights on 3944, they seem to enjoy it a lot and have said that they can hit North Carolina during good propagation.

Pretty much everyone uses horizontally polarized antennas for 2M SSB, don't they?

Yes, that is correct.

For VHF best opportunity to add new grid squares is during one of the three annual ARRL VHF contests (Jan, June, Sept), based strictly on the amount of folks on the air at the time, some with long boom stacks.

The rules do not specify a mode, other then there is an FM only operator class, so you can use what works. For efficency and fun CW would be my choice but there are probably more SSB ops on.

For the record I have not participated in many years.

Yes, that is correct.

For VHF best opportunity to add new grid squares is during one of the three annual ARRL VHF contests (Jan, June, Sept), based strictly on the amount of folks on the air at the time, some with long boom stacks.

+1 During the contests is going to be the best time with the higher volume of people (Still not tons) unless you plan a sked.
As mentioned, for efficiency and fun the weak signal modes seem to win out.

There are new modes that are real fun and efficient and use your radio's data mode or USB until learning CW.
JT65 and FT8, but you will need a PC interfaced to your rig (audio and control) to take advantage of these.
Search for WSJT-x

Yes, that is correct.

The rules do not specify a mode, other then there is an FM only operator class, so you can use what works. For efficency and fun CW would be my choice but there are probably more SSB ops on.

For the record I have not participated in many years.

Ok, that probably explains it then. Only have a vertical antenna. Technically, my OCF dipole "could" do it but I haven't checked the SWR for the antenna at 2m. Not hard to do it as I have the AA-600 RigExpert... If the SWR is acceptable (as I don't have an auto-tuner that can do 2m), I may try it.

Ok, that probably explains it then. Only have a vertical antenna. Technically, my OCF dipole "could" do it but I haven't checked the SWR for the antenna at 2m... If the SWR is acceptable... I may try it.

While a dipole will get you in phase, it is not going to help with the fleeting nature of 144 MHz propagation, beyond line of sight, which is a slave to a shifting troposphere.

A dipole is going to present the effective radiated power (ERP) in two fixed broad lobes parallel to the run of the antenna for transmit, and exhibit no receive gain. (over reference dipole [laugh])

What you need is to focus your signal into a narrow directed beamwidth, while at the same time increasing the potential of received signals in that same direction. For VHF the simplist solution is a Yagi antenna, preferably with the largest number of directors optimally spaced on a boom that fits at your operating location. Yagi antennas are easy to build, relatively inexpensive, and examples of fairly good length can be turned by light duty rotators.

What this comes down to is...
Problem: You have to be able to listen where they is, not where they ain't (solved: directional antenna)
Problem: If you can't hear them you can't work em. (solved: high gain antenna + solution 1)
Problem: If they can't here you they can't work you. (solved: see solutions 1 & 2)

Back
Top Bottom