3 malfuntions first day witha new gun?

Hi all im new here and to shooting . I recently bought a used m&p shield for my carry weapon. As far as I can tell on the box it was made on 4/417 so less than a year old. I was shooting winchester 124 grain fmj nato 150 round box from wally world. I have never used that ammo b4 . In the first 3 mags I had 2 duds and a stove pipe. I was not sure weather to blame the gun or ammo? I have not had a problem with my 9c 2.0 . I swiched to fedral 115 fmj that day and had no more issues? Any thoughts? . Thanks for your help

Welcome! Based on my experince, I personally try to stay away from Winchester ammo and am a fan of federal. That being said, 2 duds in 3 mags is a lot! Could be an exceptionally bad batch? If your gun was shooting the federal fine than I am thinking it is not the gun, but the ammo. On the duds, did you check to see if there was a dent on the primer from the firing pin on your gun?

My thoughts are that your M&P doesn't like wwb. Or that you got a chitty box. On the two rounds that ftf - did you see where the firing pin struck the primer?

that winchester white box stuff? doesn't seem to have a good rep from what i see. if the gun is fine, i'd certainly shoot off an email to winchester with a photo of the primer hits on your 2 duds and explain your experience with the ammo along with the lot number from the box. i'd bet they replace the ammo.

so after finishing off the 150 rounds did you try to shoot the light strikes? I think most everyone has had a problem at one time with WWbox. I'll certainly never buy their .22 again unless it's the last box on earth.

Could be the ammo, white box is among some of the worst for quality control. Try another ammo. Cheap federal and American Eagle seem to be decent range ammo that won't break the bank.

Sometimes new guns have a break-in period. If there are any rough surfaces causing problems they may get worn smooth in 3-500 rounds. But my bet is the ammo being the problem.

WWB isn't the best ammo. I've heard about numerous issues with that particular ammo.

.45 WWB would fail to feed every 10-20 rounds in my FNP-45. Apparently the overall length of the WWB .45 was outside SAAMI specs and would bind up the mags. I think the newer .45's have slightly larger magazines to mitigate. WWB sucks.

Sometimes new guns have a break-in period. If there are any rough surfaces causing problems they may get worn smooth in 3-500 rounds. But my bet is the ammo being the problem.

This was my first thought. A large number of new guns need around 500 rounds until they smooth out. Though WWB does have a bad rep. More range time and a different ammo will give you better confidence with the gun. If you bought this to carry, I would put several boxes of your preferred carry ammo through her to see how well she performs.

WWB has been having terrible quality problems for damn near 10 yrs now. I had one .38spl refuse to feed into a revolver cylinder since the edge of the case was bent over (NEVER should have passed inspection). I've had lots of rds in 9mm stovepipe, fail to fire on first attempt (always goes off the 2nd time), etc. No problem with other mfrs ammo.

I'd look at the ammo long before thinking that the gun is a problem.

Check for a light primer strike on the duds. Sometimes the Shield slide doesn't go fully into battery but is closed enough to allow the gun to release the firing pin. Good cleaning, lube, and break-in along with making sure you slingshot the slide without riding it should cure the problem if it ain't ammo.

Check for a light primer strike on the duds. Sometimes the Shield slide doesn't go fully into battery but is closed enough to allow the gun to release the firing pin. Good cleaning, lube, and break-in along with making sure you slingshot the slide without riding it should cure the problem if it ain't ammo.
There was a dent in the primer .the R.o. said he tend to blame the ammo first. If the gun im willing to pay to get it fixed cause it seems like once some bugs are worked out its a good pistol. Also I really like it fits my small hands well I shoot it better than my full size 9. Just to add I had no problems once i swiched to a diffrent mfgs ammo.

Hi all im new here and to shooting . I recently bought a used m&p shield for my carry weapon. As far as I can tell on the box it was made on 4/417 so less than a year old. I was shooting winchester 124 grain fmj nato 150 round box from wally world. I have never used that ammo b4 . In the first 3 mags I had 2 duds and a stove pipe. I was not sure weather to blame the gun or ammo? I have not had a problem with my 9c 2.0 . I swiched to fedral 115 fmj that day and had no more issues? Any thoughts? . Thanks for your help

For breaking in a new pistol I usually use 124gr. ammo, then I switch to 115gr. But I NEVER use Winchester ammo anymore. IMHO it's all crap, especially the white box. It's the only ammo my Glock 17 doesn't like. I've had FTF, FTE and failures to go into battery with the Winchester ammo. Other than that my Glock feeds everything I put in it.

