308 bullet wieght question

I have been looking to buy a good amount of ammo to keep in the ammo suplies and have been researching prices. I am looking for it to run through my scar 17s and sig 716 but through both I have only run 168 gr ammo. I noticed some deals online for some lakecity bulk but it is 147gr. This isn't an issue for me but have read some people saying you have to play around with the gas regulator for the lighter 308 rouns sometimes. So my question is what in your opinion is the "ideal" battle rifle 308 round and how hard is tinkering with the gas system if it does shoot crappy on the light stuff.

147 gr for battle rifles,most battle rifles(if not all) are rifled for that weight.It's NATO standard I believe.

Adjusting the gas system is easy,at least it is on the FAL.I doubt you would even have to do any adjusting going from 168 to 147.Adjust the gas system too much and the brass flies a really long distance,too little and it turns your semi into a bolt gun.

Yup my buddies SCAR loves em! My M1A too... Standard NATO issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For bullk I always buy the battle packs in 147 or 150 . It's much cheaper when you want to just stock up. I keep at least 2 full 200 rd battle packs . My m1a and my LaRue have no issues without messing with the gas. The lighter weight just calls for a little sight adjustment.

Back
Top Bottom