308 Bullet weight for black bear?

If this should be in the reloading forum feel free to move

I recently picked up a used 308 Mossberg MVP Patrol from the classifieds, with the intention of using it for Black bear. I plan on loading my own ammo. The options for powder and projectiles has been pretty slim. I was able to get some IMR 4895. For projectiles I got Hornady 168gr BTHP, and 165gr SST.

Are those projectiles going to be heavy enough and retain enough mass to incapacitate the animal? I thought about looking for 180s but the rifle has a relatively short barrel as far as 308s go. I opted for a slightly lighter bullet, with plans to load just below max in order to get it moving fast. I don’t expect to be shooting past 300yds. More realistically I prob won’t be shooting past 150.

I’m on the hunt for some Varget, BL-C2, 2495, to try out some other options and see what works the best

Last edited:
I don’t truly know the answer to your question. I do know the Hornady 168 bthp is extremely accurate in my rifle, and I can hit steel out to 800 yards quite reliably.

On one hand Hornady lists my bthp bullet as a target bullet so I would say not. On the other hand I seen ballistic gel tests (YouTube) where in 6.5 creedmore the eld match target bullet did as well or better than the eld X hunting bullet so go figure.

im watching this thread to see what others think

Borrow a 45/70 guide gun if not black bear. Big brown bear may need a few rounds if he is coming at you. Having said that, heavy and accurate are your friends. So I hear.

.308 Win is plenty. My experience is over bait in Northern ME so the distances are much shorter than you're anticipating. Some of my experience hunting black bear is also with .30-06. I've settled on Federal Fusion 165 grain for both of those cartridges. Federal announced (pre-Covid, I think) that this would be made available to the reloading market but I've yet to see it. If you're reloading, Hornady SST 165 grain should also be a good choice for the longer distances.

You can use just about any expanding bullet out of a 308 for New England black bear. These aren’t big scary western bears.

Just make sure you don’t orphan some cubs.

Use 180's in a good hunting bullet. Sierra Gamekings, Remington Corelocks, Winchester whatever.

Do NOT use hpbt's!!
Pat's spot on here....

180 Grain Soft Point would be my choice. Even a hard cast solid. You want penetration and exit wounds. Bear fat plugs holes up so two holes are better than one.

Leave the SST type expanding tips at home, not that it wont kill a bear, but if you hit a bone or something solid it may not penetrate on a big bear. And its very unlikely to exit.
If the bear runs, and you have no exit wound and no blood to follow you'll then be looking for a wounded bear without a track in thick brush. Not good.

I recently picked up a used 308 Mossberg MVP Patrol from the classifieds, with the intention of using it for Black bear. I plan on loading my own ammo. The options for powder and projectiles has been pretty slim. I was able to get some IMR 4895. For projectiles I got Hornady 168gr BTHP, and 165gr SST.

Are those projectiles going to be heavy enough and retain enough mass to incapacitate the animal? I thought about looking for 180s but the rifle has a relatively short barrel as far as 308s go. I opted for a slightly lighter bullet, with plans to load just below max in order to get it moving fast. I don’t expect to be shooting past 300yds. More realistically I prob won’t be shooting past 150.

I’m on the hunt for some Varget, BL-C2, 2495, to try out some other options and see what works the best
Where will you be hunting black bear and expect shots from 150 to 300 yards?

Use 180's in a good hunting bullet. Sierra Gamekings, Remington Corelocks, Winchester whatever.

Do NOT use hpbt's!!
This! HPBT's are for punching paper. Others mentioned above are all good options. I'd probably use 165 SP's however, as they are closer to loads that I know well and have not spent any time messing with 180's in my 308 semi's.

Be sure your mag capacity is in line with local hunting law.

On black bear I’ve used 165 sp Hornady (3045) w varget. Knocks them dead.

Dave
Varget? What are you doing, flexing on the poors? I hear teams of roving bandits are hitting up gun owner homes and ignoring the firearms in favor of nabbing bottles or jugs of Varget. [laugh]

I use Barnes TTSX. I loaded up both 130s and 150s and decided to go with the additional speed of the 130s.

