• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

3 Gun NE schdule for 2014 please contribute

I'm new to 3 gun and I'm trying to find local matches in New England/NY. Its been hit or miss and very fustrating to go thru all the web sites. I wish there was a separate 3 gun forum on NER like USPSA and IDPA has. Maybe if a moderator reads this they could set it up. So far what I have found for 3 Gun in 2014 (please add any others i.e any in NH and ME?);

Lamoille Fish and Game Morrisville VT
May 25, July 27, and September 21
Bass River (Cape Cod?)
November ?

New Bedford Rod and Gun New Bedford MA
October 11
t

Last edited:
The match at Harvard on June 29th is the Kelly memorial match. It's multi discipline, some USPSA, IDPA, Steel Challenge. 3 Gun is very scarce in New England. Hampden in Maine used to have one, but, one of the club members that shot 3 gun now lives in Arizona.

If you read the thread about the Auburn match, it bears little resemblance to 3 gun matches. Yes they used 3 different guns, but, it didn't seem to be an action shooting match. Yelling time, to stop the shooter doesn't seem very good either. I guess they don't have timers or even a stop watch and a police whistle.

Last edited:
The match at Harvard on June 29th is the Kelly memorial match. It's multi discipline, some USPSA, IDPA, Steel Challenge. 3 Gun is very scarce in New England. Hampden in Maine used to have one, but, one of the club members that shot 3 gun now lives in Arizona.

If you read the thread about the Auburn match, it bears little resemblance to 3 gun matches. Yes they used 3 different guns, but, it didn't seem to be an action shooting match. Yelling time, to stop the shooter doesn't seem very good either. I guess they don't have timers or even a stop watch and a police whistle.

While I applauded any attempt to increase interest and participation in shooting matches / sports and I would love a local 3 gun match IMHO the Auburn matches is in dire need of some direction in terms of operation, function and safety.... After reading the thread about how it was "run" I would not call it a "3 gun" event and I certainly have no desire to attend

While I applauded any attempt to increase interest and participation in shooting matches / sports and I would love a local 3 gun match IMHO the Auburn matches is in dire need of some direction in terms of operation, function and safety.... After reading the thread about how it was "run" I would not call it a "3 gun" event and I certainly have no desire to attend

thats depressing Auburn is only 20 min for me

Tough to find around here. I am on Cape Cod, so not even near the rest of New England. I will be at Bass River and New Bedford though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess I'll try to keep this string alive, I found another club in Plymouth NH, The Pemigewasset Fish and Game Club holds the following

Sunday April 27 Intro to IDPA and 3 Gun
Sat June 21 3 Gun Match
Sun July 27 3 Gun
Sun Aug 24 3 Gun
Sun Sept 28 3 Gun
Sun Oct 26 3 Gun

any others

I guess I'll try to keep this string alive, I found another club in Plymouth NH, The Pemigewasset Fish and Game Club holds the following

Sunday April 27 Intro to IDPA and 3 Gun
Sat June 21 3 Gun Match
Sun July 27 3 Gun
Sun Aug 24 3 Gun
Sun Sept 28 3 Gun
Sun Oct 26 3 Gun

any others
I think you will find the Pemi club does IDPA three gun which is a game like no other but I may be wrong. Maybe Ken R can give us some info???

I think you will find the Pemi club does IDPA three gun which is a game like no other but I may be wrong. Maybe Ken R can give us some info???

Pemi uses BRM3G rules, scored on IDPA targets, and they usually have a way for pistol-only IDPA shooters to shoot a modified version of the stage. They do a good job with it.

Pemi uses BRM3G rules, scored on IDPA targets, and they usually have a way for pistol-only IDPA shooters to shoot a modified version of the stage. They do a good job with it.
How do they incorporate shotgun into that? What distances are done with rifles?

It's usually something like this:

3-gunners:

"From P1, engage targets S1-S4 with shotgun, then proceed to P2 and engage targets T5-T7, and then T8 and drop-turner T9 with pistol."

Pistol-only:

"From P1, engage targets S1-S4 from cover, slicing the pie, then proceed to P2 and engage targets T5-T7 in tac priority, and then T8 and drop-turner T9."

On stages that incorporate rifle, they either move the pistol guys up much closer to the target array, or in the case of long-range targets, or where they end up with too many targets for IDPA rules, the IDPA guys shoot only part of the stage.

That's an oversimplification, and Bob Klimm is more creative, but you get the gist.

It's usually something like this:

3-gunners:

"From P1, engage targets S1-S4 with shotgun, then proceed to P2 and engage targets T5-T7, and then T8 and drop-turner T9 with pistol."

