300+ yard ranges in Mass

Anybody know of any 300+ yard ranges around Mass, or maybe NH, and are they open to the public as well? I’m familiar with the Sig Sauer Academy but they’re a little pricey.

I cant think of any others that would allow non member general public walk on and shoot. Reading always had some sort of match going on. Have not been in some tine but theres usually something for everyone. Im going to try and get to one of the 600 yard any rifle any sight matches this year.

Does Reading have any events open to the public? I would think about joining but I’m already a member of a club in my town. I know my club is open to the public on Sundays

Last edited:
There's a 300 yard at Taunton. You need to be a member (exceptions at the discretion of the Eboard and with a RSO present) and qualify. Just about a 1 year waiting list for membership at the moment.

Does Reading have any events open to the public? I would think about joining but I’m already a member of a club in my town. I know my club is open to the public on Sundays
I think every rifle match is open to the public. Unless it is a special "members only" match.

Taunton R&P and Somerset Sportsman's both have 300s but you gotta be in the club.

Copicut has a 300 but you gotta join that one too. What about Woodcock? That place still open? that one was like 500/600 yards.

In the past, Reading had high power rifle matches on Sundays. Oddly, I don't see them on their calendar, so I don't know if they are still going on. Any Reading members able to update us?

These are organized matches with very particular rules. It's not like you just show up and shoot whatever, however.

Same.

I know if I wanted to get into longer distance (beyond 100 yards) shooting, I’d just join Harvard. Then again I’m shooting IDPA/USPSA matches there all the time so finding a sponsor would be extremely easy.
Harvard is actually cheaper than Cape Ann Sportsman’s Club and CASC only has a tiny tiny fraction of what Harvard has to offer.

Please, elaborate.
New liaison officer at Devens raised what were very reasonable use fees to a fee structure that essentially stopped the high power matches. Someone will likely chime in who has better detail, but that's the gist of it. Camp Ethan Allen in VT doing the same thing and there are those who think there could have been some centralized pressure to push out the civilian clubs.

New liaison officer at Devens raised what were very reasonable use fees to a fee structure that essentially stopped the high power matches. Someone will likely chime in who has better detail, but that's the gist of it. Camp Ethan Allen in VT doing the same thing and there are those who think there could have been some centralized pressure to push out the civilian clubs.
did they indeed want to push out civilians, or was it just a miscalculated effort to boost potential profits?

did they indeed want to push out civilians, or was it just a miscalculated effort to boost potential profits?
Being government sites, it's not really a profit oriented issue. It's possible they are simply trying to push some of their budget on the civilian use, but as I recall the fees were very high and somewhat arbitrary. Only the insiders will know for certain.

Hardwick Rod and Gun

300+ yards, have to be a member and its only like 70 a year, maybe less, no hours.

They have a fairly nice steel pistol range and a three gun setup as well.

In the past, Reading had high power rifle matches on Sundays. Oddly, I don't see them on their calendar, so I don't know if they are still going on. Any Reading members able to update us?

These are organized matches with very particular rules. It's not like you just show up and shoot whatever, however.
The Highpower Rifle calendar over at Nashua F&G has Reading schedule (as well as Nashua, Pelham, and Scarborough).

I think what he meant is that the gun club at Devens is done. Not that Reading is done.
Yes. Reading is open as far as I know. I’m a member of the Devens club but never shot over there as they only shot on Tuesdays and Tuesdays are really busy at work. In any event, the military folks at the base want to charge an arm and a leg to use the ranges even though the Devens clubs bring everything they need bar the electricity. So, my understanding is a peeing match is under way with no solution in sight.

Yes. Reading is open as far as I know. I’m a member of the Devens club but never shot over there as they only shot on Tuesdays and Tuesdays are really busy at work. In any event, the military folks at the base want to charge an arm and a leg to use the ranges even though the Devens clubs bring everything they need bar the electricity. So, my understanding is a peeing match is under way with no solution in sight.
The post commander just about ruined the hunting program at devens. She started requiring that anyone wanting to hunt devens needs to bring any fire arm that will be brought on post to the dod police station 3 weeks prior to the season to have the serial numbers recorded.....and changed the structure to only allowing 20 per day during deer season. When you arrive at range control they check the sn on your gun to be sure it matches what's on file. Used to be 100 per day......ffs there is plenty of room to spread out at devens south post the did 100 a day for decades with non-issue.

Back
Top Bottom