3 Gun Competitions

There are a couple occassionally. It's not real popular for some reason. If you want to shoot 3gun/multigun, you had best be prepared to travel.

USCG 3gun in Oct in CT every year looks like it (maybe you missed the last one Oct 2009)

That's why I stated "occasionally". There is very little activity in the 3gun/Multigun community in the Northeast. I've shot a couple matches at Hartford in the past, pre Coast Guard Academy shoots. I've also shot the last 2 at West Point. I definately like to support the young protectors of our country.
The original poster did not say if he liked to shoot a lot of 3 gun. If he does, he has to travel.

These clubs run occasional 3-gun/multi-gun type matches:

Pelham Fish and Game (NH)
Nenameseck Sportsmen's Club (Palmer MA)
Harvard (MA)
Hartford Gun Club (CT)

I wouldn't say there's no interest in 3-gun in the Northeast... Just not much interest in RUNNING a 3-gun match. Putting on a 3-gun match is a lot of work and makes for a long day. If there were a buch of people who wanted to get involved and help put on a match (design, construct and run stages), I'm sure there are a few clubs around who'd be more willing to host them.

I personally have never been to one, but if I knew there was one in the
plans I would certainly volunteer my time in the construction and break
down of the stages. As long as I get to shoot of course.[wink]

One thing to keep in mind is that there are side matches offered at some of the IPSC matches where you can shoot a rifle or shotgun. Also some clubs run practical rifle or shotgun matches from time to time. I actually prefer these matches as you can get a taste of practical rifle or shotgun competition without commiting to a long, drawn out match. These local events are great preparation for the more elaborate three gun matches.

We will have a multi gun at Bass River in June and a Combination Rifle / pIstol match in Oct. Both of which are the first sundays of the month

I personally have never been to one, but if I knew there was one in the
plans I would certainly volunteer my time in the construction and break
down of the stages. As long as I get to shoot of course.[wink]

We'll be happy to have you help out with set up.
E-mail me your contact info and I will keep you in the loop.

Tim

[email protected]

I wouldn't say there's no interest in 3-gun in the Northeast... Just not much interest in RUNNING a 3-gun match. Putting on a 3-gun match is a lot of work and makes for a long day. If there were a buch of people who wanted to get involved and help put on a match (design, construct and run stages), I'm sure there are a few clubs around who'd be more willing to host them.

YUP That's it. It is a lot of work & extra time. 3X the safety as well. Too bad though. It's alot of fun & that's when you see all the cool shit come out.

We will have a multi gun at Bass River in June and a Combination Rifle / pIstol match in Oct. Both of which are the first sundays of the month

Tim, please give some information concerning target distances, target sizes etc before the match.

Dave,
Warm bodies has always been a problem with running matches. If no one mentions that a multigun match is being planned, no one knows to volunteer.
I was absent from the last shotgun match at New Bedford, because of 2 holes in my knee, lots of Ibuprophin, other pain meds and a CryoCuff on said knee. Some friends offered to push me around on a cart though....I declined.[smile]

Tim, please give some information concerning target distances, target sizes etc before the match.

For the June match:

It will be no more than 100 yards with most of it within 25 yards for rifle.
Max 50 yards shotgun slug
Max 25 yards pistol.

I'll keep it to four stages. Three guns on three stages and rifle/shotgun for one stage.

All USPSA sized targets including clays out to 100 yards for rifle and small poppers at 50 yards for slugs.

I'll also limit the number of shooters to 30 and do a sign up.

Last edited:
For the June match:

It will be no more than 100 yards with most of it within 25 yards for rifle.
Max 50 yards shotgun slug
Max 25 yards pistol.

I'll keep it to four stages. Three guns on three stages and rifle/shotgun for one stage.

All USPSA sized targets including clays out to 100 yards for rifle and small poppers at 50 yards for slugs.

I'll also limit the number of shooters to 30 and do a sign up.

