• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.300 Win Mag Shoulder (ouch)

Infinite Jester

Navy Veteran
My wife has a coworker at the hospital that we've kind of adopted. He's a 30 year old single guy from Florida that moved up here to work as a surgical tech. He's a good kid, and he comes around on weekends when my wife does her best home cooking. Saturday morning he called me to tell me he just picked up a 300 Win Mag. He knows I'm pretty decent with zeroing scopes, so we head over to the range. No Bueno. The local small town cops were training. Decided we'd go on Sunday. Yesterday we head over around 1, and being a quiet, no-frills country range, we had the rifle range to ourselves. Now I don't hunt, so my taste in firearms run 5.56 and 7.62. Lined up the shot at 100 yds, pulled the trigger, and it felt like my wife's horse kicked my shoulder. [shocked] He brought a box of 20 rounds, but I think I got the glass zeroed in with the least amount of shots possible. [laugh] He took over and after about 10 rounds was done for the day. I made him promise to take a selfie with the bruise he would have today. We switched to my less painful toys for the rest of the afternoon. He dropped me off and hung around talking till my wife invited him to stay for the Caldo Verde with Beef Shank and Chorizo she made.

My take? You guys that shoot those big hunting rounds are tough bastards. I'm 6', 185lbs and in great shape, but the 300 Win Mag is a beast.

300 win mag ~2960fps with 180gr NAB
300 Wby mag ~3250fps with 180gr NAB

The most I can comfortably shoot is about 10 from my Weatherby, more than that I get 'punchy' and a slight headache- even with plugs and muffs.

I WAS shooting a .338 ultra mag, but switched DOWN to a .300 win mag for elk hunting in CO. It hurts a lot less now, but zeroing it in is still a biyatch.

Recoil can get you punch drunk.
The 300 win mag in a hunting platform is a good kick.

Heh, I had a .300 win mag in a super lightweight T/C single shot rifle. ( with the JP rifles Patton break.) It recoiled like a 20 gauge with bird shot. However my father has a Winchester featherweight model 70 in .300 wby, and we call that bastard "the evil thing"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot depends on the weight of the rifle. My friend's big, heavy Barrett .50 bolt action with that big arrowhead muzzle break hurts much less than my 35Whelen-improved that's a thin barreled hunting rifle.

Some of it is technique. I've bruised my shoulder when I was too focused on the sight/wind/trigger and not paying attention to snuggling up firmly to the butt. Also, a sissy-pad really helps. Limbsaver butt-pads are great.

I fired it the wrist is no problem for me its a 2x rebuild on the rotator cuff that caused me the issue.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

I fired a .375H&H once out of a Ruger No. 1 and it sucked big time. At least you can say you did it now.

It's more than just weight I think. Check out the NULA (New Ulta Light Arms) rigs. that guy builds super light rifles that shoot hot magnums and people swear they aren't bad on recoil. Supposedly the shape of the stock transfers the recoil forces better or something.

His Model 28 shoots 338 wing mag and only weighs 6lbs.

My take? You guys that shoot those big hunting rounds are tough bastards. I'm 6', 185lbs and in great shape, but the 300 Win Mag is a beast.

Thanks for the compliment. It takes a real man to admit it hurts, so anybody that does is OK by me.

There's far worse than a 300 Win Mag out there, and I've got a couple of them (458 Win Mauser Mark X and 338 Lapua Rem 700P).

Where does the .338 Lapua fit in terms of recoil in comparison to the .300 win mag, 50 cal Barrett and others?

338 Lapua is considerably more than the 300 Win Mag, but less than the 50 BMG.

It's more than just weight I think. Check out the NULA (New Ulta Light Arms) rigs. that guy builds super light rifles that shoot hot magnums and people swear they aren't bad on recoil. Supposedly the shape of the stock transfers the recoil forces better or something.

His Model 28 shoots 338 wing mag and only weighs 6lbs.

It is far more than weight. I used to have a Rem Mohawk 600 in 308 and a Rem 722 in 300 Wby (obviously a single shot and not a factory option). The 600 was "box stock", including the plastic butt plate and stock. Light weight, for sure (still have it, still a 308, but MUCH heavier, as in IBS Hunter class rifle, about 10 pounds with Hart barrel and McMillan stock) and the 722 was heavier with an aftermarket stock that pretty much absorbed recoil.

