3 gun newbie gear advice

albythewhitey

NES Member
Hey guys, I'm looking to get into 3 gun and was looking for advice on what to start with for gear.

I plan on using my m&p 9, AR, and I currently have a Remington 870 but would like to pick up something else that's not pump. Pump action doesn't seem to be as quick as semi.

What do y'all run for a shotgun, under $1000 range? I've seen mag fed and tube fed, which do you prefer?

Also looking for good optics for my AR, I'm not going to skimp on quality, I'd rather have something reliable. A friend mentioned eotechs but in not too familiar with them. Any specific models that are better than others?

Lastly looking for advice on a belt setup for mags/holster etc. I'd rather buy once than buy something and not like it. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

A pretty much out of the box shotgun is the Stoeger M3K, a lot of advice from successful 3 gun shooters went into it. Mossberg 930 JM are hit or miss with reliability and require more maintainece than the inertia guns. A mag fed shotgun puts you into Open division.
The sighting system on your rifle will be the big factor for your choice of division. Eothech, Aimpoint, and various prism scopes are legal in Limited / Tac optics, variable scopes are used in Tactical / Tac Optics and Open. A low power variable is used by most people.
I`ve been using Safariland ELS system for a number of years. You can use a different belt, and drill holes to take ELS fittings. ELS gives you a lot of flexibility for swapping equipment on your belt depending on the stage.
There are a couple threads about getting into 3gun, but you have to go back a few years in this section, there is some joking in them along with a lot of information.

For a rifle you have the option of either a red dot, red dot with a magnifier or a low power optic. The low power optics seem to be more popular these days. I have an m-4 style carbine with an aim point comp ml2 and 3 power magnifier and a 16" full length hand guard ar that I put together as a "budget" race gun style build with a vortex crossfire 2 on an aero mount. I've been very happy with the vortex optics so far. when I can figure out how to upload pictures I'll share the setups
17021911_686305222731_524949847542629147_n.jpg

Last edited:
I agree on the M3000 for the shotgun, I've had mine for three seasons now and it has been a fantastic shotgun (not just a good cheap shotgun, the thing has been rock solid)
take a look at the vortex viper or if you have deeper pockets the razor HD lines, they have been awesome.
But if I can make a suggestion, run as much of what you have for your first couple events. the guns aren't going to be the limiting factor until you figure out the game. I shot a full season with my stock 870 with the exception of an extension tube a Colt m4 clone and my m&p. and you could have handed me a TTI M2 and a cobalt kinetics rifle and I doubt it would have helped my placement in any meaningful way.

I second the run with what you got until going to a couple shoots. Wait until you know which division you want to run in before buying equipment. It also lets you see what everyone else is using.
Most 3gunners love to talk equipment and will gladly give you input.

I started with a Mossberg 500 turkey gun because I shot it a lot and was familiar with it. I just went to a 590 for the increased capacity and it gives me the option of shooting heavy metal. Don't believe the hype on the speed advantage of a semi vs pump. It's not as much as you think. The cycling is done while you transition to the next target.
I think shotgun makes or breaks most people. Not the target transition, but shell storage and reloads. A lot of the race shellholders suck if you have to go prone.

I use basically the same equipment for IDPA, USPSA and 3gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are a thousand options out there and most people will spend a day and a half trying to convince you theirs is the best by far. It's not a cheap sport to get into so check out as much as you can before you buy.

Regardless of what you decide works best for you the key to success is dry practice. It's a timed event and slow or sloppy reloading is the downfall of the majority of players. It killed me at last weekends event (it was so cold I couldn't feel my fingers). Event though I hit all the targets quickly I gave away a bunch of time fumbling to reload.