Tim,
Thanks for the information. It sounds like it would be worth while to drive to the Cape. If you're interested in half size USPSA targets, I can give you the contact. They make the short rifle shots a bit more interesting.[devil]

Tim, I live in Plymouth and I am down the Cape all the time. I am very interested in the match and would be only to happy to volunteer to help set up and break down in addition to competing. Please let me know what the schedule is and also how to regisrer so I don't miss out. That goes for anyone else that would be interested in hosting one of these competitions. The offer of help is there for the asking. Just let me know.

Robb

Tim,
Thanks for the information. It sounds like it would be worth while to drive to the Cape. If you're interested in half size USPSA targets, I can give you the contact. They make the short rifle shots a bit more interesting.[devil]

If you need reduced targets, you need only to ask. I think I still have some left :) May even have a rifle by then just will need to learn to use it. [shocked]

Man I hope I am not at sea during this event, I am in the middle of building matching AR's (mine and the girls, sequential serial numbers and all). Just received a big box full of Magpul goodness.

We found that it wasn't just the set-up work with 3-gun matches. A few seasons ago, we got really hooked and ran 2 multi-gun matches (multiple guns on each stage) and 1 3-gun match (one gun per stage) in one season. Then we followed that with the USPSA Area 7 3-Gun Championship the following season. We were having a blast, but we found that the large majority of the competitors told us they had more fun at the straight Rifle Match or Shotgun Match. The multi-gun apparently was fun when it was unusual, but when we made it a regular thing, it was a lot of work for the shooters to pack up 3 guns, 4 types of ammo, and a carload of support gear.

And of course, only a fraction of the usual suspects have all the gear to competitively shoot 3-gun, particulary gear in "running condition." Shooters don't mind carrying mags in pockets or shotshells in a pouch for a once-a-year match, but they're less likely to repeatedly show up until they feel they have the proper gear. "Customer feedback" is the number one reason why we've been limiting it to one gun per match.

We found that it wasn't just the set-up work with 3-gun matches. A few seasons ago, we got really hooked and ran 2 multi-gun matches (multiple guns on each stage) and 1 3-gun match (one gun per stage) in one season. Then we followed that with the USPSA Area 7 3-Gun Championship the following season. We were having a blast, but we found that the large majority of the competitors told us they had more fun at the straight Rifle Match or Shotgun Match. The multi-gun apparently was fun when it was unusual, but when we made it a regular thing, it was a lot of work for the shooters to pack up 3 guns, 4 types of ammo, and a carload of support gear.

And of course, only a fraction of the usual suspects have all the gear to competitively shoot 3-gun, particulary gear in "running condition." Shooters don't mind carrying mags in pockets or shotshells in a pouch for a once-a-year match, but they're less likely to repeatedly show up until they feel they have the proper gear. "Customer feedback" is the number one reason why we've been limiting it to one gun per match.

I agree. I would rather shoot a shotgun or rifle match than a three gun extravaganza.

I agree. I would rather shoot a shotgun or rifle match than a three gun extravaganza.

Which is why I answered to the original poster, if he want's to shoot multigun, he best be prepared to travel. Topton, Pa. is having a team multigun match in June. 3 person teams, 7 stages using all guns....55 teams have signed up. Different customer market.

Which is why I answered to the original poster, if he want's to shoot multigun, he best be prepared to travel. Topton, Pa. is having a team multigun match in June. 3 person teams, 7 stages using all guns....55 teams have signed up. Different customer market.

If that wasn't such a long ride, I would be interested.

I like the idea of 2 gun shoots, I like the idea of trying 3 gun shoots, I just want to shoot. If there were rifle/pistol matches I would be there in a heart beat, I have all the gear I would need. Although after stopping by the USPSA desk at the Marlboro gun show yesterday and handling the the AR they had, I am looking into re-doing one of my uppers into that kind of configuration.

Back
Top Bottom