Pistol-only:

"From P1, engage targets S1-S4 from cover, slicing the pie, then proceed to P2 and engage targets T5-T7 in tac priority, and then T8 and drop-turner T9."

On stages that incorporate rifle, they either move the pistol guys up much closer to the target array, or in the case of long-range targets, or where they end up with too many targets for IDPA rules, the IDPA guys shoot only part of the stage.

That's an oversimplification, and Bob Klimm is more creative, but you get the gist.

So, it's IDPA, maybe without the vest. [thinking]

So, it's IDPA, maybe without the vest. [thinking]

Um...no. I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion. Perhaps I didn't describe it correctly.

To broaden it for non-3 gunners, they try to carve out an "IDPA subset" on the 3-gun stages, not try to "expand" an IDPA stage to incorporate 3-gun. If you're 3-gun, they use BRM3G rules, not IDPA Multigun anything. Although their range is limited, they do have typically have at least one stage with rifle to ~ 200 yards. (Last year that stage was shotgun on the move to pistol on the move to rifle for a couple of relatively close targets, then hump around a corner and up a hill for the long range targets. Watch that red dot jump up and down as you're panting!)

A typical stage includes all three weapons, although some only two. Stage layout was no different than other 3-gun matches I've shot (shoot-run-shoot-dump-pick up-shoot-run-shoot-dump-pick up, etc.) especially considering the limited size of their action ranges. Rounds count is a bit lower, so you're not doing quite as much reload planning, but with 40-round PMags at $19 each, how much of a big deal is that? Based on what they have to work with, they do a pretty good job.

Two years ago, on one stage they put you in the back of a 4-wheeler with your rifle, and you engaged targets as they appeared from the right while tearing down a gravel road. (The "Act of Valor" stage) Next time you see that on an IDPA stage, let me know.

Last edited:
As someone who has never shot 3 gun but is interested, are any clubs putting on clinics? My club is pistol only, but I'd be willing to help set one up so us new guys could try it without fumbling around terribly.

As someone who has never shot 3 gun but is interested, are any clubs putting on clinics? My club is pistol only, but I'd be willing to help set one up so us new guys could try it without fumbling around terribly.

If you have access to a range, you could probably get one of the known national three gun shooters to give a course. It will take some work on your part and some organizing skills but it can be done. Then you get exactly what you want.

If you have access to a range, you could probably get one of the known national three gun shooters to give a course. It will take some work on your part and some organizing skills but it can be done. Then you get exactly what you want.

It won't be particularly cheap if this option is followed. Class sizes are normally limited, and travel expenses are computed into the fee. Range and equipment requirements will need to be addressed also.

Are you involved with the various action shooting games? If so, you have some of the basics of it already. Primarily gun handling while moving. The lack of clubs willing to allow 3 gun of any sort, pretty much means they won't do an introductory clinic.

what Dan S says......

3 gun is not having a shotgun, an AR and a pistol and standing still at a bench and firing at fixed targets. Its about movement like IDPA and USPSA are for pistols. A lot of the clubs are stuck on old range rules like shooting from a fixed firing line with no movement. Some clubs don't even let you draw a pistol. I believe you need action pistol shooting pits to do 3 gun with high berms like at New Bedford, Harvard (MWT) and Pioneer in NH to name a couple. In fairness to some clubs they do not have the space to set up action pistol pits. The fun of 3 gun is learning how to move and shoot with your weapons and to reload under pressure. I have not been there but I hear the guys at Pemi in Plymouth, NH have a pretty good grip on how to put on "real" 3 gun match.

BTW Pemi has an intro to IDPA and 3 gun this weekend on Sunday the 27th in Plymouth NH I registered for it and I am going. You do not need to be a member.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advise, guys. I'll keep looking into it and check out a match or two.
A bit of information will be helpful.
Do you shoot action pistol competitions?
Do you own a rifle (AR is preferred) and shotgun. If so, how are they configured, particularly the shotgun.
How far are you willing to drive for a match?

If you guys have any 3-gun matches that aren't already in this list please let me know and I'll add them.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_13_1/322_3_Gun_Match_Listings_by_State.html

Jesse read through this string you will find clubs with matches in NH, VT and MA, that was the pupose of it. There are not many but they are there. I do not want to tell you to post them as that should be between you and the clubs. I was at a into to 3 gun this week in NH at Pemigewasset Valley Fish & Game Club in Holderness they did a good job. Excellent club. They do three gun in combination with monthly IDPA.

If anyone has links to clubs send them my way. If the club has a public website they won't mind it being added to the 3GN listing unless of course they aren't looking for new shooters.

Back
Top Bottom