.308? What do you load?

I was using a Leupold 3.5-10, non illuminated, back when ships were made out of wood, and men were made out of iron.

Here's a really good video:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5hvm1tbDyg

Phil and Caylen put out awesome content.

I got the thinking I might be wanting in terms of scope. Should I be looking for more powder?

3.5-10 seems a little light.
You don't NEED higher than 10x for 300yds, but it's nice to have for bench shooting groups. If you like the 10x and your only goal of getting a new scope is to see bullet holes in the target, it may be worth considering a good spotting scope instead, which you could use at the range with various rifles.

For what it might be worth, I have two “pet” .308 loads:

For my Savage bolt gun: 168 SMK, 42.2 grains of Reloder 15 (all trickle charged), CCI LR primer, Win brass, full length resize on all loads, 2.791” COAL (Savage has a tight chamber). With any cooperation from me (and the wind gods), a tack driver.

For my M1A: either 168 SMK or 165 SGK (I’ve yet to find much difference in accuracy), 42.2 grains of Win748 (all powder measure dumped), same primer but all primers gauged for NLT .004” sub-flush, 2.800” COAL, mixed brass all full length sized in SB die. Rifle has NM barrel and sights (iron). Given same qualifications (shooter with old eyes and wind), pretty consistently 1-1.5 MOA round.

Rounds have been chrono’d, but I don’t have the data on this computer; from memory, in the 2600 fps range.

Back
Top Bottom