I had a Rem 700 Classic in 264 Win Mag (original stock) and it was pretty much a beast from bags.

And yes, recoil wise, shooting on bags from a bench is worse than prone, and prone is worse than offhand.

The 2 rifles I've fired with heavy recoil 375 H&H and heavy loaded 45/70 both were Ruger No 1s.
Fired while standing up and not sure if I'd want to shoot more than a few rounds from a bench. If the math I did is correct recoil was in the 50 ft/lb range.

I dunno. I think those of us that have complained about recoil need to hand in our man-cards, or at least get one corner clipped off.

This is Minininjer at the GPP shoot taking 1 of her 3 shots with a 10ga.[shocked][laugh]

Minininjer%2010ga_zpsdptvs6et.gif

I dunno. I think those of us that have complained about recoil need to hand in our man-cards, or at least get one corner clipped off.

This is Minininjer at the GPP shoot taking 1 of her 3 shots with a 10ga.[shocked][laugh]

I'll tell you, if she was going to be there this year, I do believe she'd accept the offer to shoot the 458 with 500 grain hollow points. I'll have some 300 loads as well, plus a few loaded down to about 45/70 trapdoor ballistics.

My wife has a coworker at the hospital that we've kind of adopted. He's a 30 year old single guy from Florida that moved up here to work as a surgical tech. He's a good kid, and he comes around on weekends when my wife does her best home cooking. Saturday morning he called me to tell me he just picked up a 300 Win Mag. He knows I'm pretty decent with zeroing scopes, so we head over to the range. No Bueno. The local small town cops were training. Decided we'd go on Sunday. Yesterday we head over around 1, and being a quiet, no-frills country range, we had the rifle range to ourselves. Now I don't hunt, so my taste in firearms run 5.56 and 7.62. Lined up the shot at 100 yds, pulled the trigger, and it felt like my wife's horse kicked my shoulder. [shocked] He brought a box of 20 rounds, but I think I got the glass zeroed in with the least amount of shots possible. [laugh] He took over and after about 10 rounds was done for the day. I made him promise to take a selfie with the bruise he would have today. We switched to my less painful toys for the rest of the afternoon. He dropped me off and hung around talking till my wife invited him to stay for the Caldo Verde with Beef Shank and Chorizo she made.

Were you anxious and irritable with temporary PTSD for at least an hour afterwards?

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/firing-ar-15-horrifying-dangerous-loud-article-1.2673201

(Sorry brother, couldn't help it [smile])

I'll tell you, if she was going to be there this year, I do believe she'd accept the offer to shoot the 458 with 500 grain hollow points. I'll have some 300 loads as well, plus a few loaded down to about 45/70 trapdoor ballistics.

I ain't no pussy. I have shot jarhead66's .375H&H before and it was awesome! What recoil? Just kidding, no bruising but I nearly fell off the bench I shot it from. To be fair, I only had 1 foot on the ground to stabilize myself. The other foot was under my body because the bench is too low for that table for me [laugh]

Nickle, thanks for the offer but I won't be there for pumpkins [sad] And you are correct, I'd accept your offer. Next time!

Last edited:
I have a .300wsm featherlight, it kicks but no worse than a 12ga. I'm used to shooting fairly hard hitting calibers though, hunting a lot of years tends to get you used to it.

I wouldn't want to spend a day bench shooting a .300, but I swear the most brutal rifle I've shot to date was my BIL's Winchester model 70 featherweight in 30-06.
I have the standard model 70 and I could shoot it all day , but that little bastard was evil.
And high five to Mini , you got not a bit of quit in you girl. [rockon]

I wouldn't want to spend a day bench shooting a .300, but I swear the most brutal rifle I've shot to date was my BIL's Winchester model 70 featherweight in 30-06.
I have the standard model 70 and I could shoot it all day , but that little bastard was evil.
And high five to Mini , you got not a bit of quit in you girl. [rockon]

Hah, my dad has the same rifle in .300 win mag, model 70 featherweight, beautiful guns. I used it last year to shoot my moose, never noticed the kick too much adrenaline.

I had a Ruger#1 in .375 h&h. I didn't think it was that bad at all. A heavy push to be sure, but not painful.
I also had a trim little Husquvarna in 30-06. That thing was no joy to shoot. Way too snappy. .300 is a snappy hurt.

Back
Top Bottom