• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

32-40 ammo find ×××update rifle found update in post #15xxx

whacko

NES Member
A buddy of mine is cleaning out his mother in laws house getting it ready to put on the market (she recently passed)

He found a box with 20 rounds of 32-40 remington in it. I did the cursory research and found that it was a chambering for the union hill model 8 and model 9 rifles. Some call the ammo 32-40 ballard and some call it 32-40 remington.

Any thoughts in this from the nes peanut gallery? Is it a rare find?

I told him to talk to the Inlaws and see if anyone knows if the father in law had a ballard rifle or a winchester lever action (there were some chambered in 32-40)

672691618.jpg 672691676.jpg

Last edited:
That ammo 32 40 Winchester was used for a Winchester John Wayne lever action gun. A friend had one and was asking me if I knew where he could get ammo for it. They don’t make it anymore.if he wants to sell it Pm me and I’ll put him in touch with my friend.

A buddy of mine is cleaning out his mother in laws house getting it ready to put on the market (she recently passed)

He found a box with 20 rounds of 32-40 remington in it. I did the cursory research and found that it was a chambering for the union hill model 8 and model 9 rifles. Some call the ammo 32-40 ballard and some call it 32-40 remington.

I told him to talk to the Inlaws and see if anyone knows if the father in law had a ballard rifle or a winchester lever action (there were some chambered in 32-40)

View attachment 608495View attachment 608496
This guy sells a lot of ammo.

He is legit, I bought a couple of wildcat pieces to collect. He also buys ammo. Looks like 32-40 is roughly $6/round.

I am sure original boxes increase the value.

View attachment 608495View attachment 608496
I like how they added the "U" on the face of the primer. Fancy

I was all set to talk about how "common" it was and then realized I was thinking of 32-20. LOL. I've never heard of 32-40. 32-20 is of a similar vintage to 44-40 and . . . it's been so long that I've forgotten all of that info. Just isn't important anymore.

I like how they added the "U" on the face of the primer. Fancy
Ruff job to have.
Would've been a bad job to take, though.
AdventurousSpeedyCicada-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:
I was all set to talk about how "common" it was and then realized I was thinking of 32-20. LOL. I've never heard of 32-40. 32-20 is of a similar vintage to 44-40 and . . . it's been so long that I've forgotten all of that info. Just isn't important anymore.
Common my a** !! I have an old .32-20 S&W pistol from my dad, and finding (handgun rated) ammunition for it is like trying to find a straight guy at a Judy Garland retrospective. As much as I'd like to fire my dad's old gun, $2.50 a round is a tad high for sentiment.

Last edited:
Common my a** !! I have an old .32-20 S&W pistol from my dad, and finding (handgun) rated ammunition for it is like trying to find a straight guy at a Judy Garland retrospective. As much as I'd like to fire my dad's old gun, $2.50 a round is a tad high for sentiment.
Dan Wesson made a small number of revolvers in 32-20. Even reloading that caliber isn’t cheap unless you cast your own bullets. A142C813-EE14-465C-9336-007196FA00ED.jpeg

Dan Wesson made a small number of revolvers in 32-20. Even reloading that caliber isn’t cheap unless you cast your own bullets. View attachment 609285
I've never seen that one ! I love my DW 15-2, and that would almost make setting up reloading a viable option. Is that rated to fire the rifle loads as well as typical handgun loads ?

Was at my buddies inlaws today to say hi and check out the yardsale. I asked his bil if he had a chance to ask around in the family to see who would have had the rifle that the ammo was for. He said he knew there were some old gun cases in the attic but he hadn't had a chance to open any of them he was told they were all empty. Well......I said.....let's check em out. Low and behold a winchester 94 in 32 40 was in one of the cases. Well oiled action and bore.......the bore is shiny as it was stored with a greased rag down the barrel. Action is smooth. The only rust is on the lever and some on the receiver. Totally shoot able condition. My buddy has an ltc and will take possession until he decides what to do with it. That was cool finding that with him. The house has been owned by the family for 5 generations so he does not know who owned it. Serial number puts it to 1920 manufacture. Beautiful rifle.

Attachments

• 20220501_133411.jpg
    20220501_133411.jpg
    376.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220501_133430.jpg
    20220501_133430.jpg
    276.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Was at my buddies inlaws today to say hi and check out the yardsale. I asked his bil if he had a chance to ask around in the family to see who would have had the rifle that the ammo was for. He said he knew there were some old gun cases in the attic but he hadn't had a chance to open any of them he was told they were all empty. Well......I said.....let's check em out. Low and behold a winchester 94 in 32 40 was in one of the cases. Well oiled action and bore.......the bore is shiny as it was stored with a greased rag down the barrel. Action is smooth. The only rust is on the lever and some on the receiver. Totally shoot able condition. My buddy has an ltc and will take possession until he decides what to do with it. That was cool finding that with him. The house has been owned by the family for 5 generations so he does not know who owned it. Serial number puts it to 1920 manufacture. Beautiful rifle.
That’s wicked cool. I was handed down a Model 94 in .32 win special and love shooting it. Would do so more if ammo was more common.

That looks like old .32/40 Winchester ammo made by Remington. It's not rare. It's just expensive and hard to find. If you find the rifle, it would be a good excuse to get into reloading.

That looks like old .32/40 Winchester ammo made by Remington. It's not rare. It's just expensive and hard to find. If you find the rifle, it would be a good excuse to get into reloading.
Read the update lol

We found the rifle. I shoot mostly my own reloads so you don't need to convince me to reload.

Last edited:
I am sure your budy is a nice guy, but he doesn't sound very smart.

The right thing to do is to transfer the rifle to you, he is an idiot and will let it rust out of laziness.

He was so lazy he couldn't be bothered to open some rifle cases.

In his mind he didn't have that rifle so he should let the guy, that actually put some energy into finding it, keep it.
Back the f*** up.

My buddy had nothing to do with this. The house belonged to my buddies mother in law and she died 2 weeks ago. HIs in laws are cleaning the house out and he's just helping. Nobody has been in that attic in decades so it isn't even the in laws f***ing fault. My buddy has an ltc, owns plenty of fire arms and knows how to care for them. He's just taking possession temporarily because none of the inlaws are licensed.

Feel free to

1. Work on your reading comprehension

Or

2. Go f*** yourself

Back the f*** up.

My buddy had nothing to do with this. The house belonged to my buddies mother in law and she died 2 weeks ago. HIs in laws are cleaning the house out and he's just helping. Nobody has been in that attic in decades so it isn't even the in laws f***ing fault. My buddy has an ltc, owns plenty of fire arms and knows how to care for them. He's just taking possession temporarily because none of the inlaws are licensed.

Feel free to

1. Work on your reading comprehension

Or

2. Go f*** yourself
Relax bud.

I didnt go back to the OP to read it again.

Back
Top Bottom