Once you get your gear make sure it includes snap caps for pistol, rifle and most importantly shot gun. Put on you belt and practice reloading with whatever you have to get proficient. Doing this doesn't cost any money and will save a lot of stress at events.

still haven't made it to a match yet with my 2-3 year old setup (god damned military training always seems to coincide with the monson matches)...but i do a lot of action shooting/running and gunning in my backyard. Any variable 1-4x with a good size reticle that you're comfortable with is a good choice on top of any modern sporting rifle platform should get you started...my burris MTAC reticle kinda doubles as a red dot as it's pretty big and has both point target and area target aiming points, as well as a pretty forgiving eye relief.

i have nothing but good things to say about my Mossberg JM930 Pro...the thing is super reliable (i know some guys haven't been so lucky) and accurate as it gets out to 100yds with rifled slugs. i'd like to think it works so well because I broke it in as recommended with all high brass and keep the internals very clean. it's so short and easy to carry around, I even made it my deer season shotgun. it even uses the same choke tubes as my ruger red label (browning invector style).

for pistol, I opted for a 92fs due to my familiarity with the (m9) platform and the availability/legality of high capacity magazines in MA.

i know i'll probably have a lot of guys scoff at me for my shotgun/pistol choices at my first matches, but some of us living on military pay don't have the option of blowing $5k on equipment for a recreational sport.

the best advice i've read so far is at the very least...shotgun snap caps, and a few minutes every couple days to practice reloading through the breach. if you really wanna get funny with it...do some jumping jacks or sprint around the house and then try and do a speed reload! acute motor skills go out the window when the adrenaline gets pumping! better to know how to modify your movements before going to a match.

There are a thousand options out there and most people will spend a day and a half trying to convince you theirs is the best by far. It's not a cheap sport to get into so check out as much as you can before you buy.

Regardless of what you decide works best for you the key to success is dry practice. It's a timed event and slow or sloppy reloading is the downfall of the majority of players. It killed me at last weekends event (it was so cold I couldn't feel my fingers). Event though I hit all the targets quickly I gave away a bunch of time fumbling to reload.

Once you get your gear make sure it includes snap caps for pistol, rifle and most importantly shot gun. Put on you belt and practice reloading with whatever you have to get proficient. Doing this doesn't cost any money and will save a lot of stress at events.

Where was there a 3 gun match last weekend?

- - - Updated - - -

What ever you do don't use a Remington 1100/11-87.......

If you have one, use it. Don't buy one for 3 gun if you don't have one, there are better guns for that game now.

"Where was there a 3 gun match last week"

It was a members only event at Wallum Lake. 2 stages and cold as hell but had a great turn out. Awesome time, everyone stayed to the end.

Matches open to the public are scheduled there for 4/22, 7/16 & 10/15

The best advice I can give you is to do what Dan S tells you the first time around. It will save you a lot of time and money

yeah

Dan put an M2 in my hands and put some shell holders on my belt.
We did a shotgun match at Wallum lake, I dropped several shells throughout the day, but it was enough to get me hooked. I have since purchased my own M2 and enough plastic stuff to hang 30 shells on my belt.

I got a good discount on Blade techs ELS like stuff, and I went with Taccom shell holders.

I to use taccom shell holders for their price point and design. There are lots of Youtube videos on there, what makes or breaks shotgun stages is reloading, you need to double load. if you can quad load you will be king.

This guy has one of the best intro videos about the loading method because lets be honest, you will spend hours upon hours of practice in your bedroom practicing. The only thing missing from the video is the wife throwing some shade while reloading which will happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have since purchased my own M2 and enough plastic stuff to hang 30 shells on my belt.

The M2 is like a Ferrari - Not everyone that drives them can get the maximum out of it but if you do have the skills it won't hold you back.

I tried the economical route buying the JM Pro 1st then when jammed more than fired ( even when pristinely clean) bought the the Benelli M2 3 Gun edition.

Not a cheap gun but runs flawlessly and worth every penny. My recommendation is if you want save some money just buy the the M2 right off and don't waste the dough on anything inferior.

That lesson cost me $ 300. & a year of my life to learn.

I traded a unused handgun that I was not attached to for an 11-87 last year. Did a practical shotgun at wallum and a few 3 gun shoots at the end of the season with my trap/skeet pouch. I should do a little bit better this year with my taccom 20rd chest rig. I can load 2 OK, but quads will take some practice. The gun shoots very soft and is reliable if kept clean. The 11-87 has a few annoying things about the way it operares, but its not a problem once i got used to it. Now shot gun is my favorite part of the 3 gun.

