3 Guns, 2 Sights

OK, trying to decide how to set a couple things up.

First inventory:
Ruger 10/22 stock sights, also has picatinny rail
T/C Omega inline black powder stock sights, also has picatinny rail
HiPoint 995 Carbine stock sights

Bushnell TRS 25 red dot
Simmons 22Mag 4X traditional

The Ruger is the one in most obvious need of an optic, and I'm thinking the 4X Simmons there. The sights on the black powder one are fiber and pretty decent. The sights on the HiPoint are also decent for what it does. It hits a 12" plate at 100 yards pretty repeatedly. The trouble is, I've heard the HiPoint is a bit of a pain to remove the stock sights, and why mess with a good thing?

Just wondering if the red dot even has a home here, or should I maybe try it on the black powder? Will it stand up to the recoil?
Thoughts?

OK, trying to decide how to set a couple things up.

First inventory:
Ruger 10/22 stock sights, also has picatinny rail
T/C Omega inline black powder stock sights, also has picatinny rail
HiPoint 995 Carbine stock sights

Bushnell TRS 25 red dot
Simmons 22Mag 4X traditional

The Ruger is the one in most obvious need of an optic, and I'm thinking the 4X Simmons there. The sights on the black powder one are fiber and pretty decent. The sights on the HiPoint are also decent for what it does. It hits a 12" plate at 100 yards pretty repeatedly. The trouble is, I've heard the HiPoint is a bit of a pain to remove the stock sights, and why mess with a good thing?

Just wondering if the red dot even has a home here, or should I maybe try it on the black powder? Will it stand up to the recoil?
Thoughts?
i have a old school tasco propoint on my TC omega, its 25+ years old and still rocks. Its lived on the omega for about 6 with about 300 rounds through it so far. No idea what will hold up these days. I like the red dot on the Omega. i run 230 grain bullet with 100gn of "substitute" powder.

hi point? Buy a few discount cheap blister pack red dots from walmart, true glows are always cheap and seem to hold up ok,

the 22? Depends what you want to do with it.
Plinking 4x would do. Try to shoot small groups to distance , something with more MagX

i have a old school tasco propoint on my TC omega, its 25+ years old and still rocks. Its lived on the omega for about 6 with about 300 rounds through it so far. No idea what will hold up these days. I like the red dot on the Omega. i run 230 grain bullet with 100gn of "substitute" powder.

hi point? Buy a few discount cheap blister pack red dots from walmart, true glows are always cheap and seem to hold up ok,

the 22? Depends what you want to do with it.
Plinking 4x would do. Try to shoot small groups to distance , something with more MagX

Is that Tasco Propoint a red dot?

Sounds like I was thinking in the right direction. I thought the red dot should be good for maybe up to 90 yards or so. If not, the sights are still there. Will have to play around at the range. My thoughts are for dim light shots, and how that would compare red dot versus fiber ("light pipe"?).

The HiPoint I think I will just leave alone. It works the way it should for what it is, exactly as it is set up.

The .22? Well, for .22 distance, I think 4X should do fine. I consider that 120 yards max, but more typically around 20-80 yards. Not sure if you consider that "to distance".

Sounds like I was thinking in the right direction. I thought the red dot should be good for maybe up to 90 yards or so. If not, the sights are still there. Will have to play around at the range. My thoughts are for dim light shots, and how that would compare red dot versus fiber ("light pipe"?).

The HiPoint I think I will just leave alone. It works the way it should for what it is, exactly as it is set up.

The .22? Well, for .22 distance, I think 4X should do fine. I consider that 120 yards max, but more typically around 20-80 yards. Not sure if you consider that "to distance".
yes old school gen 1 tasco propoint made in Japan, I have put 3 batteries in this thing in 20 plus years......if it only had a auto shut off. Its what I had handy to slap on the omega when I first got the omega, think its a omega5 It just works, right height dot is easy to find. Have to get out and shoot that thing. , I got it short money from someone who won it at a raffle. I run the lee real and 230gn hollow points in the sabot through it I have it zeroed for 75 yards and If I ever come across a deer the few times I get to take a walk with it thats about the longest shot I would have , really 50 yards it more realistic. I might get out for a walk through on the last day. In 6 years I been able to take that walk 8 times. have not seen one yet.

22lr, always liked to shoot 22lr as far as I could. 100 yds min with match sights sometimes 200 yards, built a 10/22 up to run 200+. Not that I will get to 200+ anytime soon.

hi point-- I will call my friend and get him to bring his If I want to shoot one. he has some ultra cheap low profile red dot on his. Ebay for like $19, it works and we hit 8" plates with it , cheap fun.

Yes, it's (typically) a 30mm tube red dot. Dot is huge, at least 4 moa or larger. They might make different variants.

I had one of those on my bowling pin gun, it was attached to the gun when I bought it. it worked well for many years but eventually the detents wore out on the brightness on/off knob, and I used to have to put electrical tape on it after turning it on, to keep it from turning itself off due to the recoil. I am not sure what happened to it, its probably in some junk box with the busted weigand scope mount that was on that gun.. [rofl]

Yes, it's (typically) a 30mm tube red dot. Dot is huge, at least 4 moa or larger. They might make different variants.

I had one of those on my bowling pin gun, it was attached to the gun when I bought it. it worked well for many years but eventually the detents wore out on the brightness on/off knob, and I used to have to put electrical tape on it after turning it on, to keep it from turning itself off due to the recoil. I am not sure what happened to it, its probably in some junk box with the busted weigand scope mount that was on that gun.. [rofl]
4moa is about right. Works well for minute of deer

So, 4X Simmons 22Mag on the 10/22, and the TRS red-dot on the Omega, and leave HiPoint alone?
Dug out the omega
I have it zeroed for the lee REAL bullet at the moment but I also rin sabot with 45cal bullets, fot plinking 230gn LRN and 185 Hornady hollow pointimage.jpg

Back
Top Bottom