308 Uppers

SS1

What are the options for a LR308 upper build
And Are the 308/7.62x51 the same ?
Or is it compared to the 2.23/5.56 where you can shoot one thru the other but not the reverse ?
Looking to build a 18" HBAR upper in the $500 range for hunting Deer/Boar, Maybe 300-600 yrds
Thank You for any Info

Or is it compared to the 2.23/5.56 where you can shoot one thru the other but not the reverse ?
Looking to build a 18" HBAR upper in the $500 range for hunting Deer/Boar, Maybe 300-600 yrds
Thank You for any Info
I’d get an Aero upper after seeing mountains range report

For some reason a shop can't get my Aero upper,lower,handguard with Ballistics advantage BCG and criterion barrel to cycle... Still waiting on a solution.

for the 7.62x51/308 Winchester question, it's the inverse of the 5.56/.223 alignment. 308 Winchester is the higher pressure/etc. version of the set. I'd make damned sure the barrel is marked as 308 Winchester and/or both and not JUST NATO.

I plan to finish up a 308 Winchester upper in the next week or two. Using a Colombia River Arms barrel (308 Winchester) for that. Depending on what you want for features, it's sometimes easier to simply buy the parts and put it together yourself. Unless you can locate a completed upper with the features you want. My first AR10 is with a purchased complete upper (bought some years back).

Thank You for any Info
Personally, I'd skip the HBAR profile and go with a lighter 16" barrel, a 308 gas gun is going to be heavy enough as it is.

For some reason a shop can't get my Aero upper,lower,handguard with Ballistics advantage BCG and criterion barrel to cycle... Still waiting on a solution.
Watch some of jp enterprises /rifles youtube videos.
That's what ive been doing in preparation and research.
They seem pretty knowledgeable

Watch some of jp enterprises /rifles youtube videos.
That's what ive been doing in preparation and research.
They seem pretty knowledgeable
I thought I did my research and bought all same brand parts. Aero owns BA now so I figured the BCG was the same. The shops communication sucks so I'm not even sure where I stand. I'd guess it was the buffer and not the gas port. I'm calling tomorrow.

I thought I did my research and bought all same brand parts. Aero owns BA now so I figured the BCG was the same. The shops communication sucks so I'm not even sure where I stand. I'd guess it was the buffer and not the gas port. I'm calling tomorrow.
Did you check that the bolt would go back far enough to hold back on the bolt catch?
If you used a "standard" 7" tube (as opposed to an "ar/308" specific 7 3/4"one) then it needs a 2 1/2" short tungsten weighted buffer to have adequate travel for the longer 308 bolt.
I've heard rumor that even factory aero m5's have been known to be victim to this...

I'm chucking/selling my aero upper receiver an BA barrel real soon.

Dont want to support companies that won't ship anything to MA.

Good riddance and sionara.

I'm chucking/selling my aero upper receiver an BA barrel real soon.

Dont want to support companies that won't ship anything to MA.

Good riddance and sionara.
BA would until they were bought by / merged with Aero. Personally, I don't hold a grudge with Aero as they are a small company without the legal budget to combat the bullying from our AG. They have an extensive dealer network that does ship to Mass and you are not going to get Aero parts any cheaper.

@SS1 , indeed I recommend the Aero uppers with BA barrels. If 600 yards is a realistic goal, I strongly recommend the 18" BA heavy taper fluted 'Premium Series' barrels. Nice to have at 300, but 600 gets challenging enough without have 1 MOA or better accuracy and you want the 18" for velocity. 20" would be better but that starts getting heavy. Regardless of rifle, I don't think hunting ethically at 600 is realistic, but if you are trying to drop feral hogs there's not as much concern for a clean kill- the greater goal is simply eradication. Long range hog dropping usually doesn't involve humping the rifle around on foot, at least not very much.

If you think you are likely to hunt deer in the Southeast, you are probably GTG with anything accurate enough for 200 yards and there's a good chance you have to carry around that rifle. For that, I'd go with a BA 16" government profile barrel. Yes there are other good barrels out there but these I know and they have been an incredible value.

I’d get an Aero upper after seeing mountains range report
only potential downside of that is that a primaryarms complete aero uppers in 18" and 20" go for about of $550-$600 without BCG, which is to my taste a bit $100 too much, so if one wants to cut down costs it can be done cheaper, potentially, but, with more potential PITA issues compared to a complete upper acquisition.

right now all i see at PA is a 16" complete upper for $539 and BCGs they have are all in $250 range, when not so long ago there was a sale on some .308 BCGs in $150 range.

i also got to say, that after 2 barrels in 18" i kinda like how a 20" shoots better. you do not really feel it to be much longer than a 18".

Glad to hear that after I went 20" for my AR-10
only downside is that it makes gun heavier.
i may do one more upper as ultralight .308, in 16" with a minimal or no brake, fluted or pencil barrel, and put a 1-6x scope on it.
just now sue if i want more a light 6.5CM or light .308. i have one light .223 and like it very much, so, it may be worth doing.

i also have an 18" wilson arms fluted barrel that can be potentially cut down for the same purpose, as i do not like it anyway. :) but i suspect that to do it now at the armorer may cost more than to buy a 16" barrel, as i do not have access to any machinery here, so cannot do it myself.

Ya I don't care about weight for the AR-10. Even my SPR build AR-15 weight wasn't a big factor. Next is going to be some sort of SBR where I'll focus on weight. But honestly I'm eyeing the Kriss vector SBR.

Ya I don't care about weight for the AR-10. Even my SPR build AR-15 weight wasn't a big factor. Next is going to be some sort of SBR where I'll focus on weight. But honestly I'm eyeing the Kriss vector SBR.
a weight/size is never an issue until you`ll have to carry it around for some hours. :)
the faxon 16" pencil is around 1.78lb, but i really did not like the one i had, in 18" pencil. still, it would be more than adequate to hit a pigs head from a 100yds.

Thank For Everyone's reply
I did go with the AP 18" M5 upper, Just wanted to make it simple for now
The 600 was mostly for a perimeter, Have to start and end with something, And the field is about 600-700 yrds at the longest point before it gets into the woods
Weight is not really a factor, But I do wish they had a flush hunting mag. Bought 2 P-mags and they are the same dimensions as a 10 rounder but do say 5 rnd capacity
As far as price at PA. I can only imagine what it will be in 6 months.

Back
Top Bottom