Don't make the mistake of thinking you must load quads. I've seen match videos and shooters in major matches trying to load quads that would drop 2 if they were lucky, and load so slow they could have been faster off a side saddle and arm band. Arthritis and other hand issues make quads an excersise in futility for me. The guys you see on Facebook and Youtube shoot a lot of 3 gun, and put a lot of time into it.
Stuart Saunders is a friend of mine. The Brits shoot a lot of shotgun. The video below gives good insight into quads. He told me that it took about a month of practice before it clicked. He almost gave up on it several times.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsWSy3kMZmY

Dan s.,I don't think that you couldn't be more correct. I was thinking that as I was dropping dummy shells on the floor in my gun room. First ya drop one, put in one, and now the two left in your hand are not positioned correctly any more. Also I have tennis elbow in my right arm and pushing away with my Palm down is the worst movement I could make. I'm trying to get it better before shooting gets going around here.

Another thing is people get locked into one loading method. Yeah, I'm old and slow, and have worked with multiple methods of shotgun loading.
It seems that people want to group 3 gun into the pistol games, all your mags in the same place, same angle for a fast load in a short space. Granted, I do travel out west and shoot matches that the "back of the berm" may be a mile away. The match designers will toss a lot of things into the stage, like mixing slugs, shot, rifle and pistol all in one long stage. My slugs go into old fashioned style caddies, shot into another style, that way it's easier for my slow memory to relate to the kind of shell that needs to go into the gun, and when.

agreed Dan,
being how I broke both of my hands, quad loading has never been an option for me, I can dual load all day long but I'm lucky to get two in the loading port if I try to quad load.

I'm just starting to shoot 3Gun, and shot the first couple of matches with my existing gear while I looked at what other people were using. The guys I shoot with here are more than happy to talk about what works, (and what doesn't), and I got a lot of feedback about their equipment.

The first change I had to make was to my pistol holster as I needed one with retention. I managed to bounce my pistol out as I was running with my rifle, that was an immediate disqualification.

Next change was additional shotgun shell "caddies"; and figuring out how to arrange them on my belt.

A month or so ago I bought a Mossberg 930 JM PRO, and despite the difficulties that some others have had with it - I've had NO trouble with it what so ever. It's run absolutely flawlessly for me. I looked at the Versamax, and at the Stoeger, but since I was already familiar with Mossberg, (I have a 500), and one of my friends here has one and likes it -- I bought one. It was short money, around 700 out the door brand new. I shot a 2Gun match last weekend using it, and saw a couple others there - nobody seemed to be having trouble with them.

I'm practicing loading two shells, the time on a 3gun stage is all in the shotgun loading. The first match that I completed, I parred out on a couple of stages, it took me way too long to reload.

And the funniest thing is -- you actually CAN miss with a shotgun. You do have to take that split second to aim.

And the funniest thing is -- you actually CAN miss with a shotgun. You do have to take that split second to aim.

Shotguns are catch 22, either go with an full choke to ensure knockdowns or use an open to get near hits to count that may or may not knock down the target. For me I select the choke on the stage, if anything is more than 20 yards away I run full. If it's less I run modified. If it's really close or shooting at cardboard I run open as a hit is a hit.

Shotguns are catch 22, either go with an full choke to ensure knockdowns or use an open to get near hits to count that may or may not knock down the target. For me I select the choke on the stage, if anything is more than 20 yards away I run full. If it's less I run modified. If it's really close or shooting at cardboard I run open as a hit is a hit.

The stages we're running at my local club tend to require both slugs and birdshot, (max of #7, no buckshot), so I was figuring Modified. But I checked with Mossberg and they said most restricted they recommended for rifled slug was Improved Cylinder for their 930. So, most stages that's what I'm running. 2gun match last weekend had no slugs, so I ran the Modified for a slightly tighter pattern. The only time I've used the Full choke so far was for a Turkey shoot, and it worked well.

Back
Top Bottom