• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

300 Blackout Build in FDE

beaker

NES Member
Update in Post 12 W/Scope Mounted

Been collecting parts for this for a while, Finally had some free time to do the painting and put it together. It is pretty lightweight, no worse than a medium contour AR, and shoots .30 cal goodness... Now I have to make some ammo [smile]

All metal parts finished in GunKote (Magpul Tan)

Parts List:

Delaware Machinery Lower (remember those?)
White Oak LPK
ALG Defense Combat Trigger
Rifle Tube/Buffer
Magpul MOE Fixed Rifle Stock and Pistol Grip

Upper Receiver (from a recent group buy)
Wilson Combat Match Grade Barrel, 300 AAC Blackout, Recon Tactical, 16", 1-8 Twist, Stainless, Fluted
Nickle Boron BCG (recent group buy)
Diamondhead VRS-T Free Float Hand Guard
Griffin Armament 7.62 Compensator-XHP762TC​

The pictures kind of suck, but here goes - Enjoy!

300BLK_5-001.jpg

300BLK_11-001.jpg

300BLK_12-001.jpg

300BLK_8-001.jpg

300BLK_10-001.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks all. Can't wait to try it out. The hand guard is the VRS - T 10.25" version with a carbine length gas tube and low profile gas block.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk Pro - typos are from the GD auto correct unless they are funny substitutions those I'll take credit for.

Nice. I've built my 300, but have only put about 20 rounds through it so far. Not reloading at the moment so I have to find factory, which is impossible. Next for me is once my current form 4 comes in, buy another suppressor for my 300.

Added the optics, Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24 on an American Defense AD-Scout-X mount. I am digging it. :)

300BLK_wOptic_2-001.jpg

300BLK_wOptic_1-001.jpg

300BLK_wOptic_7-001.jpg

Viper PST reticle (the other dots are my ceiling lights)
Viper+PST+1-005.jpg

Viper PST reticle (the other dots are my ceiling lights)
Viper+PST+1-005.jpg

No, I'm pretty sure those other lights are from that disco ball you don't want to admit is in your house.

attachment.php

[laugh2]
Great looking rifle, though. I picked up one of the Viper 1-6x PSTs a while ago, very nice scope. I've been thinking about building a 300, and still can't make up my mind between a 16" like yours; or a 10.5" for the SBR. If MA only allowed cans....

Attachments

• disco-ball-2-634694-m.jpg
    disco-ball-2-634694-m.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Disco-Ball-phuturelabs.jpg
    Disco-Ball-phuturelabs.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 122
Range Report 300 BLK Build

Well, it's been a long cold winter. But about 3 weeks ago I got out to test fire the 300BLK build.

I finally got hold of some 110g supersonic (Barnes VOR-TX), and 220g sub-sonic (Remington UMC) to test out the rifle (both factory loads).

Sub-sonic - Significant short stroking issues - every round, Bolt would not lock back on empty magazine
Supersonic - More short stroking - maybe every 1-3 rounds, Bolt would not lock back on empty magazine - still a major issue..

Well that sucked.

This 16" Wilson Combat barrel has a carbine length gas system and is indicated for sub and supersonic ammo (without a can).

I know that my gas port was the right size and clear (I checked prior to assembly) so I contacted Wilson Combat for some advice. They responded within a few hours and recommended I swap out the standard rifle buffer spring with a Wolff Reduced Pressure Rifle Buffer Spring.

I ordered one of the Wolff springs ($15), got it a couple of week ago and finally got out to the range today (what a gorgeous day to go shooting!) to evaluate.

Started with the 110g supersonic ammo - 5 rounds loaded- bang, bang, bang, bang, Bang - Bolt locks open - Excellent!
Now for the sub-sonic 220g ammo - 5 rounds loaded- bang, bang, bang, bang, Bang - Bolt locks open - Very Excellent!

I proceeded to load another 20 rounds of each (10 rounds per mag) and feeding and firing was without issue. It was 100% good to go with the spring change out.

Accuracy from the barrel was certainly better than I am capable of, with 1" groups of 5 (but I was shooting only at 50 yards) with supersonic 110g. Grouping was around 1.5"-2" with the sub-sonic stuff, and hit 6"-7" lower than the supersonic ammo at 50 yards.

This rifle is very lightweight, and while it ain't no .308 Winchester, stuff on the berm explodes a lot more dramatically than with 223. [smile]
I'm very happy with it at this point.

Other notes:
  • My Uplula 223 loader worked perfectly with the 300 blackout ammo (no surprise there) but worth noting
  • The Griffen 308 muzzle brake is just awesome, best brake I have used to date. There was virtually no muzzle rise, and noise was well abated, no huge side blast either. I am going to swap out the Troy Claymore on my backup AR with the 223 version of this brake.
  • The Vortex PST 1-4 was also excellent
  • The Vortex branded flip open covers really suck, and I can't recommend those.

Last edited:
Subsonic is definitely lower on the sound level. Boom is much more base on 300 blk especially supersonic vs the sharp higher pitched snap sound of 223. Recoil is non existent for subsonic, much more pronounced for super but still no worse than 223 - Maybe even less.

Was there a discernible difference in sound levels with the subsonic rounds? How about compared to .223?

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk Pro - typos are from the GD auto correct unless they are funny substitutions those I'll take credit for.

Subsonic is definitely lower on the sound level. Boom is much more base on 300 blk especially supersonic vs the sharp higher pitched snap sound of 223. Recoil is non existent for subsonic, much more pronounced for super but still no worse than 223 - Maybe even less.

Thanks for that. Now, to see which SBR uppers will run non-suppressed...

Back
Top Bottom