308 Garand / Modern Military

Mac, Mountain and any other interested parties:

The rumor at the Eastern Games was that the CMP now allows the 308 Garand in the Modern Military Match.

Really trying to find some participation or what?

I'm still surprised that seeing as how ARs dominate the club scene (at least where I go) that more people don't go to the matches with them.

Interesting! There were countries issuing .308 Garands in the 'modern ' era, correct? They should allow the Italian rechambered and slightly shorter versions too.

Glad they DQ'd the float tube. Shooting a MM AR with sling takes finesse not necessary with a float tube. I learned The hard way not to yank like hell on the MM sling and later heard experienced comments regarding the same.

I kind of want to shoot the June 11 MM with my AK and Golden Tiger. Or my SKS maybe.

Welp my AK is listed at 7.5 to "approx. 7 lbs" depending on where I google. 7 lbs. max weight since it's stamped receiver. Probably too heavy. Switching to polymer furniture from wood might help but I wouldn't go to that trouble.

SKS might be the ticket then. To be honest slow fire loading would probably be easier from the top compared to AK. I'm guessing I could do a stripper clip with 8 rds for rapid fire after loading two on empty chamber?

I wish I had a FAL [sad] would probably be my first free state/AWB miraculously lifted rifle purchase. M1A might be an option.

I have set June 11 aside now on my calendar. Planning on M1 match and hopefully MM as well.

By the way, anyone know if OCSA will ever get the results submitted/loaded for the CMP competition tracker? It would be nice to be able to track my improvement/decline/stagnation. I guess I could take a photo of score card but digital would be easier. Didn't take one of my card last autumn so I don't really remember any details.

You'll be fine either way, no one is weighing your rifle at Old Colony.
I figured that might be the case. The Yugoslavian M59/66A1 SKS has the flip up night sights which actually kind of help on the rear sight, the dots behave almost like three dot pistol sights for me, and help. I usually leave the front one down since it obscures too much.
5 + 5 might be easier
5.4.4(g) talks about 2 + 8 like Garands but with detachable mags. Doesn't really matter to me, would prefer to use a clip though. Since OCSA seems a little laid back it probably doesn't matter.

Not sure how I would handle the sling situation since the sling mounts are not like they are on AR/M1, with the front one off to the side.

Semi auto you need to load 2 rounds then 8 rounds on the rapids.
Unless some how your semi auto was limited to 5 round capacity.
As for the scores. They are sent in that's all I know why cmp does not post them?
I gave up personally. Take photos of your score cards log them on a thumb drive and if you need them for some sort of match classification or what ever they are at least logged.
As for a sling with the sks. Toss a GI web loop sling on it and see if you can make it work. Might be hard if you have long arms?
I might run my SKS also.

Semi auto you need to load 2 rounds then 8 rounds on the rapids.
Unless some how your semi auto was limited to 5 round capacity.
As for the scores. They are sent in that's all I know why cmp does not post them?
I gave up personally. Take photos of your score cards log them on a thumb drive and if you need them for some sort of match classification or what ever they are at least logged.
As for a sling with the sks. Toss a GI web loop sling on it and see if you can make it work. Might be hard if you have long arms?
I might run my SKS also.
Mine has a leather (presumably Yugoslavian) sling that it came with along with the oiler, cleaning kit, etc. Not useful for shooting. Could order another GI web one or switch my CMP one from the service grade. The CMP special I would use in the M1 match has a Ron Brown 1907 sling.
AK is slingless currently, but the sling mounts are in the same spots I believe.
With the CMP tracker it's weird because other matches do have results up. I'll just have to take a picture. At least I have my CMP competitor number now, ha.

I don't know if I'm going to have time to work up M1 loads for 200 yds that will be desirable other than guessing. Debating whether to try to adjust for the 70 or so I have loaded right now on the light side or just run HXP. Gotta watch out for that HXP flier though [grin]. Maybe if I just crank the sights up and lob those 30-06 in there.

There were plenty of ARs shooting MM including a couple guys in our group. They still have to align to the rules - overall weight, trigger weight, features, etc. The guy in front of me at the rifle inspection table get told he couldn't shoot his AR in MM because of a float tube.

I shot a borrowed M1A for MM.
he CAN shoot just OOC out of competition. As long as there is room on the line.

