308 suggestion for deer hunting

I wanted to see what people would suggest for a 308 round to fit my needs.

The rifle is a 308 AR with an 18" barrel. Intended target range will be within 150 yards, and most likely, most will be within 75 yards, so I want something that will be effective well inside of 100 yards. The short barrel will reduce velocity somewhat, which will help, but I'm thinking a heavier bullet that's designed to expand at higher velocities would still be best.

My current round is the 180 grain Remington Core Lokt, but I seem to be getting poor accuracy with it. My groups are about twice as large with the Core Lokt than with cheap ball ammo. I would like to find something that groups at least as well as the cheap stuff, but with the short range knock down power that I need.

TTSX are amazing. For standard Walmart stuff, I used a winchester Silvertip 150gr marked for deer hunting 2 years ago and it dropped the deer like he was hit by lightning at 70 yards. He jumped once took a step and was dead. 16" barrel.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

How large are the groups, within the kill zone of a buck? You know about no FMJ for hunting, right? Jack.?

I'm not hunting with FMJ. I currently use Core Lokt, which is a soft point round. My problem is that my rifle doesn't shoot it well. The only stuff I hunt with the FMJ is steel targets and water bottles, but the fact that my groups with cheap FMJ are 1/2 the size of my Core Lokt groups are what tells me that I need a new hunting round.

TTSX's will expand at pretty much all velocities and stay together even when they hit bone.

They're awesome bullets.

There was a high speed video of the ttsx expanding in an apple or something like that. They are pricey but amazing. Not sure if it makes sense if youre looking for FMJ pricing so compare them to others.

I'm not looking for fmj prices. It's not like I'm going to go through a lot of the stuff once I find a round that the gun likes. It's finding that round that'll be expensive.

Actually I lied. I used winchester power max bonded. I don't know why I said Silvertip lol. These smoked a deer at 75 yards. He died incredibly fast. Double lung shot low in the lungs.
0a49c46fa3993f2142d6b2174f95bc05.jpg

If your rifle likes the cheap fmj ammo, then I'd try a soft point in about the same weight. 180 grains seems a bit heavy for deer anyway.

Hornady superformance SST 150gr 308s are super fast and shoot very accurately from my rifles. They are all copper and tipped and expand at high velocity.

I picked up a box of Barnes VOR-TX 308 that uses the TTSX bullets, and a box of the Hornady Custom that uses a 350 grain SST bullet. Hopefully sometime before deer season I'll have time to try them out and see how they group in my rifle.

My friends son got all hot and bothered with Remington Hog ammo....although his go to is Nosler Accubonds I don't think hes running his reloads at full house and from the stories what ever he hits drops.

Remember though in hunting the shot that matters is the cold bore shot then a possible follow up....so groups are bit less important. If your first shot is on the crosshairs your doing well

Last edited:
I picked up a box of Barnes VOR-TX 308 that uses the TTSX bullets, and a box of the Hornady Custom that uses a 350 grain SST bullet. Hopefully sometime before deer season I'll have time to try them out and see how they group in my rifle.

350 grains should nock them flat just from the mass of impact!

Back
Top Bottom