ALWAYS break down a new gun and clean it thoroughly.

The oils they use tend to get gummy from sitting, and on a semi auto, it can cause problems.

There was a dent in the primer .the R.o. said he tend to blame the ammo first. If the gun im willing to pay to get it fixed cause it seems like once some bugs are worked out its a good pistol. Also I really like it fits my small hands well I shoot it better than my full size 9. Just to add I had no problems once i swiched to a diffrent mfgs ammo.
You do realize that S&W provides a lifetime warranty and doesn't care if you are the first owner or the 61st owner, don't you?

It's almost certainly either that it needs a good cleaning and lube or the ammo and I'll vote that it is the ammo. If you try different brands and weight ammo and it still fails AND you've cleaned the gun thoroughly and lubed it, call S&W and they will Email you a pre-paid label to ship it back to them for repair. No cost to you other than dropping it off at a UPS or FedEx depot (NOT a storefront) and they are typically open until 7PM so working folks can get there.

No lie, when I saw the title of the thread I said, "I bet it's a Shield." Was not disappointed.

That said, I don't care for WWB. In general it doesn't seem to perform as well for me as Blazer brass or Aguila (if you can put up with Aguila's funny smell).

Not crazy about Magtech either, but it seems to work. Remington UMC has been fine as well.

WWB has been having terrible quality problems for damn near 10 yrs now. I had one .38spl refuse to feed into a revolver cylinder since the edge of the case was bent over (NEVER should have passed inspection). I've had lots of rds in 9mm stovepipe, fail to fire on first attempt (always goes off the 2nd time), etc. No problem with other mfrs ammo.

I'd look at the ammo long before thinking that the gun is a problem.

After using it for 100 rounds my pistol looked like someone dumped it full of glitter, based on the suggestions from an employee on what he thought was a cleaner round, at a store I went to, I tried Fiocchi, occasional hard primer but I swear this stuff is hotter than my +P Gold Dots (Which felt like I was shooting darts afterward)

Im sure hat the WWB was the prime culprit.

The shield needs a good cleaning and needs to be broken in. Just don't over oil it. IIRC the manual calls for 8 lube points with a drop of oil on each. Use a good CLP and you should be good to go.

Bob

My M&P 45 malfunctioned my first time shooting it, then again, then again, then again. It went back to S&W once, then again and then again... I traded it in and bought an H&K 45. My last S&W was a piece of shit too. I've had 3 in total and each of them had a problem(s). I'm done with that brand. Junk Junk Junk.

Every gun I own will shoot any ammo I can buy off the shelf at any store. Hollow Points, FMJ, no matter. Winchester White Box included. Winchester is decent ammo IMHO. I would much rather shoot that then Remy UMC - that stuff is as dirty as a hobo's ass.

I'd say the WWB NATO is definitely a huger factor due to the harder/sealed primers. Although that being said I've had 0 trouble with WWB through my P229, and I've shot over 1000 of them.

Last edited:
You do realize that S&W provides a lifetime warranty and doesn't care if you are the first owner or the 61st owner, don't you?

It's almost certainly either that it needs a good cleaning and lube or the ammo and I'll vote that it is the ammo. If you try different brands and weight ammo and it still fails AND you've cleaned the gun thoroughly and lubed it, call S&W and they will Email you a pre-paid label to ship it back to them for repair. No cost to you other than dropping it off at a UPS or FedEx depot (NOT a storefront) and they are typically open until 7PM so working folks can get there.
I was wondering weather or not they would honor it for the 2nd owner. Thanks

So you used WWB, had 3 malfunctions, switched to Federal, no more issues? Sounds like you've already got a good idea of what the problem was. Some guns prefer different ammo and WWB isn't exactly the good stuff.

I’ve had a shield since they first came out and never had a failure but I also don’t shoot Winchester white box. My carry ammo is either federal HST or Winchester PDX 1

Back
Top Bottom