Mine has a leather (presumably Yugoslavian) sling that it came with along with the oiler, cleaning kit, etc. Not useful for shooting. Could order another GI web one or switch my CMP one from the service grade. The CMP special I would use in the M1 match has a Ron Brown 1907 sling.
AK is slingless currently, but the sling mounts are in the same spots I believe.
With the CMP tracker it's weird because other matches do have results up. I'll just have to take a picture. At least I have my CMP competitor number now, ha.

I don't know if I'm going to have time to work up M1 loads for 200 yds that will be desirable other than guessing. Debating whether to try to adjust for the 70 or so I have loaded right now on the light side or just run HXP. Gotta watch out for that HXP flier though [grin]. Maybe if I just crank the sights up and lob those 30-06 in there.

seriousy run 46 grains of H4895/Varget/748 behind a 155 or 168 that load will hold the 10 ring all day. The rifle and shooter is factor not included.

seriouly though sling up go prone with a sand bag supporting your FRONT SUPPORTING ARM
shoot a 20 shot slow fire at 100 or 200 yards what ever you have. Dont even worry about where on the target your impacting just as long as your hitting it. Take 25 min or so to shoot the 20 rounds.
This will give a good indication of how you your gun and ammo will do. I dont care if you use HXP, Federal gold medal match or a basic reload... post the results and we will go from there.

some where between 6 and 12 clicks up should get you on paper at 100 yards... then adjust accordingly. my gun base zero for 200 yards i use for the JCG matches is 12 clicks up. lighting will play on that though. it was pretty bright out last match and i ended up at 14 and could have used another 2 clicks....but i found a little hick up in my rear aperture on 15 and 16 clicks it jumps n 14 i was hitting low 10s high 9s when i clicked up 2 clicks i hit low 8s high 9s! should have been top of 10 ring! o well

Last edited:
seriousy run 46 grains of H4895/Varget/748 behind a 155 or 168 that load will hold the 10 ring all day. The rifle and shooter is factor not included.

seriouly though sling up go prone with a sand bag supporting your FRONT SUPPORTING ARM
shoot a 20 shot slow fire at 100 or 200 yards what ever you have. Dont even worry about where on the target your impacting just as long as your hitting it. Take 25 min or so to shoot the 20 rounds.
This will give a good indication of how you your gun and ammo will do. I dont care if you use HXP, Federal gold medal match or a basic reload... post the results and we will go from there.

some where between 6 and 12 clicks up should get you on paper at 100 yards... then adjust accordingly. my gun base zero for 200 yards i use for the JCG matches is 12 clicks up. lighting will play on that though. it was pretty bright out last match and i ended up at 14 and could have used another 2 clicks....but i found a little hick up in my rear aperture on 15 and 16 clicks it jumps n 14 i was hitting low 10s high 9s when i clicked up 2 clicks i hit low 8s high 9s! should have been top of 10 ring! o well
Sounds like a plan. I have 40 something 30-06 brass already primed and ready. I've got plenty of Varget on hand, I'll do 46gr under 168gr Nosler custom comps and give it a go. I think my SG took 8 clicks for 100 yds. Haven't fired the special yet but would start there. All 20 on same target or spread out? I guess it doesn't matter as a baseline.

SKS unfortunately isn't as easy to adjust. I have to low 6 o'clock hold at 100 and I assume it was sighted for 200-300 yds at Zastava. I do have the adjustment tool if needed I guess.

At any rate this will make me get in gear and not procrastinate any more.

Also, is M1A Socom good to go for MM as long as it's irons and equal to/less than M14/M1A listed weight?

Probably? Unsure how it works at an actual CMP Games Match. We had to sign up for our relays ahead of time when we registered. The CMP Armorer said the guy could shoot in Service Rifle but not MM. The rifle in question looked more like a Range Toy versus a Target Rifle, maybe the guy was local and just showed up with it to see what would happen.

per cmp rules he can be allowed to shoot OOC IF there is a slot open in a relay he will just shoot out OOC.
or as you mentioned they can place him in a match the director says would be appropriate.
The MM rules are a CF CMP basically should just open a class 10lbs or less 4.5# trigger any sights any optics and end it.
the intent i believe for MM was to indeed get the shooters with the range toys to come out and play.
I dont think it worked?

Back
Top Bottom