For what you have I would use the 165 SST and source some CFE 223 which is pretty easy to get right now. Although you won’t lose much velocity with the IMR 4895 based on looking at some load data.

Do NOT use hpbt's!!
HPBT's are for punching paper.
That’s been the plan all along with those. New rifle to me and need something to use to get a good feel for the rifle. Was more so outlining what I had available.

Be sure your mag capacity is in line with local hunting law.
It’s a bolt gun, and I’ve only got a few 10rnd mags for it.

Just make sure you don’t orphan some cubs.
Of course not, not completely retarded.

Where will you be hunting black bear and expect shots from 150 to 300 yards?
On a farm. From my blind to where he usually leaves the woods is 218, the edge of the corn field is 186 and the center of the field is 104. He has absolutely decimated this guys field for the second year in a row. He wants this thing gone. He lets us Goose and Turkey hunt there, so I feel inclined to help him out and maybe pack away some meat in my freezer.

For what you have I would use the 165 SST and source some CFE 223 which is pretty easy to get right now. Although you won’t lose much velocity with the IMR 4895 based on looking at some load data.
I found some 165gr CX (Copper Expanding) and I’m going to try those. I do have a ton of CFE223 for loading 556. I’m still hoping to find some Varget, SW Tactical Rifle. But the data for that bullet says I should be able to get that bullet up around 2600fps with CFE223.

That’s been the plan all along with those. New rifle to me and need something to use to get a good feel for the rifle. Was more so outlining what I had available.

It’s a bolt gun, and I’ve only got a few 10rnd mags for it.

Of course not, not completely retarded.

On a farm. From my blind to where he usually leaves the woods is 218, the edge of the corn field is 186 and the center of the field is 104. He has absolutely decimated this guys field for the second year in a row. He wants this thing gone. He lets us Goose and Turkey hunt there, so I feel inclined to help him out and maybe pack away some meat in my freezer.

I found some 165gr CX (Copper Expanding) and I’m going to try those. I do have a ton of CFE223 for loading 556. I’m still hoping to find some Varget, SW Tactical Rifle. But the data for that bullet says I should be able to get that bullet up around 2600fps with CFE223.

I can send you Hornady load data that has CFE223 100FPS hotter than VARGET with the 165s. Let me know and I can send you the data.

I see. I didn’t realize there was a rifle season in MA so I assumed you were further north. Good luck, and let us know how you do.
There are three black bear seasons in MA; rifle is acceptable in the first two, the third mirrors our deer seasons.

Page 30 of the abstracts has more info.

What part of the state are you ?
Not knowing the field you hunting or the distance between the woods edge and the corn field edge. I'm thinking at least you should be setting up a lot closer.

If your close by I have lots of suitable bullets.
I've shot at least half a dozen bears in this state.
My BIL we brought out for his first time ever hunting.
He got his within an hour.....he's ruined now....lol

20210907_191351~2.jpg

the 165gr SST's will work fine, I've hunted black bear with everything from a 6" GP100 in .357 Mag, up to 200gr Nosler partitions out of .300 Weatherby Mag. and they all drop em just fine. Black bear are not crazy tough like a big Grizzly, but still, shot placement is everything, even with a rifle.

The 308 with 180 grains going down range is good enough for ANY game in North America up to say a brown bear...

More animals have died at the hands of the 30-06 than any other cartridge and that cartridge is the long and skinny twin of the .308.

More animals have died at the hands of the 30-06 than any other cartridge and that cartridge is the long and skinny twin of the .308

Where did you get that from ?

As far as rifles go I'd think it would be the 22 LR

More animals have died at the hands of the 30-06 than any other cartridge and that cartridge is the long and skinny twin of the .308

Where did you get that from ?

As far as rifles go I'd think it would be the 22 LR
I hear that same phrase when people talk about 30-30. Now 30-06? 😂

Back
Top Bottom